Author Topic: Books , authors , let's discuss  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
Re: Books , authors , let's discuss
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2021, 10:36:11 AM »
My all-time favorite book is 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac. I intend to read the rest of his books after reading this one.

Other favorites include 'Jupiters Travels' by Ted Simon, 'Mondo Enduro' by Austin Vince and 'Two Wheels Through Terror' by Glen Heggstad.

In the awful list is just one book: 'Lone Rider' by Elsbeth Beard. To date it remains the only book I ever regretted reading. Absolutely awful. Just because you rode a motorcycle around the world doesn't mean your book will be fun, interesting or even worth reading. My God this book was terrible!

I wasn't able to get into 'Brave New Word' (Huxley). One day I'll finish it. I suspect some books are considered to be good just for being first, ground breaking or controversial and not for their writing. 'On the Road' was well written. This book (what little of it I've read), is not.

Once I finish 'Heart of Darkness' (Conrad) I'll get started on 'Crime and Punishment' (Dostoevsky) and the 'Gulag Archipelago' (Solzhenitsyn). Since I like Russian watches, firearms and movies I figure I should give their books a shake.

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
My girlfriend asked me if I've ever read James Joyce's Ulysses.  I told her, "Honey, nobody's read Ulysses."

So, anyone read it?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:43:22 AM by john fish »
He lost the run of himself.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2021, 11:18:20 AM »
Uhg...Ulysses and it's parallel the Odyssey...That obscene and somewhat insane tale of Mr.Blooms jaunt through Ireland at the turn of the century...made it through every page but I'm sure it was way above my feebleness...I believe some of it needed to be translated  :bike-037: :popcorn:
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2021, 11:23:18 AM »
My other favs, Not to start a debate, mind, were Zen (you know-and it's a philosophy book, not a bike book), and Papillion, the story of a French criminal.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2021, 11:23:18 AM »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
Great Topic.  Don't really have a favorite author, but many. I read a lot of History, mostly military or presidential related, and Sci Fi of all types.

If I had to pick a favorite book based on how many times I've gone back to it, it would be Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'. Usually read annually.  For History, it would be HW Crocker's "Don't Tread On Me"

Favorite authors Fiction in no order, ANY is a good read: Tolkien, Asimov, Scalzi, Lovecraft, Scott-Card, King, Burroughs, Twain, HG Wells, Arthur C Clarke, Heinlein.

Favorite authors History: HW Crocker, McCullough, Metaxas, Millard, Atkinson

I just finished Sir Shackleton's "South", an amazing story, and started "Path Between the Seas by McCullough. I'm also reading a very interesting look at Lincoln called "They Knew Lincoln" by John E Washington that focuses on where Lincoln really stood on the issues of slaves and slavery. He was a child living in Washington DC during the Lincoln assassination, and was raised by those who knew him well. It is filled with first hand interviews, and very interesting so far.   
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »
I've yet to find an author who could convey the nuances of the human condition like Steinbeck could.  The Wayward Bus really stands out (for me) among his works.  A. J. Liebling had the same gift.
Right now, just about finished with Chernow's biography of U. S. Grant.  Next in the queue is The Greatest Beer Run Ever.

I tend to favor historical stuff, as what passes for history courses in high school and college (for non-history majors) is just glossing over the high points.  Well researched history subjects
really open up to making connections to other events.  I live for those "aha!" moments.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:09:22 PM by cloudbase »

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »
Opps I forgot to mention the question at hand....too many favorite authors...but I'll mention the last few years I've been reading biographies and autobiographies mostly from musicians, as I've been one all my life

George Harrison I me mine
BB King  Blues all Around me
Phil Lesh Searching for the Sound
Paul McCartney The Life.......also The Love We Make
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run ......Long Walk Home
Rory Block Prove It On Me
Warren Zevon Nothing's Bad Luck
Eric Clapton The Auto Biography
Robbie Robertson Once Were Brothers
Les Paul In His Own Words
Jerry Garcia Jerry on Jerry
Frank Sinatra, All or Nothing at All......His way

etc...
2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
Charles Sasser is an Okie writer  with a pretty big portfolio. Historic fiction and other non fiction titles, Some of his books are required reading in some military academies. https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/28221.Charles_W_Sasser    

"Bio

Charles W. Sasser

Charles W. Sasser has been a full-time freelance writer/journalist/photographer since 1979. He is a veteran of both the U.S. Navy (journalist) and U.S. Army (Special Forces, the Green Berets), a combat veteran and former combat correspondent wounded in action. He also served fourteen years as a police officer (in Miami, Florida, and in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he was a homicide detective). He has taught at universities, lectured nationwide, and traveled extensively throughout the world. He has published over 3000 articles and short stories in magazines ranging from Guideposts, Parents and Christian Life to Soldier of Fortune, True West, and Writer’s Digest. He is author, co-author or contributing author of more than 50 books and novels.

