Author Topic: Skunked - NGC  (Read 2244 times)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Skunked - NGC
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
For all the years I've lived in the country, I've never had a significant Skunk encounter until this AM:

5AM dogs (2 Labs) got me up for their breakfast as usual, then out to do their AM rounds, while I returned to bed. Five-year-old came in through doggy door in what seemed a bit more urgency than usual, followed a few minutes later by the two-year-old - into the bed with us as usual. WHAT IS THAT SMELL???!!!
SKUNK - must've been a distant or retreating spray; Bucky not in any ophth, resp, or facial distress.

What now? - to bathtub (I'd already disassembled the outdoor dog wash station in anticipation of freezing temps), and aggressive scrub with shampoo and then Peroxide - to surprisingly good result!
Still laundering the sheets.
File peroxide away as positive result (know country folk recommend tomato juice, but that's gotta make a mess)
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Skunked - NGC
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
add some Dawn dishwashing soap to the peroxide and add baking soda

Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon Dawn

So much wildlife where I live, my dogs are never out w/o me being there.
I'm talking coyotes bobcat, mountain lion, black bear, etc.

and be sure your rabies vacc. id UTD. skunks are the #1 carrier of rabies
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:34:48 AM by yogidozer »

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
add some Dawn dishwashing soap to the peroxide and add baking soda

So much wildlife where I live, my dogs are never out w/o me being there.
I'm talking coyotes bobcat, mountain lion, black bear, etc.

and be sure your rabies vacc. id UTD. skunks are the #1 carrier of rabies
Good reminder on the Rabies - skunks and raccoons in these parts.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
Often a dog will get "shot" in the face/eyes. Burns like heck for them. use some sterile eye drops to ease the irritation

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »
My golden and standard schnauzer played tug of war with one of those smelly striped kitty's one time. The mixture mentioned above was a good start but I found there are only 3 things that take the smell out. If sprayed in November, its December January and February.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:09:58 PM »
I agree with Guzzista John. My little jack russell got sprayed a year ago, we tried everything, including tomato juice. You could smell it for a couple of months, wherever she layed down etc. It helps to hang the dog bed in the sun to get the UV to cleanse it. It really is some tenacious stuff!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
A couple of weeks ago our neighbor caught a skunk in a live trap.

Our 10-month-old cat Zorro attacked it through the mesh.

Lot of spitting and screeching but no spray. Neighbor chased the cat off, so Zorra ran across the road and attacked a flock of wild turkeys. Wound up riding a turkey's back down the ravine and into the bushes. Came home an hour later.

Then neighbor shot the skunk and the whole neighborhood went rank.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:32 PM »
A couple of weeks ago our neighbor caught a skunk in a live trap.

Our 10-month-old cat Zorro attacked it through the mesh.

Lot of spitting and screeching but no spray. Neighbor chased the cat off, so Zorra ran across the road and attacked a flock of wild turkeys. Wound up riding a turkey's back down the ravine and into the bushes. Came home an hour later.

Then neighbor shot the skunk and the whole neighborhood went rank.

And why did he shoot the skunk?

Dean
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:19:00 PM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
My 18 pound ankle biter loves skunks. He's been sprayed a few times but when he can he'll  go up to them and try to make friends. He seems to be fascinated by them
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »
Long Beach PD K9 unit swears by summers eve Douche.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Long Beach PD K9 unit swears by summers eve Douche.

What John said.  Never had to do it, but I recall a radio show where the "voice of authority" said the real solution was feminine douche, cited the powerful deodorizers. 
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »
What John said.  Never had to do it, but I recall a radio show where the "voice of authority" said the real solution was feminine douche, cited the powerful deodorizers.

imagine the looks if a guy goes to the store to buy some  :wink:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
I live in the country at the end of a dirt road and have my share of my two dogs coming home after an encounter with a skunk so I’m an authority. Forget all the old wives tales about vinegar, tomato juice and all the rest, they don’t work. The only fix is several baths with good shampoo and a couple days in the lot or outside by themselves. :(

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Skunks are easy. Porcupines are tragic.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
Kind of old topic.  Unfortunately, I became relevant tonight.  My 20lb mix got the over spray from a skunk tonight.  Not a direct shot thankfully.  Didn't immediately notice when I let her in.  Thanks to the encyclopedic knowledge here, I found a helpful older thread in the archives.  I learned that these ingredients could help and indeed they work well.  I would suggest a double batch mixed up in a stopped tub.  I stocked up for future needs.

