Author Topic: Make your own Night Pack  (Read 2292 times)

Offline della moto

• New Egg
Make your own Night Pack
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew if you could make your own V7 into a "Night Pack" model by purchasing the LED units directly from the manufacturer. On one hand, I'm guessing that they wouldn't want to sell you the LED headlight, taillight, and signals, since it would have the potential to cannibalize their Night Pack sales. On the other hand, what would happen if you needed to replace those items on your bike due to damage or whatever? Would you not be able to buy replacements? Has anyone tried this?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:24:25 PM by della moto »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Make your own Night Pack
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
I'll be watching this thread
I wonder what the saving in Watts amounts to?
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
I'm certain you can order these as OEM replacement or upgrade...  Call Cadre Cycles or Hamlin or AF1 and I bet they can order them for you. I bet the prices on these pieces will make your eyes water tho
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline della moto

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
... I bet the prices on these pieces will make your eyes water tho

You're probably right about that.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »

Offline Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 06:33:21 AM »
The night pack has a little different back fender setup then the other V7's.  The US also doesn't get the LED turn signals, but they are available, and they have a totally different connector than the other V7 bikes apparently.  The rear light is a bit different too, but the same one they are using on the V7-SPort.   This is mine.

If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Offline aproud1

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 07:00:49 AM »
The Nightpack headlight looks to be a different size and would not fit into the existing mount. Plus $$$$$$. There is a drop in LED headlight that fit the V7, LED signals are easily sourced (I'm looking at Yoshimura's myself) and the GTM tail tidy kit can be ordered with an LED brake light.
In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Offline Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 07:02:32 AM »
The Nightpack headlight looks to be a different size and would not fit into the existing mount. Plus $$$$$$. There is a drop in LED headlight that fit the V7, LED signals are easily sourced (I'm looking at Yoshimura's myself) and the GTM tail tidy kit can be ordered with an LED brake light.

Exactly.  Totally different light and mount.  If you have a Dart screen it wont fit.  I don't believe GTM has a tidy tail for this fender yet.
If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 08:40:51 AM »
You can order the headlight unit and tail light in it I'm sure from AF1 Harper's or Cadre.

If you're just looking for led, there are tons of drop-in options. I have a complete drop in LED bulb with the same dimensions as the stock bulb, and a 1157 LED rear tail and brake lamp.

Another option is what I did on the convert. On eBay I bought a Jeep LED 7-inch headlight bulb went right into the housing. Was $44 for two units. They also have a LED Halo on the outer perimeter of the bulb that can be white or yellow.

Amazon and eBay are your friends.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline cowtownchemist

• New Egg
2014 V7 Stone
2000 V11 Sport

Offline Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 08:10:32 PM »
I changed my tail/brake light to red LED. Since the license plate is illuminated by the tail bulb it lights up red, too. I thought GREAT! It’s more surface area to light up red when I brake. The problem is - in Ohio the law specifically states the lamp illuminating the license must be white. So now I need to add a white LED strip to the bottom surface of the tail light lense. Dang picky laws.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 02:16:03 AM »
The problem is - in Ohio the law specifically states the lamp illuminating the license must be white. So now I need to add a white LED strip to the bottom surface of the tail light
I was recently given a broken LED replacement for a fluorescent tube, it turns out these are a strip of 84 white LEDs in series, I found that cutting this strip into sections of 4 LEDs they work great on 12 Volts, all you need to do is attach a wire at each end and you have a bright white light all ready to glue to any flat surface.

So if you have one of these lamps broken or failed don't throw it away. They fit nicely into a 1/2" OD tube or perfect for illuminating the plate.
As for the Nightpack headlight, it would look out of place on a classic Guzzi, I found an H4 fan cooled LED, it was a little long for the bucket so i just carved a hole in the rear, the aluminium ring is just to dress it up a bit with a pair of these spots to increase visibility https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-pods/led-light-pod-2-modular-led-off-road-work-light-10w-900-lumens/1699/

I couldn't find the LED stop/tail bulb with a white light for that purpose at the time so I used 2 pair of white LEDs out of an old flashlight with resistors in series mounted on a thin plate.

[/url]
The correct bulb with plate LEDs can be found here https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle/ 
This is the one I should have used  https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-25-led-motorcycle-bulb/170/767/
If you want to change the direction signal Incandescent lamps for LED type don't let anyone talk you into adding huge 10 Watt resistors in parallel, you don't need those, they were only required for the old style thermal flashers.
Some Guzzi's (CARC bikes) have a dash that will light certain LED lamps even with the key Off, thats easily fixed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:17:10 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 11:32:15 AM »
I changed my tail/brake light to red LED. Since the license plate is illuminated by the tail bulb it lights up red, too. I thought GREAT! It’s more surface area to light up red when I brake. The problem is - in Ohio the law specifically states the lamp illuminating the license must be white. So now I need to add a white LED strip to the bottom surface of the tail light lense. Dang picky laws.

https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-low-profile-universal-fit-license-plate-light.html
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »
Another option is what I did on the convert. On eBay I bought a Jeep LED 7-inch headlight bulb went right into the housing. Was $44 for two units. They also have a LED Halo on the outer perimeter of the bulb that can be white or yellow.

