Author Topic: Ikon Rear Shock Bushes. Have you changed them?  (Read 8171 times)

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
Ikon Rear Shock Bushes. Have you changed them?
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:53 AM »
Has anyone changed the bushes on their Ikon shocks? Mine fell apart very early on in the piece, I ordered some new ones but I am struggling to fit them without tearing the rubber apart, as per the pic.

I used plenty of silicone grease and a large nut, bolt and washer arrangement through the steel centre of the bush, which pulled them into place when I tightened it up. I even tried a tight zip tie around the leading end of the bush to compress it as it enters the shock but the bush is such a tight fit and the rubber is so cheap and nasty that large slices of it peel off every time I try it. Any ideas?

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ikon Rear Shock Bushes. Have you changed them?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Not sure if this helps but the non OEM ones I fitted didn't have the middle bush bonded in

Method was

Pull sleeve out
    Shove rubber bush in
    Put sleeve back in
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 05:00:40 PM »
Not sure if this helps but the non OEM ones I fitted didn't have the middle bush bonded in

Method was

Pull sleeve out
    Shove rubber bush in
    Put sleeve back in

It helps if you can tell me where you got the bushes from?  :smiley:

The Ikon ones have the centre bush attached to the rubber unfortunately.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
I got Ikon rubbers and had to compress them in, with a vice and a socket.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »
I got Ikon rubbers and had to compress them in, with a vice and a socket.

Did they end up looking like a peeled banana, like mine?

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »
Did they end up looking like a peeled banana, like mine?

No. Just having a wild guess but are there any sharp edges around the eye of your shock that could cut the rubber?
Just found my notes.
       "26mm socket on one side and an 11mm socket on the other"
It is so long since doing this that I barely recall anything but reading between the lines, I think that the rubber needs to protrude out one side of the eye for some distance, before it is installed neatly.

Good Luck :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:06:42 PM »
No. Just having a wild guess but are there any sharp edges around the eye of your shock that could cut the rubber?
Just found my notes.
       "26mm socket on one side and an 11mm socket on the other"
It is so long since doing this that I barely recall anything but reading between the lines, I think that the rubber needs to protrude out one side of the eye for some distance, before it is installed neatly.

Good Luck :grin:

Thanks for that, it`s pretty much what I did using a thick nut and bolt instead of a vice.  :sad:

Ikon are Australian assembled but from components made exclusively in China, so it`s possible that I just have a shitty batch of bushes. IMHO these Ikons are no better than the $140 Tec shocks sold on ebay, in fact the bushes are easier to change on the Tec shocks, as the centre bush can be removed, as mentioned earlier. I`m pissed off that the bushes fell apart in the first place, so I won`t be buying another set of Ikons.

There are no sharp edges but there is a raised seam in the centre of the top eye. I`ll see if anyone else comes up with a stroke of genius that willl be worth trying.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:08:19 PM by welshrob »

SDC

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 05:42:57 AM »
Interesting read. I've been thinking about getting a pair of icons - I might think some more...

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
Whoa.  Seems like some knee-jerking in the latest posts here.  Hagon and Ikon, pretty much the two most well regarded sub-$500 replacement shocks available.  After that, you're up near $1000 for aftermarket shocks.

Other than this crappy OEM Ikon rubber bushing assembly, what else don't you like about the shocks?  From what I gathered doing my homework, crappy bushing or not, they are night-and-day better than the POS factory Guzzi shocks on my V7II Stone.  I've got a new set of Ikons waiting for springtime installation.

Seems the fix was posted by "tris".  And I bet for pretty cheap, too.  tris, can you direct us to the bushing you used?  Supplier and model number?  I may need that information myself sometime.  Thanks.  New bushings for decent, reasonably priced shocks seems a LOT cheaper than a $1000 set of shocks with perfect bushings.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
Other than this crappy OEM Ikon rubber bushing assembly, what else don't you like about the shocks?  From what I gathered doing my homework, crappy bushing or not, they are night-and-day better than the POS factory Guzzi shocks on my V7II Stone.  I've got a new set of Ikons waiting for springtime installation.

What else? Have a look at the top mounts on the OEM Sachs, then have a look at the Ikons. The top bush in the Sachs is metal, because it butts up against a narrow shoulder on the mount. With the Ikons, the centre of the rubber bush butts up against this shoulder but not the rest of it. What this means is that the shock can move laterally on the mount and tear it, which is EXACTLY what happened to mine. The bush was still bolted to the mount, the shock eye had slid off the bush and was clonking around on the inside of the mount, which was extremely dangerous. I will take a pic later and post it, which will make more sense.

