Author Topic: Looking for input on v7 MG  (Read 6221 times)

Ladymoto

Looking for input on v7 MG
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:15:07 PM »
Just looking for reviews on the MG V7 5spd and new 6 spd. I am looking to purchase either and want to see if there is a big difference, if there are any riders who take the v7 on measurable trips and opinions of comfort, handling, and overall. Thanks

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Re: Looking for input on v7 MG
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »
I ride a 2013 V7 Special. (5 speed). Do I 'wish' for the 6th gear while cruising down the highway? Not really. Do I search for it regularly? 'Yes'.
But once I look at the tachometer I realize I'm already past the posted limit and another 500 RPM leads to bad political results.
These are off the top of my head: 4k in 5th = 105 km/hr. 4500 = 115-ish, 5k =125, and roughly 10km per 500 thereafter.
I've topped the bike out at 108mph on the 10 km straight leading to my property (GPS recorded over 3 kilometre markers on a 5k speedometer check) But who wants to travel that fast in moose country?

Measurable trips? That is a very subjective criteria to set. I'm pressing 60; have arthritis in my legs, hips and arms. Your mileage may vary.
In the V7's original (upright) settings I couldn't get past 500km in a day without significant discomfort. After I 'cramped' things up to my liking with rearsets and multi-adjustable bars I can run double that and still get off the bike. Guess I'm built like a fat jockey.
If you 'pack light', the bike is very capable as a lightweight touring machine. I use Hb 30L side bags and a 75L Cascade Designs Zip duffle. Total volume equivalent to a large backpack. I carry everything needed to camp or go out for dinner. This year's vacation was a test run to see if my body would still manage longer days. Next year I'm planning to ride south to visit my brother (3k each way).
It is a lovely bike on many levels.

One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

AGRO!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:10 AM »
I've got the V7II and as for the 5 or 6 speed gearbox the 6 speed box feels like a modern gear box compaired to the 5 speed and yes I've ridden both.
The VII has lower foot pegs as well the only thing I'm not a fan of is traction control even if it had 160hp I still prefer wrist traction control  :thumb:
More electronics = more stuff to go wrong but I suppose we are living in the future so we just have to put up with this stuff if we want the latest offerings.
The other thing is that's there is more leg room on the new V7 from knee to engine cylinders so if your tall this could be a factor to consider but I'm only 5 foot 6" so for me it doesn't matter.
If you like going fast through the bends you would be better off to upgrade the front and rear shocks as well as the bike gets a bit unstable on ruff roads and if you hit a big enough bump the little V7 will shake its head bad.
I've owned 23 bikes and for me the V7 is a great lot of fun and yes it will run all day on the hwy no worries plus its fantastic on fuel.
Which model to get? Well that's a hard one! As I said I've got the VII but I would still be happy with the V1 the only reason I went with the V2 was for the newer gear box but from memory I don't think there's much difference in revs between the 5 speed box compaired to the 6 speed box.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:01:59 AM by AGRO! »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:08:03 AM »
There doesn't seem to be a big difference between the II & the older ones, but the II does have some more refined touches - the gearbox fill plug points vertically upward; the clutch operating arm is more easily accessible for adjustment; the canted forward engine LOOKS a little better; and the 6 speed gearbox & the ABS. There may well be a few more. All things being equal, I'd recommend the V7 II.

I've put 120,000 km on the Classic so far & another 12,000 km on the Special. And have no qualms on setting out on long trips, and have done lots of them. Heading off again next month to Adelaide, via Broken Hill & the Flinders Ranges - only a couple of weeks this time. They can go around the country easily.

Comfort - everyone is different, but I've now set up both of mine to suit me - rear sets & clips ons or laverda multi-adjustable bars for the seating position, the solo seat I find marginally more comfortable than the standard dual seat, but the solo seat was a lot more comfortable for me with the standard bars & footpegs. On both, I have after market shocks, which are an improvent. as are after market mufflers. I find that 500 -700 km days are easy to do, day in & day out. From memory, I believe the longest I've done without stopping is around 300 km, but the backside was somewhat sore the last 50 km or so, but that vanished with a quick walk around.