Amazon and eBay are your friends.

Steve how did those headlights work out. In the Jeep community a lot of people report problems with the cheap/amazon LED lights.

Many are blinding to oncoming traffic because there's no clean cut-off and you can really aim/focus them down/away.

Others simply report early failures or other problems.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 04:21:34 PM »
This appears to be an interesting LED lamp. 

https://www.holley.com/products/exterior/lighting/headlight/round_headlights/parts/LFRB135

It doesn't have the "war of the worlds / star trek" look to it and made by a reputable manufacturer.

I just received a Motodemic metal LED light bucket for my 2014 V7 as the stock one is falling apart so I'm looking for a 7" light to fit it. This Holley one seems to be the best one I've found so far.

Offline jhem68

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 04:59:00 PM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 07:56:28 PM »
Steve how did those headlights work out. In the Jeep community a lot of people report problems with the cheap/amazon LED lights.

Many are blinding to oncoming traffic because there's no clean cut-off and you can really aim/focus them down/away.

Others simply report early failures or other problems.

Kev,

So far so good. I don't ride the Convert at night all that often, but when I have the unit has been fine. Definitely better than a Halogen in the original. I don't get people flashing me so I guess I'm not blinding anyone......
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline cowtownchemist

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 05:56:35 AM »
Pacman, that holley light does look like a quality piece for less that what I see on the other big store websites.  I think I'm going to try this first

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07T28C69B/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1NMB1N6XMXP55&psc=1

I'm not confident in the longevity but it is inexpensive and I'd like to try the turn signal integration. If it doesn't work out I'll likely try the holley one next

I also plan to install these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08GS4QTZN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=A1NMB1N6XMXP55&psc=1

I'm ordering today so I'll update on how they all work in a few days
2014 V7 Stone
2000 V11 Sport

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 06:08:29 PM »
Pacman, that holley light does look like a quality piece for less that what I see on the other big store websites.  I think I'm going to try this first

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07T28C69B/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1NMB1N6XMXP55&psc=1

I'm not confident in the longevity but it is inexpensive and I'd like to try the turn signal integration. If it doesn't work out I'll likely try the holley one next

I also plan to install these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08GS4QTZN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=A1NMB1N6XMXP55&psc=1

I'm ordering today so I'll update on how they all work in a few days

I just received that Zmoon light today and was going to try and fit it into the Motodemic metal bucket tonight while watching the hockey game and then perhaps attempt to install the whole set up tomorrow on the bike.  As much as I want the Holley light, the Zmoon one will end up being 1/10th the price by the time I get it shipped to Canada, pay duties/customs/shipping etc vs this one.

Offline cowtownchemist

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 07:24:25 AM »
Excellent coincidence for me on that Zmoon light.  Let me know how your install goes, maybe you will find some tips that will save me a few minutes of frustration.  I am however, going to install into the stock bucket.  Mine should arrive in the next day or so...
2014 V7 Stone
2000 V11 Sport

Offline cowtownchemist

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 07:45:52 AM »
Well the Zmoon arrived yesterday and it was a fit failure in the stock housing.  The diameter of the replacement light was just a tiny bit smaller than the stock and therefore needs a gasket of some sort to keep it centered in the outer ring of the headlight bucket.  Additionally there are no screw holes on the replacement and therefore no way to secure it to either the outer ring or to the housing itself.  The wiring was straight forward, but it just didn't fit.  I will be sending it back.

I think I am going to skip the night pack look at this time and simply get a brighter replacement bulb like the one below and keep the stock reflector and outer lens which fit properly and have the ability to adjust the direction of the beam.

https://www.amazon.com/Piaa-15214-Xtreme-White-Plus/dp/B00067BVR8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1YCBX7ABNDTOQ&keywords=piaa+extreme+plus+h4&qid=1653394430&sprefix=piaa+extreme+plus+h4%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-4
2014 V7 Stone
2000 V11 Sport

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
Well the Zmoon arrived yesterday and it was a fit failure in the stock housing.  The diameter of the replacement light was just a tiny bit smaller than the stock and therefore needs a gasket of some sort to keep it centered in the outer ring of the headlight bucket.  Additionally there are no screw holes on the replacement and therefore no way to secure it to either the outer ring or to the housing itself.  The wiring was straight forward, but it just didn't fit.  I will be sending it back.

I think I am going to skip the night pack look at this time and simply get a brighter replacement bulb like the one below and keep the stock reflector and outer lens which fit properly and have the ability to adjust the direction of the beam.

https://www.amazon.com/Piaa-15214-Xtreme-White-Plus/dp/B00067BVR8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1YCBX7ABNDTOQ&keywords=piaa+extreme+plus+h4&qid=1653394430&sprefix=piaa+extreme+plus+h4%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-4

I tried to get the light to fit on the weekend and had no luck, but then realized after I read the instructions that there are tension springs in the package to hold the light into the Motodeic housing. I'll give it another try tonight and see what happens.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here