What I like about the ikons
, adjustable damping and progressive spring.
What I don`t like, they don`t mount properly because they are not made specifically for the bike, only 4 pre load positions which are cam adjustable, poor bushes.

What I like about the OEM Sachs, Fully adjustable pre load with fine adjustment from locking rings, mount firmly as they are designed for the bike,
What I don`t like is that they have no damping adjustment and a constant rate spring.

The Sachs OEM are a much better quality item than the Ikons, just more basic. As I have stated early, TEC shocks are half the price, I had them on my Bonneville and looking at them side by side with the Ikons I would say that all of the bits came out of the same factory in China.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:42:00 AM by welshrob »

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »
It looks like they might require a tool like Triumph made to install the rocker arm shafts in the T120-160 models (60-2221).  Maybe someone on the beeb could machine something that works.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:11:39 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

guzzipete

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 06:40:44 PM »

The seals on my Ikons failed at around 10k miles. I think the rebuild quote from Ikon was around $200 plus shipping. Found a local guy that rebuilt them for $120. I put the OEM shocks back on. For what I use the bike (V7 Classic) the OEM shocks work just fine. Sold the Ikons after the rebuild.

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
welshrob- is your bike a V7 version?  What year?  Just wondering.  Sorry about the hassles.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 12:27:55 AM »
welshrob- is your bike a V7 version?  What year?  Just wondering.  Sorry about the hassles.

Steve.

No hassles Steve, the reason we`re all here is to swap information and opinions!  :smiley: It is a 2009 V7 Classic.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 05:11:26 AM »
OK, here are some pics, so Steve and some others can actually see WTF I am moaning about.

Firstly, this is my right hand top shock mount. You can see where the shock sits, the bolt holds it place on one side and the slightly raised shoulder is holding it on the other.

Secondly, this is what happened to my Ikons. I have put the old bush back on the mount for the picture, this is the ACTUAL bush that tore out of the top of my shock. The shock detached itself from the bush and was clonking around on the inside bit. I have put a rubber washer on there to illustrate where the top eye of the shock ended up. When I took the Ikons off, ALL of the bushes were coming apart, I could push one other one out with my fingers.

This is the top mount of the OEM Sachs shock. It has two metal bushes that only push n from the outside and lock against the eye of the shock. No lateral movement or popping off with these! In an ideal world I would just be able to take these bushes out and they would fit straight into the Ikons. Yeah right!

So now you can see why I think the bushes and the way Ikons mount to the bike is not only shitty, but potentially dangerous too. Its not normal to check your shock mounts before each ride, so we usually find out about failures like this AFTER they`ve happened. Ask me how I know.  :sad:

This would all be ok, if the shock mounting bushes had a tolerance fit steel casing, like the more expensive ones but they don`t, They come with cheapo ones which fail easily.

This is how I pushed the replacement ones in. Or should I say, wrecked them trying to push them in.  :sad:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:28:13 AM by welshrob »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
My Ikon shocks came with large washer to trap the bushings in place to prevent that.
I wonder if tire lube would have worked better.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
The rubber bushes on my Konis squeezed out the side. I had the bushings replaced, and these squeezed out the sides too. How about ditching the rubber and using nylon?
May all beings be happy

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »
The rubber bushes on my Konis squeezed out the side. I had the bushings replaced, and these squeezed out the sides too. How about ditching the rubber and using nylon?

Ok, same problem as me, obviously.

I called Ikon about this when it happened, they were not interested. The girl I spoke to sounded like she was reading from a sheet when she replied "designed to the highest standards blah blah, extensive testing blah blah, never had any complaints blah blah, sold thousands blah blah,"

I think on a lot of bikes they will probably be fine, depending on how the shock mounts. Not on the V7 though.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
My Ikon shocks came with large washer to trap the bushings in place to prevent that.

This is the answer, always fit shocks so they are trapped, is potential killer not to. OE ones in pic are safe, untrapped rubber bushes not.
Fitting error not shock manufacture caused shock to jump ship

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 12:23:38 AM »
This is the answer, always fit shocks so they are trapped, is potential killer not to. OE ones in pic are safe, untrapped rubber bushes not.
Fitting error not shock manufacture caused shock to jump ship

Where`s the facepalm smiley when you need one?

