General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1981 Ducati 500SL Pantah resurrection

<< < (2/16) > >>

Groover:
Another fun one, watching!

Swedemoto:
Watching also!! I'm slow getting into my 600SL. Holding for a move.
Curious about the manual though, i'm not sure if what is posted is complete.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
Maintenance record (written on the inside back cover of the workshop manual).

Rough Edge racing:
 I cleaned extensive rust from the rotors, flushed the brake fluid and put in inexpensive pads...a road test will determine if the rotors need to be skimmed on a lathe.
   The valve clearances were within specifications...Ne w timing belts from Gotham Ducati parts.The engine started ok and ran long enough to warm up with no smoke or funny noises,but didn't idle reliability unless the choke was on. Above it was smooth...I cleaned the carbs by soaking them in cleaner for a few hours but not much better. They may need more sophisticated  cleaning.It did not seem to have intake air leaks. Looking through the spark plug hole while hand turning the engine the valves were fairly clean. I statically  checked ignition timing after rewiring the pick up....when the left side engine cover was off there was no debris to be seen. Same as when the oil was changed...I believe the engine is sound. If you put the bike in gear , pull in the clutch, it does release, but didn't  road test it..
 I really wanted to keep I but a 61 BSA A10 deal seemed more my type of bike....Charlie will make this Ducati all good again...

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: Rough Edge racing on September 15, 2020, 07:41:48 AM --- I cleaned extensive rust from the rotors, flushed the brake fluid and put in inexpensive pads...a road test will determine if the rotors need to be skimmed on a lathe.
   The valve clearances were within specifications...Ne w timing belts from Gotham Ducati parts.The engine started ok and ran long enough to warm up with no smoke or funny noises,but didn't idle reliability unless the choke was on. Above it was smooth...I cleaned the carbs by soaking them in cleaner for a few hours but not much better. They may need more sophisticated  cleaning.It did not seem to have intake air leaks. Looking through the spark plug hole while hand turning the engine the valves were fairly clean. I statically  checked ignition timing after rewiring the pick up....when the left side engine cover was off there was no debris to be seen. Same as when the oil was changed...I believe the engine is sound. If you put the bike in gear , pull in the clutch, it does release, but didn't  road test it..
 I really wanted to keep I but a 61 BSA A10 deal seemed more my type of bike....Charlie will make this Ducati all good again...

--- End quote ---

:thumb: :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version