Author Topic: 1978 moto guzzi lemans without motor vin stampings  (Read 3443 times)

tinsign

1978 moto guzzi lemans without motor vin stampings
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
I've been trying to buy a Guzzi Lemans and I think i've finally found a half way decent one - the frame plate stamping looks legit for a 1978 model year Lemans and the serial number is in the ball park for that model .  Unfortunately - the motor itself doesn't have any Vin stamping let alone the same number that is stamped on the frame plate - the bike looks legit. Has anyone experienced something similar in any 70's Guzzi's. Could this be a dealer warranty issue where maybe the original block went bad and was replaced at the dealership with the dealer not restamping the motor. Any ideas on this at all would be appreciated   

tinsign

Re: 1978 moto guzzi lemans without motor vin stampings
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »
Both - it's a bit expensive - my buddy had one back in the day - there seems to be more clones out there then real bike 

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »
We did one a bunch of years ago that had a crack in the case for untold reasons. We replaced the case with a new one from stock. Was not a warranty, but we did replace it. Built it and sold it. Probably 15+ years now. So it's possible that one can be rebuilt with no number on the case. If you can get the VIN, I'll see if it's the same one.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

canuck750

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
If the motor has genuine Lemans components, ie the heads with the 6mm intake port threads, the right pistons, etc.. then why not just 'stamp' the corresponding serial number into the block, Harbour Freight sells the various sizes of metal stamps that closely match the Guzzi numbers. I am not promoting fraud but if it is a genuine replacement of a damage case then I don't see big foul, still if you were to sell the machine I think it would be necessary to disclose the stamping.

Cheers

Jim

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
I know it was in the paperwork that we replaced the cases. And in our situation, dealing with all fifty states, not knowing all laws about restamping an engine number, it wasn't then, nor is it now, worth the potential risk of fraud. All parties to that sale were properly informed.

More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

tinsign

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
Thanks Guys - really appreciate the help- at least i know it's a possibility

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
The bottom end, crank, case rods and cam, of a LeMans 1 is the same as a late T or 850T3. The power is in the heads, the easiest was to tell if  heads are legit, is the size of the intake manifold bolts. The LeMans heads use 6mm bolts and the others use 8mm. This could be faked but, probably not. If they put that much effort into it, they would have stamped the case. You could pull the valve cover and check the part number. However, like anything else Guzzi, there are exceptions to the rules. On the same subject, there may be a 73 V7 Sport out there with no numbers on the case. I replace the crankcase on mine in college, I didn't have stamps, and it didn't occur to me to stamp it. I sold that bike to a guy in Tucson in 1980.
Joe Walano

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here