I do recommend you get one of the models with the metal tank (2013 on, I think) - it's significantly larger and the flexibilty that provides when travelling is great.When I sort out the fuel pump, I'll be putting the metal tank on the Classic.

Handling - it's a Guzzi - it handles great. But because it's smaller & lighter than some of the bigger Guzzis, it tends to handle better around town as well.

Take one for a ride, and if it speaks to you, if it's fun and exciting, then get it. You won't be disappointed.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:08:03 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:11:43 AM »
Where's SIB, didn't he have a V7 and recently bought a V7II? Someone like that would be best qualified to answer about the differences.

I love my V7 and don't hesitate to take trips on it, UNLESS that trip is going to mean a lot of highway droning, then I'm just more comfortable on the Harley.

The V7 is light, comfortable, handles great and certainly is capable of big miles, even highway droning if needed. But it's light enough that it gets blown around more, and feels like it is busier/working harder at say 70-75 than my Sportster so since I've got a better tool for that job it takes second chair.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a V7II if I wanted one. The "electronics are more to break" argument means very little in this world because the reality is that statistically vehicles in general are more reliable and trouble-free then ever. Just beside things can break doesn't mean they will.

Good luck with your decision making.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:57:53 AM »
Where's SIB, didn't he have a V7 and recently bought a V7II? Someone like that would be best qualified to answer about the differences.
Here I am, I haven't posted yet because I generally agree with all the comments.  If there hadn't been a V7II Stone, I would have been happy with my '13 V7 Stone.  Yes, the ergos on the V7II are SLIGHTLY better for me, and the 6-sp box is SLIGHTLY smoother (but not any quieter).  Servicing the V7II is slightly easier than the V7, because of the new gearbox.  But, on the other hand, a jack to raise the rear wheel is essential for the V7II, as opposed to the V7 which has a dry alternator.  The VII's engine runs very well, but so does the engine on the V7 after I got the factory flash update.  I'm an old geezer with not many years of riding experience, so I jumped for the ABS.  It's probably already saved my skin at least once.  There's still a lot of winter sand and gravel on the streets around here, and ABS is useful for the occasional need to stop fast to avoid cars whose drivers either don't see me or don't care.  So far, I've put only 2800 or so miles on the V7II, but I haven't come across anything that's worse about it than the V7.  In sum, they're both great bikes.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »
If you like one you'll like the other.  Get the one that's the best deal and appeals the most to your soul and you'll be happy. 

My daily rider is a '13 Stone, and I've ridden both the previous version (Classic) and the V7II many times.  The two newest versions are worlds better than the earliest version, but the difference between the two newest ones is marginal at best.  Subjective stuff aside (which one looks better?  I prefer the V7), the 6th gear doesn't change much about the ride imo.  It's most noticeable in 2nd gear where jaunts around town are smoother, though this can be accomplished on the V7 with a remap.  The ABS is nice, but the traction control is CONTROLLING, and quite frankly has scared the crap out of me once already.  The V7II *feels* a little smaller, and seems a bit more refined, and for that reason I've never wished I had one over a V7.  I have a Guzzi b/c of it's character, and the V7II seems to have lost a little of that in my opinion.

All that said, I don't think anyone would be wrong in choosing one over the other. 
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »
I had the same choice between a better priced V7 & a new V7II.

I don't often go with the more expensive choice, but in this case:

- At least one of the V7 reviews talked about a fairly large jump from 2nd to 3rd, saying that a 6 speed would help the engine. I didn't think the extra gear would help on the top end, but in some of the medium speeds around town, it would give me "just the right gear" rather than high rpms in a lower one, or somewhat lugging in a higher one.

- All the ABS/Traction control has to do is save my bacon once.....and it's paid for itself. I had a BMW where ABS helped at least once on an unexpected slippery surface.

- I hoped that the V7II might include some refinements learned from the V7.

- I guessed that the resale of the V7II might be better.

