Author Topic: V7 Owners with Agostini Pipes  (Read 12445 times)

jevincen

V7 Owners with Agostini Pipes
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »
I'm considering Agostini pipes for my 2013 v7 stone.  Did any of you that installed the Agostini pipes need to have the fueling changed?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:47:43 PM by vGuzzi63 »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 Owners with Agostini Pipes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
NO, if you leave the DB killers in.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:31:50 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »

:drool

The silver & black Strykers complement the silver and black special so well!   ;-T
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »
Yes.  I had already re-mapped the bike for a richer mixture so I knew how it could run.  Adding the pipes, with the db killers in, required additional remapping.

Well not on my bike.  No other fuel mods.   Runs just as good with the Agos as it did with stock.

Having said that, were I to live within riding distance of GuzziTech I'd let Todd take a poke at it.

And thanks (to you) Jay, the bags have been great.  Latest addition to the bike has been these:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=61196

They just dissappear on the bike.  That's what I wanted.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:34:15 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »

Offline Sportsterleroy

• Gosling
    • 1976 Moto GuzziT3 rebirth of da turd
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
I'm considering Agostini pipes for my 2013 v7 stone.  Did any of you that installed the Agostini pipes need to have the fueling changed?

Know little about v7 but Phil at Cleveland Moto came to the ohio rally with his hotrod V7 racer. he had those pipes on it and sounded sweet. He is also ordering some for his stock at dealer.

Where in Ohio are you?

Leroy in Cleveland
Leroy
Cleveland Ohio
1977 Moto Guzzi Convert
1976 Moto Guzzi 850 T3
2006 Harley Road glide
1996 Harley Sportster 1200
http://977motoguzziconvertproject.shutterfly.com/
http://1976motoguzzit3rebirthofdaturd.shutterfly.com/

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »
Know little about v7 but Phil at Cleveland Moto came to the ohio rally with his hotrod V7 racer. he had those pipes on it and sounded sweet. He is also ordering some for his stock at dealer.

Where in Ohio are you?

Leroy in Cleveland

Yes they sounded very good on that V7 racer, and they did not have the DB killers in.
Cam's also sound great, just not as loud/throaty.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
The Ago pipes did sound authoritative, not sure I'd want that much sound on a trip.  Sound is always a matter of taste.  To the OP's question, the only way to know if re-mapping is required is to install and then use an air/fuel meter to see how lean/rich the bike really is.  My stock V7 was very lean at low rpms, then went rich at slightly higher rpms, then lean again, and finally really rich.  In other words, the stock a/f is less than ideal.  I'd guess that the O2 sensors will try to keep the bike lean up to about 3500 and then the bike probably goes open loop.  Thus, the ECU will try to keep the bike from getting too lean at low rpm but after 3500 or so the Ago pipes might just lean things out too much.  Once again, the only way to know for sure is to put the bike on a dyno and measure the O2.

Cleveland Moto deals with Rexxer who might already have a map for the V7 with Ago pipes.  I know that they have a map for the stock V7.  Cleveland can send the ECU to Rexxer for a re-flash...easy peasy.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
Not as easy peasy to send out the ECU on the single TB engines, the entire TB has to go with it.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Das

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
I have a 2013 v7 stone with Agostini pipes fitted.  When they were installed a couple of 'oxygen optimisers' were added which changed the fuelling.  I have run them with and without the dB killers and currently have the dB killers out.  Kind of raucous but I like it.  I tend to live life in a higher rev range and the bike feels like it has more jump to it.  Popping on deceleration is noticeable.  The cold blooded issue has all but disappeared - I can ride off virtually from the get go. I do believe the oxygen optimisers are required particularly when running with the dB killers out.

Das

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »
Not as easy peasy to send out the ECU on the single TB engines, the entire TB has to go with it.

Yes, your point is well taken, it's all one unit.  In this case the dealer will do all the disconnect/connect pack&ship stuff.  No dyno to mess with.  From the customer's point of view it's pretty simple compared to finding a shop with a dyno and the expertise to re-flash that particular ECU.  GuzziDiag won't work and only recently has Rexxer done a map for that ECU.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:26:17 PM »
Yes, your point is well taken, it's all one unit.  In this case the dealer will do all the disconnect/connect pack&ship stuff.  No dyno to mess with.  From the customer's point of view it's pretty simple compared to finding a shop with a dyno and the expertise to re-flash that particular ECU.  GuzziDiag won't work and only recently has Rexxer done a map for that ECU.

Peter Y.

True.

1. You have to find a dealer you "trust" to remove and re-install the TB (I ain't doin' it) @ $90/hr.

2. The closest dealer with Rexxer for me in NJ (that I know of) is southeast VA, a 10 hour ride. The re-flash is $300 bones.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
Can someone explain the difference, sound, performance, between the Augustine and the Mistral.
I've had a test ride on a bike with mistrals installed and liked the sound of it's  voice....

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Rick T.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »
Can someone explain the difference, sound, performance, between the Augustine and the Mistral.
I've had a test ride on a bike with mistrals installed and liked the sound of it's  voice....

Paul

A friend's V7 Stone with Agostinis has a deeper tone than my V7 with Mistrals. Both effectively set off car alarms in parking garages...

Offline pocphil

• Owner - ClevelandMoto
  • Hatchling
    • ClevelandMoto
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
Obvious apologies for cell-phone based audio....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJOApzqHss

That's the Agostinis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nez4fu4dViE

That's the mistral with db killer installed and then later removed.

