Author Topic: Extra lights  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
Extra lights
« on: February 16, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
More lights for next riding season ...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:43:21 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Extra lights (LED)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:47:49 PM »
So i goggled Hansa candle...

ooooh scented vanilla bean.... :grin:

Who makes those? Nice quality to put on a quality bike..
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »
That is a nice looking kit! :thumb:

John Henry

Agreed!  I had a set of PIAA LED's on my old '83 850 Le Mans-III.  They worked GREAT at night! 

Besides a "weak horn", nothing worse than "weak headlights" on a motorcycle!! - - especially when you need them most at speed at NIGHT!! :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »
LED?

Those sure appear to be an H3 incandescent.
No fins for the heat sink.
Even the wires are not colored for polarity.

I am going with NOT LED.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 02:41:20 PM »
Just bought them from internet (Romano motorsport). But they looked like ok quality .... made from aluminium with crome finish.

Lamp holders are very flexible (fully rotatable mounting shelf) ... making installation easy. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:45:03 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 02:44:12 PM »
LED?

Those sure appear to be an H3 incandescent.
No fins for the heat sink.
Even the wires are not colored for polarity.

I am going with NOT LED.

Sorry, yes 5 Watt Peanut Bulbs.

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Extra lights
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
But someone makes an LED replacement bulb.  I saw them but don't remember what store I was in or who made them.  Memory seems to get worse every year.

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 03:42:44 PM »
I'd encourage you to invest or even better yet build a simple wiring harness with a relay so that the light are connected to a keyed power source and also toggled on/off via the switch.

Bare relay blocks and spade connectors are $7 for five sets of them from Amazon. Here's a simple wiring diagram:

I was planning to connect those extra lamps to bike's ignition switch (not directly to battery) ... so if the main power is turned off ... the lamps can not be on either (can not use battery). I also want to install that separately on/off switch. Using it then the main power is on. Will that make sense?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:44:17 PM by Arctic Fox »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 03:51:58 PM »
I was planning to connect those extra lamps to bike's ignition switch (not directly to battery) ... so if the main power is turned off ... the lamps can not be on either (can not use battery). I also want to install that separately on/off switch. Using it then the main power is on. Will that make sense?

I'm a big fan of not powering stuff off the bike existing wiring but rather stand alone harness's that are connected to the battery and triggered with a relay. For bikes with mutiple accessories I like the FZ1 Fuzeblock it has a integral 30a relay, 6 fused circuits and can be configured keyed or continuous power by moving a fuse.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »

If those are really only 5 watt, as you state, then you can wire them to about anything.

But that is not a good idea. A separate fused line with a relay direct from the battery is always best. Then if you upgrade the bulbs, you will be all set.

Are you really sure they are only 5 watt? That is not much in an incandescent.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 04:35:50 PM »
5 watt in an incandescent would be equal to dash/idiot light not a driving light.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 05:10:40 PM »
Those are small fog lights. Maybe they will not help much of my riding, but if they help to car drivers to see/ notice me ... they have done their work/purpose.

I'm just bit worry that if I connect them directly to battery ... they can run down my battery (if I forgot to leave them on) ... or if someone just would switch them on ... as I have parked bike somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:13:30 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
I have auxiliary lights on all my bikes. On the first install, I went to a fair bit of trouble rigging an attractive yet durable bar mounted switch. I never use it. I have never had a reason or desire not to run the lights.

On the subsequent installs I didn't bother. More wiring to route (and potentially fail), valuable handlebar space better used for mounts and gadgetry.

As others have said, run a separate fused relay that is triggered by a source that powers up with the key. The little useless "parking lamp" in the headlight bucket is perfect for this.

Generic wiring harnesses sold for truck off-road lighting have everything you need, are inexpensive and are sold practically anywhere that sells automotive accessories. You'll have to trim back some of the wires since you're wiring a bike rather than a truck, so buy an assortment of terminals.

If for some reason you need to disable the lights, just pull the fuse.

"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 09:29:21 PM »
Those are small fog lights. Maybe they will not help much of my riding, but if they help to car drivers to see/ notice me ... they have done their work/purpose.

I'm just bit worry that if I connect them directly to battery ... they can run down my battery (if I forgot to leave them on) ... or if someone just would switch them on ... as I have parked bike somewhere.

That is why you use a relay, and always a fuse of course.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 06:20:54 AM »
If the OP would like I can make a wiring harness up. I do use duckbill switches that can be mounted anywhere you can drill a 1/2 hole or I can make an aluminum angle bracket that can be bolted to whatever’s is convent. I don’t care for handlebar mounted switches as the bars get congested with doodads.

PM me if interested
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:27:51 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 06:32:25 AM »
That is why you use a relay, and always a fuse of course.

Now I'll show up as real blond  :laugh: ... ok, I understand reason/role of fuse (have changed two of those in my Mini Cooper). One kind of safety issue/protection.

