Author Topic: After market speedos  (Read 9008 times)

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
After market speedos
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:00:21 PM »
So, having logged a grand total of 56 miles on my NOS Veglia speedometer before it crapped out, I'm looking for better quality. Has anyone ever found a decent speedometer that fits in an Eldo police dash? Price isn't to important as long as it works more than an hour. Thanks   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: After market speedos
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:17:45 PM »
Check out Speedhut, they allow you to configure the face to look something like original
http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Elec.-Prog.-Speedometers-Gauges-Only/1:4|39:1
3-3/8", 4", 4-1/2", 5-1/2"
Use a pulse input type, not GPS
I can show you how to make a speed pickup.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:50:20 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
Have you considered sending the Veglia speedo to Palo Alto Speedometer?  They have been rebuilding speedometers and other gages for over half a century, and do an outstanding job.

Not inexpensive, but them come back as good as new, and keeps a fine old bike original.

I have used them since the 70s on many makes.

Usual disclaimer. 

Ciao,
Dick
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:36:53 PM »
I've considered that, but I'm abit suspicious/nervous about having a $600 speedometer(original price and repair) that might only go another 56 miles
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:36:53 PM »

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:32:29 AM »
Just curious Roy. Why not a gps model?   :BEER:

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
So, having logged a grand total of 56 miles on my NOS Veglia speedometer before it crapped out,

Sounds fishy.  Are you sure it is the instrument that has failed and not the drive system?  Stick something in the back of the instrument and use your electric drill.

It is VERY common for the cable system to be mis-mounted.  If the square ends of the internal drive cable do not penetrate the instrument or the transmission's driving gear to an adequate depth, then the cable will slip and not drive accurately (or at all).  The cable ends usually have some sort of split/crimping ferrule at the end to lock positioning and it is quite easy to dislodge during repairs.

:+1 on the question of why not the GPS system from SpeedHut?  Would seem to be an improvement in speed/distance accuracy until you drive in tunnels or deep forests.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
ITI speedo, Sigma bicycle reed pickup, and magnets from the hardware  store.  Mount magnets on wheel, sigma reed switch on front fork or rear frame and run wire to speedo.  Calibrate.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
speedousa.com is offering 10% off your next purchase right now, so it may not be necessary to go aftermarket after all.

I don't have the figure for it any more though, although they fit under a wetsuit well.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Bill Havins

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
Just curious Roy. Why not a gps model?   :BEER:

I can't speak for Roy, but IMHO GPS receivers are prone to "blackouts" from things like highway overpasses, tunnels, trees lining forest roads, rows of tall buildings, tall buildings, not-so-tall buildings, rain, and on the list goes on.  That's not a real problem for route-finding.  But it is a problem when you really need to be "pulse-counting" (i.e., pulses from a speed sensor).

Good luck!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:13:01 PM by Bill Havins »

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
Just to clarify my woes, I have the original speedo with no trip meter but I wanted a trip meter to keep track of fueling needs. Too old and not smart enough to keep track of gas in 5 bikes. So bought a new speedo from a Convert that has a tripmeter. On the maiden voyage of my 71 Police Ambo with an Eldorado police dash I hit the gas station at 56 miles to fuel up. Went to re-set the trip meter, turned over a digit and it quit. Probably broke a plastic gear inside but if one gear is crap what hope is there for the rest. It's a $300 fix on a $250 speedo plus shipping and an unknown future. That's why I thought about after market. PS I do have some sympathy for my fellow man and would never be caught in a speedo in public!   :BEER:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
My next one will be one from Koso, integrated speedo/tach with all the lights and stuff internal.  They also have a couple of speedo sender units that probably could be juggled to fit.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

190 Octane

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
I have speedhut gauges in my truck, a 1965 F100.  Mine is the pulse per mile kind, not gps.  I switched over from another set of electronic gauges, so I already had the sending unit on my transmission.  They replaced a set of digital gauges I had reused form another project, the switch defiantly classed up my truck interior.

My tach and speedo are the ones speedhut uses in this banner.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Phew...I'm very relieved that this is not a bathing suit thread!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

dibble

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
I have a mini Koso when I was searching the web for a suitable one I searched "mini speedo bike" then hit Images.

I saw pictures of chaps sitting on motorbikes in shocking states of undress.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
OK. So here's bribe/threat. If I don't get a decent lead or find a suitable replacement for my new t$ts-up veglio speedometer, I will post pictures of my ample self in a speedo and destroy everyones eye sight.   :BEER:

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »
speedousa.com is offering 10% off your next purchase right now, so it may not be necessary to go aftermarket after all.

I don't have the figure for it any more though, although they fit under a wetsuit well.
;D ;D ;D ;D
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
Bill Havins:  What ever happened to your prototype Motorcycle Information Display as described a year ago on this forum?  At the time, you were sourcing a liquid crystal display from China, after many local and international frustrations.  You also sought WGC ideas as to the shape of the display.  Then, you went off the radar...

Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks, Bill.

Ralph 
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
Me?   ???  :BEER:

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
Here in Oz I  used Otto Instruments who fitted a VDU unit inside the Vague Liar and it looked the same but worked entirely betterer. I'd say it's probably still working after about 10 years.
Cost about $300 I seem to recall. I bet there's someone in the USA as clever as Otto. Least I hope there is.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »
Just curious Roy. Why not a gps model?   :BEER:

More expensive and you have an antenna to hide.
I like the idea of making use of the existing speedo drive, this is the sensor I built from scrap

I should have asked for the Guzzi Logo
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:08:50 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Bill Havins

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »

Bill Havins:  What ever happened to your prototype Motorcycle Information Display as described a year ago on this forum?....Then, you went off the radar...

Thanks for asking, Ralph.  Very briefly, it got pushed to the back burner when a friend of mine asked me to work on his project on a near full time basis.  His project is a new type of eyewear that will be manufactured in Italy.  As it turns out, Bill Hagan used to live about an hour or so from the Italian factory that will produce these for us (small world, eh?).  It has been a pretty intense project.

The Motorcycle Information Display prototype is sitting here on the corner of my desk.  I am "reducing it" to a single LCD and have made many other changes prompted by what I learned from the prototype.  But, as I said, it's really on the back burner and will stay there until around May or June when the eyewear project hits the market.  At that point we'll see if I stay involved; Judy wants me to return to work on the MID.  But she's like that.

Now back to the original thread...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:41:13 PM by Bill Havins »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
Thanks, Bill, for the update.  My Sigma bicycle speedo/odo continues to give me the odo readouts I want and looks to be durable enough to last until your MIDs are marketable.  Worth the wait.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
IIRC, my friend Dave Otis used an aftermarket replacement Harley unit on his Loop with police dash. Fit into the hole fine, but the calibration was off (I don't remember just how much though). Something like these:

http://www.jpcycles.com/1980-harley-davidson-electra-glide-flh-80/speedometers
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:20:52 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Have you considered sending the Veglia speedo to Palo Alto Speedometer?  They have been rebuilding speedometers and other gages for over half a century, and do an outstanding job.

Not inexpensive, but them come back as good as new, and keeps a fine old bike original.

I have used them since the 70s on many makes.

Usual disclaimer. 

Ciao,
Dick

Palo Alto's quality and service seems to have taken a turn for the worse according to several friends who have tried them.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here