Author Topic: Adjusting to different bikes  (Read 5869 times)

Rough Edge racing

Adjusting to different bikes
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »
 90 percent of my riding since 1972 has been on Triumphs. There's been a few Tonti Guzzis, 750 bevel drive Ducati and Harley shovel heads along the way. I feel very confident on the old Brits, flick them over with just a thought, handle any road situation that comes up. I had the 1000 Guzzi cafe for a few years but never completely adjusted to the difference....
 So I bought this 97 Buell tube frame a few months ago.  83 HP , 435 pounds with more or less modern sport bike type handling. A whole different animal than an old Triumph that's for sure. And a lot different than the Guzzi or even my friend's 1050 Speed Triple. I am getting more confident and enjoying the bike more....Keep in mind I'm a bit cautious at 68 years old just like some of you...or not...
  How about you guys, do you have an long "introduction " to a different type machine?

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
Re: Adjusting to different bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
Adjustment period for me is about 500-miles or a month, whichever occurs first.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
Not really.. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Dave Bell

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
I do notice differences.  I ride a V7 stone daily now.  I have 4 BMW airheads and a Ural, a Honda PC800, and have had F800gs, KLR 650, WR250, and others.  On the Stone, I had to get used to the "snatchy" throttle at low speed, the crappy shocks, but otherwise no problems.  I don't really have problems adjusting, but have to remind myself, for example, of how poor the brakes are on the airheads after riding the Guzzi.  Not a big problem though.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:47 AM »
wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76534.0;

I had this same thought about 3 months ago:

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:50:05 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline bross

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »
With a few bikes in the garage, I'd say not really. Biggest switch was when I bought the Ural, cause it's not really riding a bike, but now it's my daily commuter so I find hopping off that and back onto the Griso or the DR is no big deal, I just get to feel acceleration again!  :thumb:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
Not really, every now and then I fire up the old Bul with the shifter on the right and hop a log just to throw myself a changeup :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:29:20 PM »
I ride a new bike very conservatively for the first few days. With the T as a baseline, I think first about the effectiveness of the brakes, then the low-speed handling (top-heavy? slow?), and of course the clutch/transmission action. For the past year I've been switching back and forth between the '70 Triumph (right-side shift) and the Guzzi (left-side), so I've become pretty ambipedalous and rarely hit the brake when I meant to shift.

When I don't like the way a bike handles, I get rid of it. The Triumph and the T are very different in weight but both are very neutral, stable and predictable. So handling isn't an issue. Braking and shifting certainly are.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76534.0;

I had this same thought about 3 months ago:

Lannis

Yes , and I see  Chuck from Indiana has changed his mind about differences  :laugh:

Lannis, you ride Brit bikes and know they handle more by thought  than  pushing on the bars to counter steer. The older Buell requires countersteering ,but less than the Triumph 1050 Speed triple and a lot less than the Tonti frame. The wide radial tires also affect handling. The old Triumphs let you know when the limits were near with subtle hints..
 At first during slower corners I found myself overturning and then correcting. At higher speeds all I have to do is push on the bar with moderate effort.  83 HP Sporty engine doesn't sound like much by today's standards but it has more acceleration that my other bikes. So it compresses time and what's in the distance comes up real fast...And the wheelie factor if careless with the throttle in first and second...
  I always was told a rider has a far higher risk of a wreck on an unfamiliar bike... I'll admit to being no more than an average rider so caution is advised..

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Yes , and I see  Chuck from Indiana has changed his mind about differences  :laugh:

Perhaps he just doesn't remember that far back ...  :evil:   :wink:   :laugh:

I'm still switching back and forth between the Norton and the Stelvio, and the first miles on either are NOT a pleasant experience ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
I always treat a new (to me) bike very gently and have never abused a demo from dealer!  I want to develop a feel for the bike before I trust it.  I even check tire pressures, chain tightness, and feel of controls before starting out.  Always test the brakes several times in parking lot before entering a road.

