General Category > General Discussion

1200 sport no start...turn key nothing but headlight

(1/8) > >>

Rosso Woody:
Tried to start my 1200 sport last night and nothing. The security light is blinking on the dash but nothing else when you turn the key on except the small headlight. Checked main fuses and block behind the battery ...all good. Also checked the battery and all good. There was some fluid in battery tray but battery is fine must got some water in there.

Any help appreciated

biking sailor:
Start with simple things, kill switch, neutral, side stand in gear.  Make sure dash is doing needle sweep, and immobilizer recognizing key and confirm fuel pump is running for a few seconds when turning key on.  Next I would connect to battery charger and try again (sometimes hard to really diagnose a bad/weak battery).  Then get into all the "Startus Interuptus" stuff.  I would find a hill or someone to push it to see if it will bump start and run OK just to start ruling things out.

Fluid in the battery tray, was battery on a charger and possibly boiled out some water?

Graham UK:
When I had that problem with the Breva it turned out to be the battery.  It really does need to be in tip top condition.  If you're sure it isn't that, I've heard of problems with a lead for the started motor - some have run an extra lead; but, as I'm not a techy, I'd better let those who know better than me provide the details!

Rosso Woody:
Put in a brand new spare battery I had here for the 1100 sport and it acts the same. A buddy told me about checking the ground also. That is the next step!

tpeever:
Have you checked for battery terminal corrosion and connections? Seems to be an issue on these bikes.

https://www.motointernational.com/blog/news-and-events/post/moto-guzzi-battery-cable-cleaning

My Sport wouldn't start for me after stopping for gas on a long trip in 100F heat. Terminals were all corroded and it seemed to happen pretty fast. Once cleaned up away it went!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version