Firstly, I know you mean well and thanks for the input but maybe if we could please, pretty please stick to providing the help I asked for rather than coming up with theories as to why I am wrong, then I wouldn`t have to keep going to the bike and taking pictures.  :smiley:

If I fit a large 4cm diameter washer on each side of the shock rubber it will prevent the shock leaping off, like it did. It WILL NOT stop dangerous lateral movement. When you tighten the shock mount bolts, they hold the centre of the bush which is 5mm wider than the shock eye.

Have a look at the picture. See the gap between the shock and the washer? The shock will twist and slide between that gap, 2.5mm in either direction. It will slide out and hit one washer, then slide in and hit the other. This pic was taken after fitting the shocks and taking a 20km test ride. The bush is already getting ripped up and the top of shock is twisted. The shock eye will move from 5mm from side to side between these washers. Is that OK, do you think?

In case anyone is wondering how this could be, or what other stupid thing that I must have done to make this happen, the next pic should hopefully explain it. It is a replacement bush. The narrow bit is the same width as the shock, the wide bit is the steel bush in the centre. So between the top pic and this pic, you can see why the shock has excessive lateral movement.

Secondly, I DID NOT get any washers with my Ikons and no instructions telling me to use any. Here are the fitting instructions...

http://www.ikonsuspension.com/fitting-adjustment/

I went out and bought the washers pictured from a nut and bolt shop, the ones in the pic are slightly too small, they need to be 3cm in diameter at least, if they are going to stop the shock popping off. To say it looks crappy, is an understatement.

Thirdly, have a look at the left hand swing arm mount and tell me how you intend to fit the washers there?

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 01:33:32 AM »
Where`s the facepalm smiley when you need one?

Firstly, I know you mean well and thanks for the input but maybe if we could please, pretty please stick to providing the help I asked for rather than coming up with theories as to why I am wrong, then I wouldn`t have to keep going to the bike and taking pictures.  :smiley:

Secondly, I DID NOT get any washers with my Ikons and no instructions telling me to use any. Here are the fitting instructions...

http://www.ikonsuspension.com/fitting-adjustment/

Thirdly, have a look at the left hand swing arm mount and tell me how you intend to fit the washers there?
OK
1/ I use a tool I've had for 30 years, is a Marzocchi spring compressor with bush changing doodad
Marzocchi or Hagon bushes may fit, google for suppliers / dimensions
2/ "Furnished spacers" imply they should have been there
3/ Can't see pic but if mount is shorter than steel bush, I'd possibly use washer with small (8mm) ID and large enough ID to stop it jumping.

I totally agree it is unusable as is but new bushes & spacers should work, thousands of these shocks out there

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 01:34:55 AM »
Whoa.  Seems like some knee-jerking in the latest posts here.  Hagon and Ikon, pretty much the two most well regarded sub-$500 replacement shocks available.  After that, you're up near $1000 for aftermarket shocks.

Seems the fix was posted by "tris".  And I bet for pretty cheap, too.  tris, can you direct us to the bushing you used?  Supplier and model number?  I may need that information myself sometime.  Thanks.  New bushings for decent, reasonably priced shocks seems a LOT cheaper than a $1000 set of shocks with perfect bushings.

Steve.

Now you're asking - that was a while back now but I'll see if I can track them down
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 01:48:46 AM »
Remarkable - the system worked!!

Here's the company I bought them from
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/motorbikeshocksonline/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

However the actual ones don't appear to be there now - I bought them back in September 2014

IIRC thought they had a website too so might be worth having a look about.

FYI My shocks as installed by MG had an oversized washer on the out board end of the mounting bolt. Presumably if the rubber bush disintegrated the shock itself wouldn't come off the bike
2017 V9 Roamer

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 08:52:39 AM »
What else? Have a look at the top mounts on the OEM Sachs, then have a look at the Ikons. The top bush in the Sachs is metal, because it butts up against a narrow shoulder on the mount. With the Ikons, the centre of the rubber bush butts up against this shoulder but not the rest of it. What this means is that the shock can move laterally on the mount and tear it, which is EXACTLY what happened to mine. The bush was still bolted to the mount, the shock eye had slid off the bush and was clonking around on the inside of the mount, which was extremely dangerous. I will take a pic later and post it, which will make more sense.

What I like about the ikons
, adjustable damping and progressive spring.
What I don`t like, they don`t mount properly because they are not made specifically for the bike, only 4 pre load positions which are cam adjustable, poor bushes.

What I like about the OEM Sachs, Fully adjustable pre load with fine adjustment from locking rings, mount firmly as they are designed for the bike,
What I don`t like is that they have no damping adjustment and a constant rate spring.

