Author Topic: Bike thefts in Austin TX  (Read 2958 times)

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
Bike thefts in Austin TX
« on: October 05, 2021, 10:31:52 PM »

Howdy y'all!
Sorry if this isn't the place to post this.
My bike was stolen Sunday 9/26/2021. It's a 2016 V7 Stone II. Texas license plate 963S3H VIN ZGULWUB0XGM200609. I've already filed a police report with APD #21-2690810. The only aftermarket item on my bike is the engine guard. The right side exhaust is scraped, but who am I kidding it's probably chopped up already :cry:

Honestly I'm not expecting it to be found. Mostly just want fellow riders to keep an eye out. This is the third V7 stolen in the area in the past month. That I'm aware of at least. I'm also salty because the used market is shit right now. Also grateful I had full coverage, but mostly sad because this was my first bike and I loved it so much  :cry:

Also I forgot to add the engine number in case it gets chopped engine number 019012.

As for a new bike... I'm torn between an Africa Twin, a KLR650, and a Moto Guzzi V85TT.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:25:32 AM by hejvuhhh »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
Re: Bike thefts in Austin TX
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 11:41:19 PM »
Xxxxxxx!.......... their stealing Guzzis now.

Times really are getting tough.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:39:35 AM by Ncdan »

elvisboy77

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 07:37:20 AM »
Sorry to hear of it, thanks for letting us know.  I will keep an eye out for any sort of parts sale etc.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »

Howdy y'all!
Sorry if this isn't the place to post this.
My bike was stolen Sunday 9/26/2021. It's a 2016 V7 Stone II. Texas license plate 963S3H VIN ZGULWUB0XGM200609. I've already filed a police report with APD #21-2690810. The only aftermarket item on my bike is the engine guard. The right side exhaust is scraped, but who am I kidding it's probably chopped up already :cry:

Honestly I'm not expecting it to be found. Mostly just want fellow riders to keep an eye out. This is the third V7 stolen in the area in the past month. That I'm aware of at least. I'm also salty because the used market is shit right now. Also grateful I had full coverage, but mostly sad because this was my first bike and I loved it so much  :cry:

As for a new bike... I'm torn between an Africa Twin, a KLR650, and a Moto Guzzi V85TT.
Definitely the right place to post your stolen motorcycle. So sorry for your loss, hopefully it will be recovered or you will be compensated by your insurance company. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:56:36 PM by Ncdan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 08:13:24 AM »
There are probably enough V7 models out now to create a black market for parts . Weird to consider isn't it  :shocked:

Dusty

Sorry for your loss....Hard to imagine there is a group doing this for Guzzi black market parts!! :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:   Wonder who is behind this?!? :sad: :angry:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »
I know right?! I feel like in 2016 I never saw them on the road. Now I'm finding out a couple of my neighbours also had them too. I naively never worried about parking on the street before because I never had an issue with it. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother getting a new bike until I have a garage :(

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
My condolences.  I'd like to know more about how it was stolen, so I can better protect my V7.  Was the key in the ignition?  Was the steering column locked?  Thanks.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:54:05 PM »
My condolences.  I'd like to know more about how it was stolen, so I can better protect my V7.  Was the key in the ignition?  Was the steering column locked?  Thanks.

The key was not in the ignition and the steering was locked. All it takes is a couple of people and a pickup unfortunately.  :/

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »
Bike theft here in Austin has gotten real bad, but I never thought they'd start coming for the Guzzi's!
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 03:30:24 PM »
Full coverage insurance. :thumb:  One way of getting a new bike.   :undecided:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 07:28:30 PM »
AF1 Racing is in Austin.  I'm thinking city street hoodlums buzzing around or someone who picked up a clean frame and is picking up parts. 

I always wonder where these bikes are being parked that get stolen.  I've never been so lucky.  I always have to sell or trade when I want a new bike.  Insurance value is always higher. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 08:34:02 PM »
Even bike thieves are hip in Austin. No one here on the Cape is cool enough to even notice nice bikes, let alone steal them.  All three of your replacement choices are great.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 08:48:19 PM »
From Tom:
Full coverage insurance. :thumb:  One way of getting a new bike.   
Kind of, sort of, depending upon what the insurance will actually pay out.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 09:14:35 PM »
Better than not having full coverage insurance and starting out from zero.  :undecided:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 06:51:00 AM »
From Tom:Kind of, sort of, depending upon what the insurance will actually pay out.
GliderJohn

They should pay out more than trade in or street value.  They should pay out full retail value. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 07:11:33 AM »
A motorcycle theft can be devastating to the owner, especially if it’s their primary transportation. Motorcycles are easier prey for the thief or thieves, because they can be stolen easier than a car or truck. Even with theft deterrent features, like alarms or locks, a couple of nefarious actors can pick up a bike, and load it into a van, in just a few moments.