So...paid the extra.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
Keep in mind when test riding these bikes that the shifting gets a whole lot smoother with time as the milage racks up. I've had a Classic and now a Stone and that was the case for both. I think the salesmen need to really inform their prospective customers of this as I almost didn't buy mine because of the rough shifting.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:16:17 PM »
Just bought a new 2013 stone.  Thought about the 2016  VII but the price... And the white tank... of the 2013 tilted the scale in its favor.  Couldn't be happier.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
Contact Beaver about riding it on trips. She rode hers to the National in Canada..3,000 plus miles and also to the National in Keene, NH 4,200 miles. All the other rides were under a few thousand and that isn't considered a "trip".

Tex

lucydad

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:29 PM »
LM,

Not a lot to add other than the small blocks are phenomenally easy bikes to ride.  Meditative I call them compared to many higher performance, heavier alternatives.  Test ride and see if the Italian Choir sings to you. 

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »
LM,

Not a lot to add other than the small blocks are phenomenally easy bikes to ride.  Meditative I call them compared to many higher performance, heavier alternatives.  Test ride and see if the Italian Choir sings to you.

Meditative is a great term.
As a fan of small smooth symphonies on road ready rides (continuing the alliteration) I marvel at the many miles provided pleasantly pondering the perfect pitch of my Moto Guzzi as I lope leisurely along the lanes.
(everyone asleep yet?)
If a Guzzi's voice doesn't sing to you... check out Ural. (There is a machine with an attitude matched to it's history)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:52 AM »
Meditative is a great term.
As a fan of small smooth symphonies on road ready rides (continuing the alliteration) I marvel at the many miles provided pleasantly pondering the perfect pitch of my Moto Guzzi as I lope leisurely along the lanes.
(everyone asleep yet?)
If a Guzzi's voice doesn't sing to you... check out Ural. (There is a machine with an attitude matched to it's history)

A little light levity always lubricates, sometimes lugubriously. (Sorry - couldn't resist).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 06:05:55 AM »
The only thing about owning a Guzzi

You get ignores by Harley riders

Comments like "Moto Guzzi, I didn't know they still made those"
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
Keep in mind when test riding these bikes that the shifting gets a whole lot smoother with time as the milage racks up. I've had a Classic and now a Stone and that was the case for both. I think the salesmen need to really inform their prospective customers of this as I almost didn't buy mine because of the rough shifting.

My first V7, a 2009 Classic, I bought at 1,700 miles, and sold at 10k miles smoothed out shifting significantly by 5k miles.   My current, 2013 V7R, I bought with nearly 4k miles already shifted pretty smoothly.    While, not as smooth shifting as a Honda,  I've never found the V7 to be anywhere near as "agricultural" as pre-CARC big block Guzzi transmissions.    I find nothing objectionable about the V7's shifting feel.  Of course, I also ride airheads, and like how they shift, once I learned the correct technique.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »
The only thing about owning a Guzzi

You get ignores by Harley riders ....

I don't know about that.     I got many complements on my V7C from Harley (and other Cruiser) riders.     The V7R gets some, but, not as much as the Classic did.

Many Harley riders show respect to my airheads too.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

ponti_33609

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 07:24:23 AM »
I don't know about that.     I got many complements on my V7C from Harley (and other Cruiser) riders.     The V7R gets some, but, not as much as the Classic did.

Many Harley riders show respect to my airheads too.

Agree.  In this part of the country the Harley guys seem very interested and ask many questions regarding the 2 Guzzi's I have owned.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »
My daily rider is a 2013 V7 Stone.  Coming up on 30,000 miles. 

Long trips?  Sure!  I just got back from an extended weekend trip of 2,000 miles from Texas to Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas.   Typically cruising indicated 85-90 mph on interstates, or 65 mph on two lane back roads.  It was perfect on the great twisty roads of North Georgia mountains.   

Went all the way to Minnesota last year on it.  I'd take it anywhere. 

Great bike.  Like an old BMW airhead, only better!
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 11:59:41 PM »
A little light levity always lubricates, sometimes lugubriously. (Sorry - couldn't resist).
Was the first time in a very, very long time I had to look up the meaning of a word.
Thank you.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here