I rode the Agostinis 3+ hours at btw 55 and 75 mph with a full face, but no earplugs. I can tell you, beyond any doubt, I LOVE this music...the soundtrack is perfect. You'll have to check with the guys behind me to see if they were annoyed, but I was in heaven. It sounds EXACTLY like what you want it to sound like. I also listened carefully when other people were riding it, and bringing it back from test rides at the Rally, and It was authoritative, but never annoying.

Mapping / Programming / cheating etc.  We've got a customer with a bone stock V7 that had the Agostini pipes installed at 600 miles (a month ago). Db killers removed, disco'd battery, installed most current map from PUSA. everything else is stock, he's running 89 octane pump gas. Now there are over 3000 miles on the bike and we just did a full service. Plugs looked good, valves needed a minor adjustment, bike started and ran perfectly and customer is happy.  The pipe and ECU appear to be playing well together.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto

makarushka

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
Mapping / Programming / cheating etc.  We've got a customer with a bone stock V7 that had the Agostini pipes installed at 600 miles (a month ago). Db killers removed, disco'd battery, installed most current map from PUSA.

Would you happen to know how recent this map is? Just wondering if it's any different from a stock map my 2013 V7R came with... Can you share the version number?

Offline Das

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Have to agree with Pocphil.  The sound of the Agostinis without dB killers is addictive and glorious.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea but for me the sound track is a large part of the sensory smorgasbord that riding a motorbike involves.  Maybe it goes back to hearing on old recordings when I was a kid, the sound of Merlin V12 engined Spitfires used by Britain in WW II.  I just wanted to be one of the guys flying those things.  Whatever, there is no going back for me.  Next up in the 'modification' queue is fitting Ikon shocks and putting progressive springs into the forks.  Yeehaa!

Das

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the feed back on the Agostinis vs Mistral guys. That was very helpful.  ;-T

Das, I totally agree with that the sound track is a large part of the "sensory smorgasbord" of riding a motorbike, for sure!
I've got a BMW R12R cam head with an Akrapovic can and I've eliminated the exhaust flapper valve. It has a beautiful deep baritone voice and just enough vibration to make my heart beat fast! Just like my old 1200 Sport use to do.....

Paul

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
On map....

Are different maps used in different countries?
If so, are those maps available to dealer in the US?

Paul

DungeonMaster

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
I don't have a V7; I have a Griso 1100.
Which I added an Ago can too. DB killer still in.
No, I didn't remap it and it does run a bit better than the stock can. (Especially up top!)
I took my bike to Pro Italia for service and they DID do factory map updates.

While my bike does fine with out modifying the ECU mapping I still think that it does NEED a re-map
In the End I am having a LOT of trouble restraining myself from removing the DB killer.
My 1100 should sound mightier than my wife's V65 small block that has Dunstall's on it.
Now THAT is a mighty sound!!!!!!

DM

Offline aebbern

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 07:28:58 AM »
My wife has the Agos on her '13 V7 Stone.   She kept the dB killers in and loves the somewhat muted exhaust rumble.  No problems with the stock ECU mapping - fueling seems spot-on.

The only issue we have with these silencers is the exposed pipe section that used to be covered by the stock heat shield.  Whenever she puts her feet down, the pants touch the front section of the Ago's pipe and have now discoloured it from melting against the hot metal:

Has anyone found an aftermarket shield that fits this section reasonably well?

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 07:35:45 AM »
Yet another good reason for leather. Does she look good in leather?

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
I had GuzziTech re-map my ECU for Agostini pipes and the bike runs really well. 2015 Stone.  No pops whatsoever on decal and a glorious tone with baffles in.  Sounds proper.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:35:19 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Obvious apologies for cell-phone based audio....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJOApzqHss

That's the Agostinis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nez4fu4dViE

That's the mistral with db killer installed and then later removed.

I rode the Agostinis 3+ hours at btw 55 and 75 mph with a full face, but no earplugs. I can tell you, beyond any doubt, I LOVE this music...the soundtrack is perfect. You'll have to check with the guys behind me to see if they were annoyed, but I was in heaven. It sounds EXACTLY like what you want it to sound like. I also listened carefully when other people were riding it, and bringing it back from test rides at the Rally, and It was authoritative, but never annoying.

Mapping / Programming / cheating etc.  We've got a customer with a bone stock V7 that had the Agostini pipes installed at 600 miles (a month ago). Db killers removed, disco'd battery, installed most current map from PUSA. everything else is stock, he's running 89 octane pump gas. Now there are over 3000 miles on the bike and we just did a full service. Plugs looked good, valves needed a minor adjustment, bike started and ran perfectly and customer is happy.  The pipe and ECU appear to be playing well together.

I love the sound of the Agostinis sans DB killers! That's what I feel I a motorcycle should sound like, at least a café racer.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Vasco DG

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
I love the sound of the Agostinis sans DB killers! That's what I feel I a motorcycle should sound like, at least a caf� racer.

What? Harsh and clattery with no midrange? Bleargh.

Pete

11201ny

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »

I'm having titanium Agostini's installed (with some other stuff) on Tuesday.
Very exciting time to be alive. :beer:

11201ny

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
I'm having titanium Agostini's installed (with some other stuff) on Tuesday.
Very exciting time to be alive. :beer:

They sound great!

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 10:06:07 PM »
^ The way God intended!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here