So, what effective measures should we employ, to safeguard our prized motorcycles, which we have worked hard to attain?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
A motorcycle theft can be devastating to the owner, especially if it’s their primary transportation. Motorcycles are easier prey for the thief or thieves, because they can be stolen easier than a car or truck. Even with theft deterrent features, like alarms or locks, a couple of nefarious actors can pick up a bike, and load it into a van, in just a few moments.

So, what effective measures should we employ, to safeguard our prized motorcycles, which we have worked hard to attain?

Have a place with a garage to start with.  It will even lower your insurance rates.  When I was young and renting I always had multiple roommates to make it affordable. 

If you can't have a place with a garage, buy a bike that no one wants to steal.  My niece had an '04 yellow Ninja 250 that never got touched outside her apartment.  She decided to buy a Yamaha FZ-06 or something like that sport bike and it was stolen within 2 weeks.  She went back to a Ninja 250. 

Find out what bikes are and aren't getting stolen in your area and buy accordingly. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
That sucks, sorry for the loss. Austin is booming, so with the growth comes the unfortunate companions of crime, chop shops, etc.(i.e.rabble)

Been to Austin many times over the last 10 years, after my buddy retired there and my sister in law moved there. With AF1 just north, I wasn't surprised to see so many Guzzis on the street, so maybe that's why.

Spent my first 30+ years in the NYC area and environs, bought one of these in the 80's and still use it on occasion. I left it around the light pole or post for it's parking space when riding. I always routed through the rear wheel and swingarm to help discourage theft. Not sure if this style is still available, but it works, as witnessed by a couple obvious attempts to cut with hacksaw or other device.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:14:09 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »
*****moderator message*****
Please refrain from turning this unfortunate incident of a members stolen motorcycle into a political statement.
We all know the rules and adding politics to this conversation will not be tolerated, regardless of which side of the political fence it’s coming from!
Thanks to everyone for your compliance.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:18:33 PM by Ncdan »

Offline evank

• New Egg
  • 2021 V85TT
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 07:59:19 PM »
As for a replacement:  I have both a 2021 V85TT and a 2022 KLR 650.  They are both great in their own way.  For an outing that involves freeway riding and long distance, along with fast twisty sections, the V85TT is perfect.  For relaxed exploring of low speed backroads with gravel/dirt a possibility, the KLR is perfect.  Also a factor is that the Guzzi is 2X the price of the KLR.  Depending on your intended use, either would be a good choice.

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 01:07:21 AM »
That sucks, sorry for the loss. Austin is booming, so with the growth comes the rabble.

Spend my first 30+ years in the NYC area and environs, bought one of these in the 80's and still use it on occasion. I left it around the light pole or post for it's parking space when riding. I always routed through the rear wheel and swingarm to help discourage theft. Not sure if this style is still available, but it works, as witnessed by a couple obvious attempts to cut with hacksaw or other device.

[/quote

The rabble rousers been in Austin for a hot minute. You just gotta know where to look to find em.
For my next bike. I want something reliable like a Honda but gorgeous machinery like a Guzzi
I was thay dang ol Lego colour v85tt I reckon. Are they're any known issues with thnx  ali

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22:55 AM »
As for a replacement:  I have both a 2021 V85TT and a 2022 KLR 650.  They are both great in their own way.  For an outing that involves freeway riding and long distance, along with fast twisty sections, the V85TT is perfect.  For relaxed exploring of low speed backroads with gravel/dirt a possibility, the KLR is perfect.  Also a factor is that the Guzzi is 2X the price of the KLR.  Depending on your intended use, either would be a good choice.

Yeah I like that the new KLR is fuel injected because I'm a total rookie when it comes to carbs :P
I'm also checkout out the Yamaha Tenere 700. I'm reading that the ride is better overall, but it's impossible to find a used one so I might have to settle for a older model with carbs. I would love a V85TT but I'm apprehensive about not having a garage. Also because when I got caught in the rain on my old Guzzi water got into the rear driveshaft on two separate occasions and I don't want to deal with that again. I'm jealous of your stable you have some nice ponies!

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »
AF1 Racing is in Austin.  I'm thinking city street hoodlums buzzing around or someone who picked up a clean frame and is picking up parts. 

I always wonder where these bikes are being parked that get stolen.  I've never been so lucky.  I always have to sell or trade when I want a new bike.  Insurance value is always higher.

I was expecting insurance to give me peanuts because I've never had to claim a theft before but they're taking good care of me. I'm in good hands :P

Offline hejvuhhh

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 10:38:36 AM »
That sucks, sorry for the loss. Austin is booming, so with the growth comes the unfortunate companions of crime, chop shops, etc.(i.e.rabble)

Been to Austin many times over the last 10 years, after my buddy retired there and my sister in law moved there. With AF1 just north, I wasn't surprised to see so many Guzzis on the street, so maybe that's why.

Spent my first 30+ years in the NYC area and environs, bought one of these in the 80's and still use it on occasion. I left it around the light pole or post for it's parking space when riding. I always routed through the rear wheel and swingarm to help discourage theft. Not sure if this style is still available, but it works, as witnessed by a couple obvious attempts to cut with hacksaw or other device.

