Author Topic: What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?  (Read 45727 times)

Mad Mac

What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
It's been awhile since I sold my '01 California EV, but I think often of my Italophile friends.  Such as when I was looking at buying another Spyderco knife and noticed that they collaborate with Lion Steel in Maniago, Italy, and European knife designers to make knives that are legal in European countries with stricter knife laws than the United States.  Here is a listing of the Spyderco knives made in Italy.  The photographs show the "presentation side".  The obverse side of the blade is etched "Maniago Italy".

If I was forced to purchase a non-locking knife, the titanium Spyderco PITS appeals to me.

Another consideration for motorcyclists is a knife that can be easily opened with one hand while wearing riding gloves.  The Spyderco trademark round hole on their medium and large folders achieves that end.  Smaller folders can sometimes be opened one-handed by adding a lanyard.

American riders who want to take advantage of more liberal knife laws that allow lockback knives and flipper knives with an Italian flavor need look no further than the Spyderco Rubicon, named for the Italian river made iconic by Caesar.

I've been a Spyderco enthusiast since 1990 but have no further affiliation with the company than that.  Looking forward to seeing recommendations for other knives.  Take it easy and enjoy the ride.  Ciao! 

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: What Knife Should a Guzzi Rider Carry?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
I don't like the swoopy belly on either of those, PITA to sharpen...  I like my EDC to be tough, easy to sharpen, and not so expensive that I'll cry if it's lost..

I have about 2 dozen kitchen knives; Japanese, French, antiques, specialty stuff, butcher tools...  But my pocket knives are pretty unremarkable

Currently I'm carrying this

"Needs Work" isn't a commentary on the knife, that is the name of the model!  :thumb:  Its an assisted open with a liner lock.
I like the nice straight edge, easy to sharpen, tho like all Kershaw stuff.. I struggle to get it *truly* sharp (pops hairs no prob but not 'beyond razor' like my old carbon steel knives) but the edge retention is decent. I occasionaly steel it on a F.Dick diamond steel and put it on the waterstones every couple months.
YMMV but this one works great for me, I do a lot of ripping down boxes and such with it. I like that it's like a razor knife, but with better release & retention, plus a burley blade that wont snap off. 
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
If it's for self- defense I would stick with all steel construction. They may be heavier to carry but in a violent confrontation I believe those plastic handles will give way. I would also look for a tanto or spear point as it's the deep penetration that gets your attacker back pedaling and off you.Otherwise if it's for general cutting chores anything will do. For pocket knives I prefer Buck products as they're honest, well made , working man knives that have stood the test of time.

canuguzzi

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »
Why should a MG rider carry a knife? If you want to fine but should?

When it come to self defense, someone not very well trained in defense using a knife is just as likely to get that knife taken away and used on them. You're not going to use a knife for defense while you are actually riding so then a person is in the same boat as anyone else, that they are ride a MG makes no difference, has nothing to do with it.

Knives have many uses so it really depends on what the use will be but riding a motorcycle isn't one of them that makes it something you should do. I do carry one of those razor knives, the kind sold in hardware stores to open boxes but for self defense? Better hope nothing bigger than a rabbit is coming after you.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »
Never bring a knife to a gun fight......People watch too many movies of knife fights. A knife is a stealth weapon, something to be concealed and then use quickly in close quarters to disable an opponent with a slash or stab to a vulnerable area.. Sticking someone is up close and personal and not at all pleasant.
 I always carry a folding 3-1/2 inch traditional knife ...You never know when a circus tent will collapse and you'll need to cut your way to freedom..

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:13:32 AM »
Swiss Army multi-tool knife thing goes with me everywhere, and has saved my ass lots. 

I carry one of any number of pocket knifes.  A small Spyderco is good for defense if you're down and need to hit an Achilles tendon or something.  I imagine one could reach a femoral if the victim would cooperate.  Figure you get one surprise hit with a knife in defense, so it better do something.  As far as "fighting" type knives, the small tanto type always looked good.  Strong point, and a second slashing corner where a swipe across anything soft will open that soft bit up.  My trained-in reflex is to hold in fist, blade edge forward pointing in, for defense against fists by slashing.  Also provides power for close in point work, and is highly secure.

I figure being laid back and relaxed is the best defense, to never act in anger, tempered response.  Unfortunately, that tempered response had me defending myself with a handgun twice.  Shook me up enough that I stopped allowing any chance of getting cornered and stopped carrying a firearm.  But if you're insistent, a 5 shot revolver leaves no casing and round nose jacketed will go through a car door skin or windshield pretty well, while the hollow points will blow up.  Perfect gut gun.  If the bad guy is far enough away for you to pull and aim, then running like mad is a better option in my mind.

That multi-tool is amazing, even if not good for defense!!!! 

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 11:16:54 AM »
Leatherman  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
Leatherman, Swiss Army knife, Utility knife.

