Author Topic: NGC - KLR 650 no spark  (Read 4972 times)

canuck750

NGC - KLR 650 no spark
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:01:08 PM »
My 2012 KLR 650 has under 2000Km, no spark, engine cranks over, lights and horn work. When I flip the kill switch to off the motor will no longer crank so its seems fine. I grounded the plug to the frame, nothing, not even a weak spark. No signs of any burnt wires, nothing smells electrical. All fuses good. Any idea how to check a CDI?

Only Guzzi content is the KLR is parked next to the 750m S3 :laugh:

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: NGC - KLR 650 no spark
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:41 PM »
 Sidestand switch??     :popcorn:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

canuck750

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
Sidestand switch??     :popcorn:

Paul B :boozing:

tried that, disconnected the side stand switch and ran a jumper wire across the two wires from the harness, no change. Bike ran great (it is basically new), my son went to take it for a ride and it won't fire, led to removing the tank and pulling the plug, grounded to frame and no spark.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »
A local riding friend with an '08 KLR says there are two places where the bike is particularly vulnerable to electrical problems.  First is the Side Stand wiring, which you have checked. 

Second is the Starter Lockout Switch on the Clutch Lever.  There is a connector in the base of the clutch lever that has the two wires to the Lockout Switch.  The wiring diagram says they are G/W (Green/White) and BL/R (Blue/Red).  It looks like there is an "Open Circuit" (the two wires not connected) with the clutch lever released and a "Closed Circuit" (the two wires connected) with the clutch lever pulled in.

In the wiring diagram, the BL/R wire goes back to the Starter Circuit Relay, the G/W wire goes to Interlock Diode Unit (the Sidestand Switch also connects to the Interlock Diode Unit).

Hope this helps.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:55:30 AM »
Regarding the clutch switch, it must be in parallel with the neutral switch. If you are already in neutral then you do NOT have to pull in the clutch lever. If you are in gear then the clutch switch provides an alternate path to the starter relay. Pulling in the clutch should determine if the neutral switch is working.
Knock wood, I have had few problems with my KLR but for the few I have had KLR650.net  website is the go to place for answers.

Pete

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:27:44 AM »
Thanks guys, I will persevere wit the dreaded electronics. I will call a couple dealerships today and see if they have any ideas.
I replaced the 15 tooth sprocket with a 17 tooth for my trip to Inuvik on August 10th, I don't think I buggered any of the three stator wires that tuck in behind the front sprocket cover, bike started fine until then.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
I had an older KLR 650. It would only start in Neutral. I figured out the clutch switch was dirty and cleaned it so I could start it in gear. Really helpful when you stall out in an intersection. I really liked that bike, but it had to go when the Norge came home.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here