My buddy who had a bike in NYC did the same thing. He said when bikes get stolen in NYC they're almost never found and just shipped out from the port. If I lived on the first floor I'd consider just wheeling my next bike into my apartment lol.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
FWIW, when I was working in Corrections, I talked to a couple of inmates that were "professional" bike thieves, in the Phoenix area. They had a panel mini van set up for theiving. They had a winch mounted on the floor inside. It only had the 2 front seats, they would open the sliding side door, put a greased piece of plywood as a ramp on the side door sill, the driver would work the winch remotely, guy would get out wrap cable end of winch around front wheel, then drag the bike into the side of the van, the other guy guiding the handlebars, even if it was locked, etc, they would just drag it in and be gone in less than 2 minutes. They were all parted out. mostly for the bodywork, expensive exhaust systems, etc. They did this for years back in the 80's and 90's. They got busted because one of the bikes had a gps tracking device, and the cops raided their chop shop on the far west side of phx, out in the middle of nowhere.
The irony in the story, is that the bike that got them busted was a "Monkeybike"!    :grin:
  Rick.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:42:41 PM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 02:59:48 PM »
Rick,
Thanks for posting this. The gps tracking device would certainly help recover your machine. Now if most thieves thought that every motorcycle was equipped, they might go into an honest profession.

FWIW, when I was working in Corrections, I talked to a couple of inmates that were "professional" bike thieves, in the Phoenix area. They had a panel mini van set up for theiving. They had a winch mounted on the floor inside. It only had the 2 front seats, they would open the sliding side door, put a greased piece of plywood as a ramp on the side door sill, the driver would work the winch remotely, guy would get out wrap cable end of winch around front wheel, then drag the bike into the side of the van, the other guy guiding the handlebars, even if it was locked, etc, they would just drag it in and be gone in less than 2 minutes. They were all parted out. mostly for the bodywork, expensive exhaust systems, etc. They did this for years back in the 80's and 90's. They got busted because one of the bikes had a gps tracking device, and the cops raided their chop shop on the far west side of phx, out in the middle of nowhere.
The irony in the story, is that the bike that got them busted was a "Monkeybike"!    :grin:
  Rick.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Ed / AF1 Racing

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »
email us ASAP   info@af1racing.com   

two Guzzis were stolen, yours and another 2016 V7 almost in the same spot, same time.

The other was recovered a few days ago, found off Rundberg at one of those all night poker places. Hot wire device found on it.    Parts seems to have been swapped between the two stolen V7s.  The recovered one is here now for repair, and it originally had a black tank, but now has a grey tank.....most likely it's your tank.   We've been trying to find you, only saw your reddit post

This is most likely yours popped up for sale yesterday on CL....wrong year (prob looked at build date), wrong spelling, way too cheap.  Super shady!!!!   link removed

Since APD doesnt really care, we have a high level undercover DPS officer on the case.  He is setting up a buy on that one on CL.   DPS don't mess around.  He came by and got all the info we have yesterday.

Bike thefts -- we learned 10 bikes a day are being stolen in Austin, something like 20 cars/day too.  Our shop truck got stolen, and we stole it back 16 hours later.  It was found not too far away, and we had a perfect criminal case.....no charges filed by the DA.....f-ing BS........we HATE thieves. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:31:48 AM by Ed / AF1 Racing »

Offline Ed / AF1 Racing

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 03:23:52 PM »
they are not chopping them up....crackheads selling them to each other.

The person arrested on the recovered one was not the original thief.  Austin is being overrun by meth and crack heads especially in our area.   A crackhead stole our shop weedeater one time too.  Set it down for like 5 minutes.  We got that back....saw him walking down the IH35 highway with our orange Husqvuarna...like a scene from Goodfellas when we saw him, jumped the curb, and all 4 doors opened at the same time.

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
Quote from: Ed

Since APD doesnt really care,...

...It was found not too far away, and we had a perfect criminal case.....no charges filed by the DA.....f-ing BS........we HATE thieves.

Ed,

So as a tax paying Austin employer, just what did the Austin PD and the Austin District Attorneys office respond to you, when you asked about them filing charges in the case?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Ed / AF1 Racing

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »
After pestering them for weeks, they just said that no charges will be filed.  Not quite enough evidence.  They also said we never told the dirtbag to not steal out truck.  Like it was our fault.   After we found it, it took them 4 hours to show up.   three calls to 911 -- "we found our truck, get here" "We're stealing it back if you don't show up soon" "sir, its been reported stolen"  "I know, pull me over then, its my f-ing truck.  We'll sort that out later"

They were thinking more like unauthorized use, they just didn't care at all.

We have plenty of evidence on camera of him ramming our gate, the vehicle he showed up in was his, plus receipts with his name on it inside the truck.  It was filled with 10 trash bags of methhead clothes and other stolen BS....whole notebook of stolen ID info, bank infos, tons of stuff.   Not going to get political but read up on the Austin DA.  Real piece of work not prosecuting any property crimes.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here