Anything with a multi tool and bottle opener.   :boozing:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

dibble

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
Frankly if you are so obsessed with being attacked that the only use you can think of for a knife is self defence perhaps you should continue your Italian theme by having your own Praetorian Guard with you at all times rather than carrying a pocket knife to hack a chunk of salami up.

Personally I carry a Spyderco Squeak

Ugly but extremely ergonomic.

I have tried the slightly more elegant

Also Italian but the edge rolls easily.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:23:29 AM by dibble »

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »
Kershaw and all of the others use really cheap Chinese made stainless steel that doesn't hold an edge for very long. I would never get a non-locking folding knife unless forced to by regulations.  Stick with Spyderco if that is what you know.  I used to not like the looks of Sypderco's leaf shape blade because my tastes leaned towards more traditional looking blades. However, after using a variety knifes from different manufactures, I now know how useful their blade shape and the thumb hole can be.  Spyderco's use VG10 steel for most of their knives which is a pretty decent steel and holds the edge well.

I carry a Spyderco Dragonfly II with ZDP-189 steel.  I also carry an old Delica 4 with VG-10 or a Benchmade Mini-Griptian when a want a slightly larger knife.  All three will seem to disappear when you clip them to the inside of your pocket. None of my everyday carry knives have anything to do with personal protection. These are just tools. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:53:29 PM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

kirby1923

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »
I personally like a machete!

:-)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
A metric knife.

Seriously, I carry a Leatherman tool.

In my college days I was a nationally-ranked fencer and Illinois three-weapon champion. I have no illusions regarding the utility of a pocket knife for self defense -- the notion is as absurd as jousting on a Guzzi. In an emergency, a knife will help you cut someone out of an entanglement, which is why it's essential equipment for boating and diving.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 12:20:02 PM »
 Good grief , where are some of you guys hanging out  :laugh: A small Victronix for me , fits in the pocket , well made , simple . A knife is a tool , not a show piece .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
Good grief , where are some of you guys hanging out  :laugh: A small Victronix for me , fits in the pocket , well made , simple . A knife is a tool , not a show piece .

Dusty

Yep.   Why in the heck would anyone carry a "different" knife because he's on his Moto Guzzi?   You won't use a knife for anything different on your Guzzi than you would for any other daily activity.

I have a selection of knives and usually pick one for the day depending on what I'm planning to do - gardening, working in the woods, visiting, going on a long ride .... When I'm on a long ride I have my Leatherman which includes my knife; that'll be tonight and tomorrow on my Norton when I go to visit my granddaughters.   Today I have a Spyderco Clipit in my pocket, yesterday it was a rough Opinel because I was cutting twine and bean vines in the garden ....

Me, I'd never carry a knife for self-defense.   All that would happen is someone would take it away from me and hurt me with it.    Why fight hand to hand when you can stand back a few feet on equal terms .... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
I leave an Opinel in the Windjammer pocket, that I found on the road some years back.  It had been driven over and the handle cracked, so not a perfect example, but the blade seems pretty decent.  Better than the cheap Buck that I recently lost via hole in pocket, and that was good enough for my purposes.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »
In an emergency, a knife will help you cut someone out of an entanglement, which is why it's essential equipment for boating and diving.

for years I crewed T33's on Lake Michigan ( a 10 meter sailboat), you had to carry a knife, to disentangle/removes lines should you become restrained at an inopportune time.

I picked up this now discontinued Leatherman back then.

The carabiner meant I could keep it clipped on my life jacket, and the thumb stud made for easy one hand opening. It also has a couple of bits for fasterners, qualifying it as a multi tool. The 'biner doubles as a bottle opener, also of high importance on a sailboat.

I'm keen on the spyderco, though. Nice looking tools.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Stephen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »
A paring knife, of course. For preparing fine Italian cuisine. :food:
Stephen
Carrollton Texas
Christian Motorcyclists Association
2021 V7 Anniversary
2003 Aluminum
1971 Ambassador

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 01:13:13 PM »
While a sturdier knife or a multi-tool would provide some additional utility, years of working in pre-press got me used to carrying a razor-knife - my favorite is the sometimes difficult to find stainless steel Olfa.

One of these days I have to figure out how to resize images in this forum software...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
I leave an Opinel in the Windjammer pocket, that I found on the road some years back.  It had been driven over and the handle cracked, so not a perfect example, but the blade seems pretty decent.  Better than the cheap Buck that I recently lost via hole in pocket, and that was good enough for my purposes.

I have several; they're cheap and functional.   And the carbon-steel blades, although they'll rust pretty badly if not taken care of, will take a really good edge and hold it ... One of those good, basic, ageless designs.

