General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1976 T3 to Le Mans Replica mini build

<< < (3/9) > >>

smdl:

--- Quote from: Northern Bill on April 22, 2017, 12:03:46 PM ---I can't say much about the exhaust. I've only been around the block.  I did get my plate yesterday so I am going for a test run later today.
l read a comment once that the La Franconi exhaust sounds like a big block v8. When I rode it around the block, I thought to myself "that really sounds good, just like a big block v8" but in all truth I am not sure what a big block v8 really sounds like! At times like this I wonder if I can think for myself these days. The influence of media on us all is huge.

After my run this afternoon I will report back on the sound.

--- End quote ---

The Ontario Guzzi Riders are meeting for brunch tomorrow in Tottenham if you feel like taking a longer test ride.  We'd love to see you creation!

You can find our event calendar here:

http://ontarioguzziriders.com/eventcalendar.html

Cheers,
Shaun

Northern Bill:
Thanks for the invitation Shaun. I can't make it tomorrow but I will print the calendar and try to make another one.

Well the first ride went pretty well.  I didn't go that far but I went far enough to open it up a bit and do a few corners.  The acceleration from a standing start wasn't earth shattering but the roll on was pretty impressive. It will certainly be fast enough for me.  The handling seemed to be excellent. The bike seemed rock solid through the corners.  The sound was very nice and definitely not harsh. 

It looks like I have a few things to sort out though.  The rear brake reservoir seemed to have little or no pressure so that will be first on the list.  The clutch was also very stiff so that will be next.  Another issue was that the revs fell very slowly when the throttle was pulled back. The cable itself returned quickly so I will have to look elsewhere. It was almost like the bike was still on choke?

Overall I am really happy with the first ride. 

Groover:
Good ride report. Could maybe the choke plungers be worn out? Does it idle well?

Northern Bill:
I went out for another short ride this morning.  This bike is definitely fast enough for me!!  I am getting more comfortable with it on each ride.  The issues I mentioned previously are still there so I will have to have someone who knows guzzis take it for a ride and give me an opinion.

Regarding the choke, I would not be surprised if the plungers need work so I will check them out.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

canuck750:
If the rpm does not drop quickly on release of throttle (assuming the carburetor slide springs are of sufficient strength to return the slide - most are too strong) the rpm should level off quickly. If not you probably have an air leak. If you are running VHB 29 or VHB 30 carbs the top cover gasket is likely the culprit or there is an air leak around the carb to inlet body or inlet body to cylinder head, the castings warp a bit over time, common with alloy castings of the period and the caps may not be fitting as tight to the paper gasket as they should. You could make your own pattern replacements out of a better quality gasket sheet or try a little silicone around the outside of the carb body to cap, just a tiny line of sealant. Check for air leaks around the inlet fittings.

I have found that the replacement cables I have been buying lately are just too long and I can not get enough slack in the 8mm threaded fitting that screws into the top of the carb. I took the carb cap off and fit it in a vice then flat file down the threaded boss that protrudes out of the top of the carb. By filing down a millimetre or two I was able to get the adjustment I needed in the cables and the idle speed was then able to come way down so that I could use the idle adjustment screw on the carb to set idle.

The clutches are very a heavy pull, not sure you can get much relief from it.

I would fit speed bleeders to your brake calipers, it makes bleeding the calipers much easier, you can order the speed bleeders on line direct from the manufacturer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version