As an adventurer, Sasser has, at various times: solo-canoed across the Yukon; sailed the Caribbean; motorbiked across the continent; rode camels in the Egyptian desert; floated the Amazon River; dived for pirate treasure; rode horses across Alaska; motorcycled Europe; climbed Mount Rainier; ran with the bulls in Spain; chased wild mustangs…

He has been a professional rodeo clown and bronc rider; professional kickboxer; sky diver and SCUBA diver; college professor; newspaperman; archaeologist/anthropologist…

Sasser now lives on a ranch in Chouteau, Oklahoma with wife Donna where he is a writer, rancher, and businessman who trains horses and team ropes. He also has a private pilot’s license and is an ultralite aircraft Certified Flight Instructor. "      I have read 3 or 4 of his books and enjoyed them.   
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2021, 01:43:49 PM »
Anything by Clayton Lindemuth, beginning with "My Brother's Destroyer".

Cormac McCarthy anytime.
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2021, 01:45:55 PM »
I read all the time. My wife says I will read anything including cereal boxes if there is nothing else available. I have read too many books that I really liked that I couldn't start to recall to include here. Like others Michener is near the top. One that had me laughing out loud so hard several times that I had tears running down my cheeks was The Milagro Bean Field Wars. Motorcycle subject, The Worlds Fastest Indian, the movie was an insult to this excellent book. One of the best and unfortunately I can't remember the title or author and I have tried to look it up so I could read it again but I have been unable to find it. It about a guy who bought a coal fired ship in Europe brought it to the US and turned it into a salvage recovery vessel, went through all kinds of trials, tribulations and turned that investment into the largest maritime salvage company in the world.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
 The Shipping News by Annie Proulx . Hell , even the movie was good .

Dusty

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
I think I’ve got the paperwork.  Kinda of a Ken Kesey bunch thing?

I'm not familiar with him, so I can't really say. It's about a group of 4 characters, varied in backgrounds and personality, who team up to commit acts of industrial sabotage to slow the destruction of natural wonders and resources in the 60s or 70s. Excellent book.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »
Historical Biography:
Two Years Before The Mast : Dana
Sailing Around The World: Slocum
Around The World Singlehanded: Pigeon
Tschiffley's Ride: Tschiffley
Richard Francis Burton Biography: Farwell
Marine! Chesty Puller Bio: Davis
Thud Ridge: Broughton
The March Up Country: Xenophon Anabaxis
Noel Wien, Alaska Pioneer Bush Pilot: Harvey
The Man Who Walked Through Time: Colin Fletcher

Historical Fiction:
Aztec: Jennings
Tortilla Flats: Steinbeck
 Tobacco Road: " "
East of Eden:  "  "
Ken Keasey

Fiction:
Deadeye Dick: Vonnegut

Sci Fi Series:
Riverworld: Farmer
Casca: King
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
For motorcycle reading and truly mad adventurous spirit, it's hard to beat Des Molloy's two books:

"No one said it would be easy https://www.amazon.com/No-One-Said-Would-Easy-ebook/dp/B07YX1Q629  and

"The Last Hurrah" https://www.amazon.com/Last-Hurrah-Beijing-Arnhem-2005/dp/0954791258 for pure mad, hair-brained adventures on old Panthers, Noron and a pre-war BSA.

Of course, I quality literature is what you're after  :evil:, you won't go far wrong with my latest masterpiece:

"The Ghosts of Holleford Lake" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TYVDG1H
available in whichever format turns your crank.

Nick

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »
Opps I forgot to mention the question at hand....too many favorite authors...but I'll mention the last few years I've been reading biographies and autobiographies mostly from musicians, as I've been one all my life

George Harrison I me mine
BB King  Blues all Around me
Phil Lesh Searching for the Sound
Paul McCartney The Life.......also The Love We Make
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run ......Long Walk Home
Rory Block Prove It On Me
Warren Zevon Nothing's Bad Luck
Eric Clapton The Auto Biography
Robbie Robertson Once Were Brothers
Les Paul In His Own Words
Jerry Garcia Jerry on Jerry
Frank Sinatra, All or Nothing at All......His way

etc...