But what is that ''relay''?  It'll control electricity going into the lamps/lights, right? So is it that switch (on - off switch I'm planning to intall into handlebar) or something else/extra? If it is that switch ... there is always risk (possibility) that lights can be let ''on'' even as bike is parked. Or is it something else (separately part/compaund) installed between battery and that switch? If it is this, how it will ''know'' to turn electricity down/off (as bike is parked, engine stopped, key taken away from ignition switch)?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:40:41 AM by Arctic Fox »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 07:21:28 AM »
+1 on the Fuzeblock.  It tidies everything up and you can run your battery tender through it since you can set any circuit to always on if you want.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »
Now I'll show up as real blond  :laugh: ... ok, I understand reason/role of fuse (have changed two of those in my Mini Cooper). One kind of safety issue/protection.

But what is that ''relay''?  It'll control electricity going into the lamps/lights, right? So is it that switch (on - off switch I'm planning to intall into handlebar) or something else/extra? If it is that switch ... there is always risk (possibility) that lights can be let ''on'' even as bike is parked. Or is it something else (separately part/compaund) installed between battery and that switch? If it is this, how it will ''know'' to turn electricity down/off (as bike is parked, engine stopped, key taken away from ignition switch)?

The relay is a high amperage magnetic switch that is operated off of low amperage switch (Handlebar/toggle switch)

There are many videos on YT that explain relay and why they are beneficial.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=12v+4+pin+relay+explaination&&view=detail&mid=107843E48E955CCE5E1A107843E48E955CCE5E1A&&FORM=VRDGAR

Not sure where you are located but if you are close to south central Pennsylvania I can help you install and properly wire the lights.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:19:10 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 08:18:29 AM »
A relay would be tapped into a switched circuit. That side of the relay will turn on/off the power to the aux lights.

Okey ... I started to think there needs to be magical fuzzy logic involved on this  :grin:.

Anyway, I think I will let guys to do that (take a bike into service as riding season starts). They can do this as they'll change the tires. Will be done propetly.

I just thought it could be usefull to know a bit which wires goes where, where the fuses are etc.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:47:09 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 09:48:23 AM »
But what is that ''relay''?

In this situation, the relay is like a 'remote control' switch.

A small signal from the ignition switch, or headlight, or whatever, will switch on a large current going to the lights.

You can also do oddball logic, like after there is oil pressure, turn on the driving lights, so they stay off until the motor is running.
But mainly, they are used as a simple remote switch. So the tiny wiring going to the starter button, can trip a relay that sends over one hundred amps to the starter. Well, unless it is a Guzzi and suffers startus interuptus. But that is another issue.

You can get pre-made harnesses from places like Eastern Beaver.

Bert Remington

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 10:03:00 AM »
I agree with Wayne.  The bulbs are low-wattage 12V used in landscape lights.  I have a similar-design fork-mounted lights that use those bulbs.  You can replace them with brighter LEDs such as the MR11 or MR16 depicted at https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/landscape-bulbs/

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 04:39:20 PM »
I agree with Wayne.  The bulbs are low-wattage 12V used in landscape lights.  I have a similar-design fork-mounted lights that use those bulbs.  You can replace them with brighter LEDs such as the MR11 or MR16 depicted at https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/landscape-bulbs/

Okey; I opened another lamp ...

I think that looks like MR11 or MR16 type?

Honestly I think that original halogen lamp is 50W and not 5W (50W seems to be pretty common) ... and bases on text on the lamp too (3 photo).
Still recommend to change LED lamps? Which one?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:41:22 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline timmythecop

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 06:10:14 PM »
Love extra lights. Especially now that L.E.D.s are so cheap.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:10:56 PM by timmythecop »
1980 1000SP
1978 850 T3
2000 VFR800Fi
2015 Harley FLHTPi
2005 Harley XLH1200R
1995 BMW R1100GS
1992 BMW K75S
1981 Suzuki GS450T

Bert Remington

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »
Yep I agree with 50W.

The MR11 and MR16 differ on lens diameter.  Note the MR16 has two different pin styles -- yours is GU5.3 base.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »
Honestly I think that original halogen lamp is 50W and not 5W (50W seems to be pretty common) ... and bases on text on the lamp too (3 photo).
Still recommend to change LED lamps? Which one?

You could install those. You absolutely want a switch and relay (and fuse), AND a voltmeter. You did not say what bike you have, but most models, other that the CARC models, have marginal charging systems. They may only have enough 'juice' when rolling down the road over 3500 RPM. A voltmeter will let you know.

Many years ago I came up with a device to dim my 55 watt lights, if the charge voltage was low. Going down the road , the lights were at 100%. Stop for a red light, or slow traffic, and they would dim. I still have that device on my bike (an EV), but now have LED lighting. The lights seldom need to dim because I always get good charge voltage.

