General Category > General Discussion

Steering Head - How Tight?

(1/3) > >>

Bpreynolds2:
I just greased and replaced the upper and lower tapered bearings on my ‘03 Stone project.  First time doing this kind of work on any bike and putting it all back together, even after watching vids and trying to research on here, I’m confused as to how tight I should go down on the top spanner nut?  Any advice appreciated here.  I first tightened them down very tight to try and set the bearing, then I backed it off but confused how tight it should be.  Should I feel any resistance when turning the tree?  A little resistance?  None?  Is it splitting hairs?  Thanks. 

Scout63:
I tighten the stem until it just starts to bind, then back it off a tiny bit.  You want smooth movement with no fore and aft looseness. 

yogidozer:

--- Quote from: Perazzimx14 on November 27, 2021, 07:57:30 AM ---This ^^^^ is what eye dew.

--- End quote ---
Me 2  :wink:

Bpreynolds2:
As usual much thanks guys :boozing:

Huzo:
None of the above I think is wrong.
But I’d not use the nut to bed the races by pulling them up “very tight”. It’s a bit cruel to brutally force the inner and outer together with that level of force.
If you freeze the inner and (perhaps) warm the housing, they should fall in. But I do appreciate the need to have them properly seated.
A simple tool can be made in the form of a long bolt and two discs, with the the bolt through the stem and the discs drawing the races together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version