The Sachs OEM are a much better quality item than the Ikons, just more basic. As I have stated early, TEC shocks are half the price, I had them on my Bonneville and looking at them side by side with the Ikons I would say that all of the bits came out of the same factory in China.

I don't like the stick-tion of the rod and the seal.  After several thousand miles, the shocks still do not rebound completely on the lightest spring setting unless I pull up on the bike. Then it does not sag bag unless I push back down on the bike.    The bushing were not installed when I purchased mine.  It take three different bushing sleevs to install.  I used the socket-vice method with lube.  Still peeled the rubber  back.  I have straight rate springs. 

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
I find this all just a tad horrifying. Where are Girling when you need them?

I used to sell Girlings They were of equivalent performance to Koni, which Ikons are supposed to be, 'cept as per Brit law they were sealed.  Girling made the right suspension units for a bike (inc. those made in Japan and elsewhere) without regard to whatever junk was OEM.

Never heard of this problem before from either Girling or Koni.

I think 'twere me I would march off to my nearest shock absorber specialist with the Ikons in hand and the split steel collars from the Sachs ones and get him to carve up (and fit) some Teflon bushes to marry the two.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 04:52:59 AM »
Welshrob, I couldn't understand this as we have good reports of the Ikons from all over, and I want (eventually) to buy some for my bike. I want their business to be around and healthy when I want some of their products so I hope you don't mind but I alerted them to this thread.

The following is a copy of the email I sent. (with a link to the thread)

Subject: Somebody over there at Ikon REALLY needs to see this.

It would seem that Koni hasn't just been re-branded as Ikon but has also been dealt to in the form of rubbish Chinese manufacture. And here I was thinking they were made in Australia and maybe I would get some!

Irrespective of the truth or otherwise of the above statements about Ikon, you guys really need to check this out, and bear in mind that this is a thread on a motorcycle message board that has over 6000 members. It will without doubt spread to other message boards via some of the members who are involved with more than one, and on, and on. VERY bad PR.

And here for your perusal is their reply.

Dear John,

Thank you very much for contacting Ikon Suspension and making us aware of the concerns and comments being made.

We can assure you that Ikon Suspension is not made in China. It is an Australian product that has been based in Albury, NSW for over 15 years.

When purchasing replacement bushes from Ikon we always advise the customer to ensure that they have the proper equipment and tooling to push the bushes in or we are more than happy to that for them if they send us the shocks. If the customer has at any time any concerns we are more than happy to talk with them and offer what assistance we can. If we believe it is necessary we will suggest that they send them in to us to fit them.

When fitting our shocks for the V7 we do recommend the reuse of the original parts that come with the original suspension to ensure that the suspension is appropriately fitted. We also recommend that the tightening of suspension bushes should be done at ride height. This ideally means that before the top and bottom bolts are finally done up the suspension is placed on the ground and preferably with riding load applied so as to allow the mounting bushes to be in their most relaxed position at ride height. This reduces the chance of excessive wear and tear on the bushes, especially with suspension set ups where the shock absorber is leaned forward as there is more rotation, compression and extension than on a vertically mounted shock absorber.

As previously mentioned we are more than happy to assist any customer with any enquiry or question that they may have at any time. If the original poster on the forum would like to get in contact with us directly we are more than happy to assist them with the fitting of their bushes and any other concerns that they have.

We will take the raised concerns in regards to the fitting and adjustment instructions to our next technical team meeting to ensure that our instructions are up to date and easy to understand. 

If you have any questions please call or email on the details below.

Warm regards,

Stephanie
Ikon Suspension
sales@ikonsuspension.com
(02) 6040 9955
www.ikonsuspension. com

New Zealand

Offline Luxexterior

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »
I had a similar problem replacing worn bushes in my Koni's (same as Ikons, just older). I tried Ikon buses assuming they would be the same, they certainly looked the same, but had problems fitting them pretty much as described by the OP. I got them in but they were pretty much destroyed in 100 or so miles probably due to the damage sustained during fitting. I bought a set of replacement buses specifically intended for Koni shocks from German company HMB & these proved easy to fit & have been fine in use since.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
I was told by the U.S. supplier of my Ikon shocks that the shock should rotate freely around the mounting stud or screw when tightened.  That any pressure on the rubber bushing from placing washers on the stud and bolt adds to the sticktion.  I was told to take a razor blade and trim any rubber bushing back that extended beyond the steel sleeve inside the rubber bushing. I was told that when I tighten the mounting screw that it should not tighten up against the washers or the steel sleeve.  Upon further research, I found that this must be a correct method of installation because there are shocks manufactured with roller bearing in place of steel sleeves and rubber bushings. There are roller bearing that will fit the Ikons and eliminate the bushing.  Giving you a much better performing shock.  Placing a shock in a bind at the bushing does not make practical sense.  As I said in my previous post, my Ikon's have so much sticktion on the rod, they will not fully extend when installed.  As far as where they are made that did not matter to me. 