You can get pretty good LED lights for under $30 off of Amazon. A 10 watt LED, will make about the same light as a 55 watt incandescent.

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
You could install those. You absolutely want a switch and relay (and fuse), AND a voltmeter. You did not say what bike you have, but most models, other that the CARC models, have marginal charging systems. They may only have enough 'juice' when rolling down the road over 3500 RPM. A voltmeter will let you know.

Many years ago I came up with a device to dim my 55 watt lights, if the charge voltage was low. Going down the road , the lights were at 100%. Stop for a red light, or slow traffic, and they would dim. I still have that device on my bike (an EV), but now have LED lighting. The lights seldom need to dim because I always get good charge voltage.

You can get pretty good LED lights for under $30 off of Amazon. A 10 watt LED, will make about the same light as a 55 watt incandescent.

Yes, there seemed to be many suitable 8W - 10W LED lights. Even different kinds (MR16 GU5.3). I see the point. Yes, wise choice for price of cost.
After all these were good choice ... I can easily change the light (if/then needed)? In some LED lights ... as those are gone, they are gone.

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »

These are all 10W (LED) but looks bit different ... any idea which could work best?

Bert Remington

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 02:07:45 PM »
The two major selection factors are color temperature and beam spread.  For instance one of those bulbs has a color temperature of 3,000K (Kelvin) which is more of an Amber and is great for conspicuity but not so much for illumination.  Daylight color temperature is about 4,500K which is best for illumination because that's what the human eye is evolved for.  If you want a Spot beam illumination ahead of your headlight then you want a narrow beam angle, 60 degrees or less.  If you want more illumination to the sides then you want a Flood beam of 120 degrees or thereabouts.  The integrated reflector is the primary determinate for beam pattern.

Another selection factor is input power: more power means more lumens (illumination intensity).  10W is about the same amount of power as your turn signal bulb.  From a wiring perspective, you can easily go double that.  But from a heat perspective the bulb might have a shorter life in your sealed housing.  But you will be riding 10s of hours rather than illuminating a garden for 1000s of hours so I would get the most powerful bulb you can with the color temperature and beam pattern you need.

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 02:38:22 PM »
The two major selection factors are color temperature and beam spread.  For instance one of those bulbs has a color temperature of 3,000K (Kelvin) which is more of an Amber and is great for conspicuity but not so much for illumination.  Daylight color temperature is about 4,500K which is best for illumination because that's what the human eye is evolved for.  If you want a Spot beam illumination ahead of your headlight then you want a narrow beam angle, 60 degrees or less.  If you want more illumination to the sides then you want a Flood beam of 120 degrees or thereabouts.  The integrated reflector is the primary determinate for beam pattern.

Another selection factor is input power: more power means more lumens (illumination intensity).  10W is about the same amount of power as your turn signal bulb.  From a wiring perspective, you can easily go double that.  But from a heat perspective the bulb might have a shorter life in your sealed housing.  But you will be riding 10s of hours rather than illuminating a garden for 1000s of hours so I would get the most powerful bulb you can with the color temperature and beam pattern you need.

Thank you  :bow:

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 03:12:25 PM »
Arctic,
I've got the smaller m11 sized lamps on my Italjet, and can offer some comments.

First, it seems like you got a great deal. My Kuryakyn Small Silver Bullets cost over twice as much I recall.

I am running 35 watt bulbs and find the lamps are mainly useful as warning devices. I have a cunning relay set up so that I can flash people about to enter the road in front of me, using my original, stock headlamp flasher lever. I might as well have a death ray, it's that effective! (The lamps are angled slightly out to either side.) My lamps really don't provide enough illumination to help much directly ahead or even to help much looking for deer off to the sides.

Your lamps are definitely 50 watts each (contrary to their being listed as five watts) enough to demand their own separate circuit and fuse. My lamps are wired so that I have an option of having them on constantly or else standing by to flash with the high beams. This required the use of two relays. Some kind of voltage monitoring is a very good idea. I use a small LED voltage indicator from England that takes up hardly any room on my dash.

I'm also a great fan of the FZ1 Fuzeblock, which I have installed in my Griso. But it may be overkill if you don't plan to add many accessories to your bike.

Here's the link to the lamps you bought, for those following along:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=173004045826&category=178022&pm=1&ds=0&t=1612971547000&ver=0&cspheader=1

I had great fun thumbing through the Romano Motorsports pages -- reminded me of the old Warshovski catalog out of Chicago.

Let me know if you want a circuit plan like the one I described. Good luck!

Moto

EDIT: My 5mm, color-coded LED voltage indicator, Model K, is glowing yellow/red in this photo:

It can be obtained for £10.99 from gammatronixltd.com, with prompt, reasonable shipping:

https://gammatronixltd.com/epages/bae94c71-c5b6-4572-89a1-e89006e78fbe.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/bae94c71-c5b6-4572-89a1-e89006e78fbe/Products/K
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:43:58 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here