Author Topic: Favorite unheralded book  (Read 18380 times)

oldbike54

Re: Favorite unheralded book
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
 Thanks Jay , I'm on it .

Dusty

canuck750

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 10:32:10 PM »
Books that help make sense of the Middle East and the conflicts the west are embroiled in (my other obsession is the history of conflict from the Great War onward).

"The Wrong Enemy - America in Afghanistan - 2001 ~ 2014" by Carlotta Gall

"Dirty Wars" by Jeremy Scahill

one of the bet books on the Iraqi war - " The Assassins Gate" by George Packer

and and explanation on the origin of the current mess "Kingmakers: the invention of the Modern Middle East" by Rory Miller

Offline Don Ivey

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »
James Hall (for the person who liked Randy Wayne White)
Stoner - John Williams
Anything by Harry Bingham (interesting female protagonist)
Ken Follett's early works around WWI
Don Ivey
'83 1000SP
'88 KLR650
'87 Carrera

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
Tongue in cheek suggestions:

The Adventures of Tintin (all of them)
All of the Asterix Series

More serious suggestions, not exactly favorites, but interesting ones:
The Imperfect Spy - the story of Vladimiro Montesinos...who worked with President Fujimori in Peru, incredible schemes of corruption, bribery and drug trafficking
In the Footsteps of Marco Polo - an easy read of 2 adventurers who retraced MP's steps...there was also a video documentary you can probably find online

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:50:20 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
Books, actually: The Border Trilogy by Cormack McCarthy - enjoyed them more than his more heralded and cinematized works.

I second McCarthys books.  His 'unheralded' earlier novels are also fantastic: Suttree and Blood Meridian.  Also No Country for Old Men.  He has a very spare writing style that I greatly enjoy.

Another author that I find mesmerizing, with fantastically intriguing stories is David Mitchell;  Cloud Atlas, the Bone Clocks, and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.  The above encompass all of the best books I have ever read. 

Thanks for starting this thread, Duaty.  It has produced a wealth of great ideas for future reads. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2016, 07:29:49 AM »
Check out his first books like Outer Dark and The Orchard Keeper.He also wrote some plays like The Stone Mason.

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2016, 08:56:08 AM »
I second McCarthys books.  His 'unheralded' earlier novels are also fantastic: Suttree and Blood Meridian.  Also No Country for Old Men.  He has a very spare writing style that I greatly enjoy.

Another author that I find mesmerizing, with fantastically intriguing stories is David Mitchell;  Cloud Atlas, the Bone Clocks, and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.  The above encompass all of the best books I have ever read. 

Thanks for starting this thread, Duaty.  It has produced a wealth of great ideas for future reads.

Yeah , Cormack McCarthy wrote some great stuff .

Anyone here familiar with Jack Chalker ?

Dusty

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
Yeah , Cormack McCarthy wrote some great stuff .

Anyone here familiar with Jack Chalker ?

Dusty

I haven't read a lot of his stuff. But from my limited exposure, Chalker's books are typically a mixture of SF & fantasy, populated by interesting/quirky characters. A decent read if you're looking for entertainment and not a lot of hard science elements.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
If you like biographies, "Life" by Keith Richards is fantastic.  There is also a really great one about Nikolai Tesla, but the title escapes me.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »
"Dry Store Room Number 1" - Richard Fortey. Part memoir, part explanation, of life behind the secret doors of the Natural History Museum in London, by the worlds foremost "Trilobite Man".

"Abominable Science" by Daniel Loxton & Donald R Prothero - Origins of the Bigfoot, Yeti, Nessie and other famous cryptids. Really great book looking at whats behind these myths.

"Kokoda"  - Peter Fitzsimons. Story of the first major campaingn defeat of the Japanese Army in WW2, on the Kokoda Track.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
Appropriately enough, given the date, I'll throw out a recommendation for Buddy Holly Is Alive and Well on Ganymede by Bradley Denton.

It's an odd but compelling story, set primarily in southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma, so you'll recognize a lot of the places described. Considerable British motorcycle content, too.

ever read the "One Eyed Mack" series by Jim Lehrer?  Yes, that Jim Lehrer. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »
"The Amazing Adventures Of Gladys Stoatpamphlet and her intrepid spaniel Stig, amongst the giant pygmies of Beccles; Part 2". 

By Charles Dikkkens. Well known Dutch author.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

oldbike54

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
"The Amazing Adventures Of Gladys Stoatpamphlet and her intrepid spaniel Stig, amongst the giant pygmies of Beccles; Part 2". 

By Charles Dikkkens. Well known Dutch author.

A Python fan I see  :laugh:

Dusty

kirby1923

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
Longitude by Dava Sobel
How a farmer changed the world with a clock that could keep accurate time at sea
Some great insight on how the English became masters of long range navigation and ruled the seas because of it.
Quick read.
:-)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:10:52 PM by kirby1923 »

oldbike54

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »
 Finished the John Cleese autubio a couple of days back , pretty interesting read , not much Python content . It does give some insight into the difference between celebrity in England and celebrity in America . The stories about Peter Sellers , David Frost , and some other British iconic figures were funny and informative , and the impression left by Cleese is one of a basic decency , not only regarding himself , but many others in the entertainment business in England .