Then there's the mountaineering biographies and autobiographies  :)
Ricardo Cassin,
Giusto Gervesutti.....my WGC namesake
Henry Barber
Yvonne Chouinard (btw....net worth 1.5 billion...not bad for a blacksmith rock climber)
Jong Long
Jeff Lowe
Shackelton's Endurance
Rick Ridgway
Gaston Rebuffat
Phillipe Benuzzi
Jon Krakaurer
Walter Bonnatti
Sir Edmund Hilary
Reinhold Messner

2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2021, 04:12:23 PM »
Jack London; The Call of the Wild, Seawolf, The Art of Hawaiian Surfing.
Kirk

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2021, 05:02:15 PM »
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx . Hell , even the movie was good .

Dusty

Yes, that's a great book, by a great author - didn't see the movie.
I remember thinking the first 50-100 pages of the book were just supreme fiction writing - breathtaking.

Many of her short stories from Wyoming are wonderful, too. Most notably Brokeback Mountain, also a great movie.

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2021, 10:14:01 PM »
Ah, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my all time favorite non fantasy book: "The Monkey Wrench Gang." Who's read it, and for those who have, who is your favorite character? I'm a Seldom Seen Smith man, myself.

It has been said that having interest in that book can get your name put on a list - that's probably old news though.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2021, 12:18:06 AM »
It has been said that having interest in that book can get your name put on a list - that's probably old news though.

That was absolutely a thing. On the other hand, even if it's still true, we're all probably on one list or another because of some random thing, at this point.  :laugh:
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:51 AM »
Dusty said not to tell anyone that his favorite author is Danielle Steele'

Tex

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »
Anything by Cormac McCarthy but Suttree is at the top.
The Sicilian by Mario Puzo
Everyman ,Exit Ghost ,and Indignation by Philip Roth
American Meteor by Norman Lock
The Son and American Rust by Philipp Meyer
The Sisters Brothers and French Exit which is a new movie by Patrick deWitt
ANYTHING by E.L. Doctorow - Homer & Langely ,The March , Billy Bathgate ect.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
This is great, picked up two new authors to explore.

Charles Sasser - Patton (along with Lee) is one of my favorite figures in recent/modern history
Brandon Sanderson - I've wrung out most of my favorite Science Fiction authors. Discovered John Scalzi a few years ago and the "Old Mans War" series of books, look forward to seeing if Sanderson is up to snuff.

When young, I loved the classics, Steinbeck, Hemingway, etc. "The Old man and the sea" was one of my favorites. May need to revisit some of those.

Great topic, thanks Dusty.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2021, 05:16:44 PM »
Favorites include The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky, the Dune series by Frank Herbert including the follow ups by his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Anderson and Michael A. Stackpole wrote a buncha Star Wars books I was a fan of. Also Nimitz Class series by Patrick Robinson. Robert Jordans series The Wheel of Time. Brian Jacques Redwall series. Robert Ludlum's Bourne trilogy is great, but his other works not so much. David Hackworth's About Face is fantastic. Right now reading Jordan Petersons 12 Rules which fantastic so far.

A decade or so ago, I had a set of the Great Books of the Western World and read that through. There's nothing you can go wrong with in there.

I tend to read about history, military, or old old stuff.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline V7Record

• Hatchling
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »
I liked the Redwall series too and forgot all about them, might be time to dig them out and reread them!  (Wonder if they're still buried on the bookshelves somewhere...)  :undecided:

oldbike54

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2021, 06:42:10 PM »
 Slightly surprised that Normzone hasn't mentioned "The Well of Souls" series by Jack Chalker .

Dusty

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 05:15:41 PM »
A loud shout for the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels. Set in a world supported on the backs of four elephants standing on a turtle, and populated by wizards, witches, dwarves, trolls and other species. It tips its hat to Shakespeare and Tolkien while being wholly original.

Offline lad

• Hatchling
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2021, 05:30:45 PM »
My newest favorite series is "The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson.

Bridge Four!
'96 1100i

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »
   About 15 years ago, while sitting around a campfire at a Guzzi ralley, I mentioned to the guy next to me that I wished I would have chosen a different career path. I was working as a maintenance technician in a corrugated box factory. He suggested I read "Shop Class As Soulcraft" by  Matthew B. Crawford. That book greatly lifted my spirits and got me through the last ten years of my employment until I retired.

Offline lad

• Hatchling
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2021, 05:55:30 PM »
last read: apex hides the hurt-colson whitehead,
currently: prisoners of geography- tim marshall
next:...hmm...have one on bird migration, or sanderson's mist born, or the making of poetry. hard to tell
'96 1100i

Offline Tiny Tim

• New Egg
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2021, 06:24:58 PM »
https://www.nickadamswriting.com/

Some of you guy's I'm sure know of Nick Adams adventures I'm sure. He is a die hard Moto Guzzi guy and a great writer. Check out his website for motorcycling stories and more. I also enjoy his YouTube channel.   :thumb: 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here