Author Topic: (NGC) - Need advice from those that may know something about this.  (Read 776 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
House that we are moving out from was treated today for termites since a small past infestation had been found in an outside Gazebo. This evening the house was being shown and when they opened the door to our storm room (underneath our front porch) the floor and most everything in the room was wet from the treatment. A lot of concrete dust and debris and a neat row of holes in the ceiling near the inner wall. I was able to contact the owner of the company (also the one that did the damage) this evening. He had not realized that we had a storm room and that he had drilled through. I have not been through a treatment here but realize from the noise that drilling was involved but had no idea what was happening. Hey they are the pros, right? Also due to not knowing much about this kind of work it didn't dawn on me to bring the storm room to their attention plus this style of storm room is pretty common in this area.
They will be out in the morning to start cleaning up. Is everything ruined due to the chemicals? What kind of problems does this possibly cause. How should it be properly cleaned up? Are the holes going to be a problem and how to be repaired? The person that did this overall house inspection seemed very experienced and knowledgable. Am thinking about calling him to come out to check it out. Probably should also contact my lawyer. Have another showing scheduled tomorrow evening.
Sorry for the length.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Re: (NGC) - Need advice from those that may know something about this.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:22:49 PM »
That sucks!

I've tackled carpenter ants a few times, and have now settled on my favorite Boric Acid recipe, but my understanding is that termites are a completely different ball game requiring a much more noxious attack.

Your professional exterminator SHOULD be the guy to answer the questions concerning dangers and a game plan, but I wouldn't have much confidence in him at this point.  :rolleyes:

Until you find out exactly what pesticides were used and if they are meant to be used for both indoor/outdoor applications, and a safe time line for the fumes to become inert or cleaned up, I'd be leary about breathing in the fumes without some type of protection and letting others breath it in as well.

You'd hate to have a potential buyer look at the property, then dream up some lawsuit just to put the icing on the cake. 

If termites are a well known issue in your area and the smell of the pesticide is noticeable, you could always get the agent to put a positive spin on it, that you had extra applications applied to prevent problems for any future owners  :angel:

I hope it resolves well and easily for you.
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
Bug poison is basically diluted nerve agent.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
Talk to the lawyer.  The chemical guy screwed up. Unless chemical contractor had a disclaimer in contract that you signed (?) about incidental damages to property & the amount of disclosure customer must provide regarding specific features like below-grade spaces, I expect he is responsible for the cost to remedy the useless holes, the damaged property, clean-up and making the treatment you paid for (?) good.  He misapplied the chemicals, which is likely a potential negative against his chemical license if he has one.  Hopefully he'll be willing to make it right without a fight. 

MSDS of chemicals used should provide some guidance regarding compounds present and remedy of exposure and contamination.    Por-Rock (used to install anchors in concrete floors) may be a simple permanent remedy for the holes if it's a solid wall.  If the holes penetrate two layers of concrete block with a void in the center, it will be more challenging to dam and fill them.

Long ago, We had a GM in a professional kitchen go bug-nuts one day because he saw one roach before the kitchen opened one morning.  He poured a few gallons of undiluted pro-grade pesticide all over the kitchen and counters.  We had to wipe it off counters & tables before we could prep. But there were puddles on floor everywhere that he instructed us to leave in place.  Many went home sick at some point, including me after spending all day in that stuff.   It led to a big Health Dept smackdown for him and only narrowly avoidied major workmans comp problems.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
Update. Poison control said the chemical used is quite mild toward humans and clean up with soap and water is adequate. He and another employee spent the morning cleaning the floor, walls and contents. Sleeping bags he took and is having them laundered. It is warm today so the house is opened up. A contractor has been lined up to do the concrete repair next week. Appears that what needs to be done is being done. Took pictures and have documented contacts, etc. Did check with a lawyer who said to wait and see what he does.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »
Good to see that the contractor is taking responsibility for his mistake. As stated improper application of pesticides is a serious matter. I wouldn't take his word for the toxicity. Make him provide you with the SDS sheet for the product.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »
Orange oil is a common treatment in SoCal. Kills termites but is non toxic to humans and pets. Better than Vikane which requires whole house tenting and a hotel stay.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »
Paper everything with emails and take a lot of pictures.  Keep a note book of dates and times and conversations to refresh your recollection later if need be.  Check with your insurance agent to see if your policy covers the damage and if so email your agent and let them know of the problem.  If your state is anything like MA the statue of limitations for bringing claims is several years, so don’t worry about that for now.  Don’t sign any release until you know you’re at an end result with the house condition.  Your eventual sale will let you know if you’ve lost any value due to this.  Don’t try to hide what happened from any prospective buyer. What I’ve learned in 30 years of dealing with these types of things as an attorney. Best of luck.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »
Thanks Scout63:
Good advice. Have pics and am documenting. The cleanup guidance came from the poison control center at KU. They seemed very familiar with the agent used (Termidor - (Fipronyl)) and said it is fairly benign to humans. A release has not been mentioned. So far they problem is being taken care of and I don't think it will put any buyers off since it is basically a rough finish concrete room and normally one wouldn't have the door open.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 06:02:33 PM »
You might want to ask the pest control guy, what kind of termites? and do you need ground treatment for termites?  Most of the pest control guys in Hawaii have switched to the orange oil treatment unless there is a full tent treatment of a house.  Imagine you house enclosed in a closed tent then poisonous gases release to fumigate everything at once.  The most common termite out here is the Formosan termite.  They'll work their way through concrete to get through to wood.  Amazing little creatures.  They don't eat the concrete, they'll tunnel through it. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here