If I keep it, suspension is next thing I go over when I get home.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
I occasionally ride early British bikes with the shifter on the right side. After riding left side shifters all my life, I don't really feel I would comfortable in a panic stop situation.
Also, sometimes I switch from my Ducati to my RD400, which have w a y different power bands!
Kirk

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »

Lannis, you ride Brit bikes and know they handle more by thought  than  pushing on the bars to counter steer. The older Buell requires countersteering ,but less than the Triumph 1050 Speed triple and a lot less than the Tonti frame. The wide radial tires also affect handling. The old Triumphs let you know when the limits were near with subtle hints..
 At first during slower corners I found myself overturning and then correcting. At higher speeds all I have to do is push on the bar with moderate effort.  83 HP Sporty engine doesn't sound like much by today's standards but it has more acceleration that my other bikes. So it compresses time and what's in the distance comes up real fast...And the wheelie factor if careless with the throttle in first and second...
  I always was told a rider has a far higher risk of a wreck on an unfamiliar bike... I'll admit to being no more than an average rider so caution is advised..

Not really.. :smiley:
The brake feel is totally opposite on those two machines. Fortunately, that doesn't bother me..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »
When I get any different bike/scooter it usually takes me 2-3 weeks to really feel confident on it for all occasions.   Even switching from straight roads to multiple curvy roads takes me awhile to get back in the groove.  If you don't use it, you lose it.   :cheesy:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:20:55 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Lcarlson

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »
For many years I've had at least three bikes in the garage at one time (for example, XL1200 Custom, Buell M2 Cyclone, BMWs R1150R and K1200GT), so I'm pretty used to switching rides.  Still, I try to consciously make note of the location of the controls on today's ride before I take off. Now I'm down to just two, but the control locations are very different between the two.

lucydad

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Yes definitely.  See my comparo of V7R and new Triumph 675 STRX....

Offline bross

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:51 PM »
For many years I've had at least three bikes in the garage at one time (for example, XL1200 Custom, Buell M2 Cyclone, BMWs R1150R and K1200GT), so I'm pretty used to switching rides.  Still, I try to consciously make note of the location of the controls on today's ride before I take off. Now I'm down to just two, but the control locations are very different between the two.
The horn and turn signal are reversed on the Ural/Griso so yeah I honk for turns every once in awhile.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »
 When I go from riding my 06 Buell Uly for a while then get on the 74 Eldorado, it's about the brakes about the brakes. Uly has great 2 finger brakes, Eldo has 4ls four finger and a thumb and a lot of hand strength. But the Buell I'll ride in a spirited fashion and the Eldo is laid back.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »
The horn and turn signal are reversed on the Ural/Griso so yeah I honk for turns every once in awhile.

That's why I put identical Japanese switchgear on the T and TR6R.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »
  I never had a problem going from right shift Brit bikes to left shifters.  I might be the only guy here who admits to be a crappy rider? I try to make up for suspect skills by being extra observant...Other riders say my head is  constantly moving checking out the surroundings  for enemy vehicles or animals.... So when I get on a strange bike ,the attention needed to adjust takes away from my need to be vigilant ...

Penderic

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
Sometimes the first time ride is an overwhelming experience!

Till you get used to it.

Offline Wild Bill Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Going from a 2011 VStrom to a 1974 Eldorado for my main transportation was a lot to get use to.  Like the reverse shift and braking.  She stops like a loaded semi-truck  :laugh:.  Maybe the next improvement will be a Jake brake.   

lucydad

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
Between the V7R and Triumph STRX:
--Guzzi I am careful to let the throttle spin up before clutch out and always, always give her a minute to warm up
--Guzzi front brake takes a firm pressure
--Guzzi sends me into meditative state, smooth and strong and I push the engine for everything it has
--Guzzi throw it into a curve and hang on as she is bouncy sometimes
--Guzzi idle is an Italian Choir, high throttle is loud and guttural...

--Triumph I am careful as throttle is so sensitive...easy peasey, or pay the consequences fast in a wheelie
--Triumph brakes are light as a feather, strong as an ox, be careful
--Triumph cornering appears to have no limits, on rails, deep and incredibly fast--Moto GP world
--Triumph idle is a humm and whizz and brrr......and demands the clutch out to go from N to 1st
--Triumph has something truly awe-inspiring above 9000 RPM, one of these days I will get there before the road runs out and my nerve too
--Triumph amazing sounds, but air blasty.

Oh and the Guzzi is simply gorgeous.  The Triumph reminds me of a Klingon warbird by comparison. 

Yep, have to pay attention.  Fun though.  Big contrast.  Love both bikes.  No boredom here.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
Adjusting to the brakes  of any other bike when I come off the EV is always a big deal.  It's easiest on my DR though as the rear brake isn't for braking anyway; it's for sliding and, if I get enough air, controlling the flight plan :)

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here