Dusty

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »
"Empire Of The Clouds - When British Aircraft Ruled The World" - by James Hamilton-Patterson. Brilliant book I can't praise highly enough, I must have read it 4 or 5 times now. How Britain was at the cutting edge of aviation technology in 1945, and then gave it all away through government meddling, company lassitude and complacency, and just plain stupidity.

"The Quick And The Dead" by Bill Waterton. What it was REALLY like to be a company test pilot in the 1950s. Decidedly not glamourous.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
For light reading, Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide series.

2 Years Before the Mast.  It'll give you a completely different insight into sailing and California's early history.  Also, author Dana's history is sad and interesting.

As mentioned before, not unheralded but what good books are?

Dusty, if you are interested in WWII Submarine stories, I have a nice little library I'd share.

'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

oldbike54

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »
For light reading, Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide series.

2 Years Before the Mast.  It'll give you a completely different insight into sailing and California's early history.  Also, author Dana's history is sad and interesting.

As mentioned before, not unheralded but what good books are?

Dusty, if you are interested in WWII Submarine stories, I have a nice little library I'd share.

We need to discuss that .

One of my favorite books was written by Richard Bach , Illusions , the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah .

Dusty
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:19:57 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2016, 12:38:38 AM »
James Hall (for the person who liked Randy Wayne White)
Stoner - John Williams
Anything by Harry Bingham (interesting female protagonist)
Ken Follett's early works around WWI

I ordered some of James Hall's early stuff on fleabay, thanks!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2016, 08:01:13 AM »
"The Road to Serfdom" by economist and philosopher Friedrich Von Hayek.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
We need to discuss that .

One of my favorite books was written by Richard Bach , Illusions , the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah .

Dusty

He's done many. Jonathan Livingston Seagull was the one that made him famous.. and wealthy. He suddenly found he could afford about any antique airplane that he wanted, so he started buying them. After a while, he   realized that not only was he having to pay someone to maintain them, he was having to pay someone to keep them exercised. (!) What's the point?
 Remembering his advice has kept my motorcycle collection in check. :) :)
His son, Rob, flies to the national and midwest antique airplane fly ins, and hops rides.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

HardAspie

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2016, 11:38:57 AM »
The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. A wonderful surreal romp through the high strangeness of conspiracies everywhere and human loonacy weakness and strength. Funny as anything I have ever read, and with underlying meaning.

Offline El Pescador

• New Egg
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »
The best book I've read in a really long time.  It puts the history of the southwest in an entirely new context.

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Summer-Moon-Comanches-Powerful/dp/1416591060
Fair winds and following seas

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
I just finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I'm not sure if it would qualify as unheralded. A terrific read though. Briefly it's about a curmudgeonly older man interacting with and recoiling from society as it changed around him, and, indeed, became involved with him despite his best efforts. It was surprisingly enticing, regardless of my crappy description. That and I didn't want to give too much away.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1476738025/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=96686193989&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9222740365729229205&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_75uptx860o_b
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:41:42 PM by Elevenminusoneblade »
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2016, 02:27:46 PM »
I just finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I'm not sure if it would qualify as unheralded. A terrific read though. Briefly it's about a curmudgeonly older man interacting with and recoiling from society as it changed around him, and, indeed, became involved with him despite his best efforts. It was surprisingly enticing, regardless of my crappy description. That and I didn't want to give too much away.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1476738025/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=96686193989&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9222740365729229205&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_75uptx860o_b

Hmmm.. Dorcia's book club is reading that as we type. Maybe I'll give it a go..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2016, 05:19:09 PM »
Has anyone tried any Gutenberg project books?
They are free to download, usually books that are now old enough to be free.

On a motoring front I did discover there some works by CN & AM Williamson on the joys of touring by motor vehicle in the 1900s. almost completely forgotten now but the husband and wife team (think she actually did most of the writing, he was an editor of I forget what newspaper or magazine, we're talking 190?) were a popular read.

Frulk

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
"Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart. Post apocalyptic novel inked in 1949 that takes place in the 1940s in California, USA. Holds up well even now. 373 pages. Notable for it's detail as a small band of survivors attempt to rebuild civilization as they knew it. Books scope spans several decades.

oldbike54

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »
 What a GREAT thread , who is the OP  :grin: Seriously , what an amazing list of books , seems we are a well read group  :bow:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »
Try not to break your arm, patting yourself on the back, Dusty.. (stupid emoticons still aren't working with Chrome) but picture a grin with beer.
Yeah, it's been good for me, too.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2016, 06:45:51 PM »
The Long Walk or The Way BAck...both stories about the same events...

A group of Prisoners escapes from a Soviet Gulag in Siberia...and walk to India, thru Siberia, Mongolia, over the HImalayas and into INdia.

There was also a movie made...gripping story...although there is some doubt about its complete veracity, it makes for a compelling read and movie.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here