Here is an example.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3072
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:10:28 AM by Orange Guzzi »

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:27 AM »
Welshrob, I couldn't understand this as we have good reports of the Ikons from all over, and I want (eventually) to buy some for my bike. I want their business to be around and healthy when I want some of their products so I hope you don't mind but I alerted them to this thread.

No, not at all. When someone is moaning about it all over the www, it gets a much better response than a single customer (ie me) calling up and complaining. As you can see by your reply, they are not acknowledging any issue.I have already posted the response to my initial telephone call to them, which was also not interested in acknowledging a problem, just the "we've never had any problems, it must be you" speech. Their reply to you also states "When fitting our shocks for the V7 we do recommend the reuse of the original parts that come with the original suspension to ensure that the suspension is appropriately fitted." Not sure where they recommended tha, certainly not in my instructions but it`s irrelevant anyway because their shock has a 26mm eye, the oem Sachs has a 24mm eye, so IT. CANNOT. BE. DONE. More nonsense from them, I`m afraid.

They also say "We can assure you that Ikon Suspension is not made in China. It is an Australian product that has been based in Albury, NSW for over 15 years." That is ambiguous. They have been outed on other forums for being ASSEMBLED in Australia using parts made in China. In all fairness to Ikon, it`s mostly forum hearsay so Ikon could actually be right. I would suggest you ask them directly, in writing, where all the components they use are made. Hopefully that will give you a straight answer.

I was told by Ikon initially, that the replacement rubber bushes push straight in with a bit of persuasion, or yes, they could fit them for me if I wanted but there was a charge for fitting, plus I`d have to pay shipping (they are 1800km away) for the shocks both ways. Being a reasonably adept mechanic I chose to fit them myself, because I didn`t expect to run into so many problems and as the bushes alone cost me $61 and I didn`t really want any more expense.

Ikon shocks may well be good on other models of Moto Guzzi, or other bikes, like the W800 or Triumph Bonnevilles. As I stated in my comparison with the OEM earlier, I have no issues with the shock itself, just that IT DOES NOT MOUNT PROPERLY on my Moto Guzzi V7 and the original factory bushes fell apart and left me riding a potentially dangerous bike.

I`ll sum up what I`ve learned from personal experience and what several others have posted here.

1.The bushes can and do, fall apart. I only have 6000km on my V7 and not all of those were done with the Ikons on. Others have also experienced this and posted in this thread, so I`m not imagining it.

2. They are NOT a good fit on this bike and are potentially dangerous because the shock eye slides laterally on the bush under pressure and damages the bush. Again, I`m not the only person this has happened to and I`ve posted enough pictures to prove this and to dispel any doubt. Very few people make a habit of checking their shock bushes, EVER so there are an unknown amount of people riding around with their Ikons in this condition and if you run with a rack or grab handles you`ll probably never even notice it happening.

3. Large washers can help the shock from coming off the mount completely but will not stop lateral movement or the bush tearing apart. As others have posted, this may also cause stiction issues.

4. Changing the bushes is not really a home workshop job. This is NOT the fault of Ikon, it is what it is.

I have never complained about a product online before. I didn`t start this thread to complain, I started it to find out how to fit the bushes and to find out if anybody else had this issue, it turned into a moan!

I don`t want anything from Ikon, I don`t want my money back or any sort of compensation, I don`t care about what it`s cost me but I`m not prepared to waste any more of my time trying to fix this problem, either. In my opinion, Ikon need to do something about this issue. I`ve given my opinion and backed it up with plenty of pictures, so it will be here to see for anyone in the future considering their shocks for a V7.

I decided that I am NOT going to attempt to fit them to the bike again, I simply don`t want them on the bike any more, I don`t feel safe riding with them. I thought about putting them on ebay but I really don`t want to give someone else a dangerous problem, so I`m going to take the springs off and sell those and throw the rest of the shock in the bin.

A heartfelt thanks to all those who contributed tried to help with this frustrating issue.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:36:44 AM by welshrob »

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
.... because their shock has a 26mm eye, the oem Sachs has a 24mm eye, so IT. CANNOT. BE. DONE.

Is it possible you have been supplied with the wrong bushes?
New Zealand

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here