I live beside an railroad easement which has been turned into a bike trail.  Now it harbors skunks and other undesirable city vermin.  I'm going to put a live trap to work and try to remove the skunk(s).  Can't shoot them in the city.  Hardly see them anyway.  I have a trap, but not sure what to bait it with.
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 10:41:21 PM »
Kind of old topic.  Unfortunately, I became relevant tonight.  My 20lb mix got the over spray from a skunk tonight.  Not a direct shot thankfully.  Didn't immediately notice when I let her in.  Thanks to the encyclopedic knowledge here, I found a helpful older thread in the archives.  I learned that these ingredients could help and indeed they work well.  I would suggest a double batch mixed up in a stopped tub.  I stocked up for future needs.

Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, � cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon Dawn

I live beside an railroad easement which has been turned into a bike trail.  Now it harbors skunks and other undesirable city vermin.  I'm going to put a live trap to work and try to remove the skunk(s).  Can't shoot them in the city.  Hardly see them anyway.  I have a trap, but not sure what to bait it with.
If you didn't notice immediately, you, and her are lucky. Check to see her eyes are not red/tearing. If so flush with water. It burns their eyes like crazy. I got into the habit of being outside with my dogs, bringing a flashlight. You will see the eyes of animals light up when light hits them. My area has just about every kind of critter, coyotes, bobcats, Fisher cats, etc. Gotta keep them safe

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
 I once had to remove a skunk from my brothers barn.   I put a six foot rope onto the handle of a havahart trap.
 I baited it with cat food and the next morning he was in there.  I got a 6x6 blue plastic tarp and held it in front of me to approach the trap.  They won't spray if they don't see you.  I lay the tarp over the trap and carried it draped over the trap with the skunk inside.  I went to the neighbors boat dock and lowered the trap into the water.  This taught the skunk to hold his breath for the rest of his life.. With the trap in the water, I removed the tarp and tied the rope to a cleat.  I came back half an hour later and took him to the dumpster.  He had never sprayed inside the trap.  I dumped the trap and the job was done with almost no scent at all.  I don't know how long he held his breath since I didn't stay to watch but I am certain that he didn't cheat and take another.  If you have to get rid of a skunk, this is the most scentless way to do it.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
I once had to remove a skunk from my brothers barn.   I put a six foot rope onto the handle of a havahart trap.
 I baited it with cat food and the next morning he was in there.  I got a 6x6 blue plastic tarp and held it in front of me to approach the trap.  They won't spray if they don't see you.  I lay the tarp over the trap and carried it draped over the trap with the skunk inside.  I went to the neighbors boat dock and lowered the trap into the water.  This taught the skunk to hold his breath for the rest of his life.. With the trap in the water, I removed the tarp and tied the rope to a cleat.  I came back half an hour later and took him to the dumpster.  He had never sprayed inside the trap.  I dumped the trap and the job was done with almost no scent at all.  I don't know how long he held his breath since I didn't stay to watch but I am certain that he didn't cheat and take another.  If you have to get rid of a skunk, this is the most scentless way to do it.
you should have went underwater and had a "see who could hold your breath the longest" contest  :grin:
Not a fan of skunks, but I would have released them into a wooded area. except for humans, all critters do some good. skunks keep insects and mice in check. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »
you should have went underwater and had a "see who could hold your breath the longest" contest  :grin:
Not a fan of skunks, but I would have released them into a wooded area. except for humans, all critters do some good. skunks keep insects and mice in check.

Whose wooded area?   One of the problems we have here is people coming out from the city and dumping animals in "a field" or on "a farm" or "in the woods", never thinking about the fact that someone OWNS it and lives there, and doesn't want your problems dumped on them ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:40 PM »
Whose wooded area?   One of the problems we have here is people coming out from the city and dumping animals in "a field" or on "a farm" or "in the woods", never thinking about the fact that someone OWNS it and lives there, and doesn't want your problems dumped on them ....

Lannis
Ever hear of a state forest, nature preserve? Or do you live a condo, off main st.? So if you find a raccoon, possum, or woodchuck, you just drown them?
a little twisted are we?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
Ever hear of a state forest, nature preserve? Or do you live a condo, off main st.? So if you find a raccoon, possum, or woodchuck, you just drown them?
a little twisted are we?

So when you have an animal to relocate, you take it to a "State Forest" or a "Nature Reserve"?

Got one of those real close by?    Maybe map that for us so we'll know how far to travel with a skunk in a Hav-A-Hart trap.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »
So when you have an animal to relocate, you take it to a "State Forest" or a "Nature Reserve"?

Got one of those real close by?    Maybe map that for us so we'll know how far to travel with a skunk in a Hav-A-Hart trap.

Lannis
less than a mile away from the Pootatuck state forest. 2 miles to Great Hollow preserve. 8 black bears were relocated there just last year.
10 miles to the Appalachian trail.
even shooting the skunk would be more humane that putting it, alive, in a trap and drowning it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here