Lannis

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
Benchmade - best I have ever owned. But alas, made in the US of A, not Italy. :sad: :sad:
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »

2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
It's got nothing to do with watching knife fight movies it has to do with reality.I was attacked by a schizophrenic who fell on me from behind and outweighed me by 100 lbs in the middle of the day.He was trying to break my neck with his forearm while pinning me to the ground.I was able to free my arm and open my folding knife and jab him hard in the thigh.He immediately jumped up screaming and ran off and was caught and hog- tied by police latter in the day.There are many personal defense schools that specialize in defending yourself with a knife.As far as it getting taken away from you then why have a firearm ,it might get taken too.I wasn't interested in squaring off with him and fighting on equal ground that day.I just wanted to get home alive to see my kids.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:12:16 PM by slowmover »

Vasco DG

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »
When we travel we have a small, very cheap, stainless steel paring knife with a plastic scabbard that is used for cutting up bread, cheese, cold cuts and veggies for sandwiches. It lives in the luggage. I would never consider carrying a knife or any other 'Weapon' for self defence for the simple reason I don't spend every waking moment assuming I'm about to be attacked.

Oddly enough I've managed to get to the ripe old age of sixty without ever encountering a situation where I needed a weapon for protection or felt that even if I was in danger having a weapon would decrease rather than increase my risk of injury. There have though been plenty of times when I've wished I had remembered a paring knife for making sandwiches. I hate being hungry.....

Pete

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »
Ever since I read Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" I've carried a swedish Mora knife on a string around my neck when I'm camping, travelling by bike, going into the woods, etc. Straight blade, non -folding, cheap ($10). If you can still get them with wooden handles, they float. You can strike a spark with them (decent carbon content), skin a moose or a rabbit, stick it in a tree and use it for a step...all manner of things you can use it for and if you lose it, no big deal. It keeps a great edge, too.

http://sticksblog.com/gear/knives-multi-tools/mora-s-1-knife/

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
As far as it getting taken away from you then why have a firearm ,it might get taken too.

The whole point of a firearm is that you don't have to let him get close enough to take it away from you.

It's like defending yourself from a wolf by going after him with a knife.   Why?   You've got the technology - use it to keep yourself safe and negate the opponent's size, strength and/or drug-fueled craziness .....

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:31:29 PM by Lannis »

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
My EDC knife came as a surprise, I needed a knife for a specific task while I was out and about one day and found this Lansky on sale for $15 and bought it as a disposable.  It is rock solid construction, a great sharpenable edge, super easy to open one handed and a good size for any use from general work to defense.  You couldn't buy this from me for twice what I paid now.
Oh yeah, it came with a very decent pocket sharpener.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:37:14 PM by atavar »
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »

Oddly enough I've managed to get to the ripe old age of sixty without ever encountering a situation where I needed a weapon for protection or felt that even if I was in danger having a weapon would decrease rather than increase my risk of injury. There have though been plenty of times when I've wished I had remembered a paring knife for making sandwiches. I hate being hungry.....

Pete

That's me, too.   I've reached the ripe old age of 60 myself.   And I don't spend every waking moment worrying that my car will crash, my house will burn down, I'll have a heart attack, or die ....

BUT >>> (and I'll bet you do a few of these things too)

In my life, I've paid probably $50,000 in car insurance premiums, and I've never had a car wreck.

I've paid probably $40,000 in house insurance premiums, and never had a house fire or had a tree fall on my house.

I pay about $8,000 a year in life insurance premiums, and I've never died.

I (and my employers) have paid $400,000 in health insurance premiums, and I've probably used $20,000 worth of those services in my life.

In one sense, those were all really stupid "investments".   Oddly enough, though, I'll continue paying the premiums; go figure.

And since my insurance against my personal protection on the street cost me about $600 one time, and some time spent training, and costs $50 every 5 years (about 90 cents a month) to renew my CCW permit, I'll continue doing that too.   

Why would I not?   It's cheap, and good insurance against low-probability, HIGH consequence events .....

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:45:36 PM by Lannis »

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
 Hmm , never could figure out how to cut rope or spread mustard with a gun , what am I missing  :huh:

Dusty

HardAspie

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
I have been researching this very matter. I live in rural Aridzona and spend as much time as possible in the sticks. I walk and bicycle and am  getting the final bits of camping gear: bike and bike (I hope) together. A good knife is a wonderful thing to have for so many outdoor purposes, as well as opening blister packs an stuff in boxes. I want a decent knife and have been considering legal blade length, blade steel, blade shape - like can I sharpen that curve with a stone? and the like. I don't want to spend a hell of a lot of lira on such a thing,  but regard a good knife as a thing to last years. I kinda like this: USA made, clean design, 3" strong point, easily sharpened: The Kershaw Camber. Gonna try to post a link now. These are available for about 70 clams.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/camber

HardAspie

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
Hey Oldbike 54. Based upon results with an overripe aand hostile cantaloupe, I would think a Federal .357 125 gr JHP would spread mustard all over the place.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here