General Category > General Discussion

Steering Head - How Tight?

<< < (3/3)

Moparnut72:
My former Audace was always a bit notchy, especially at slower speeds.  I was having more and more trouble riding it as I got older and more feeble. I decided to check the steering even though it was a low mileage bike. So I pulled out the service station manual to see what it had to say. It gave a ridiculously high value to torque the nut so I set it up using the Harley method. Mucho betta.
kk

guzziart:

--- Quote from: Bpreynolds2 on November 27, 2021, 07:43:32 AM ---I just greased and replaced the upper and lower tapered bearings on my ‘03 Stone project.  First time doing this kind of work on any bike and putting it all back together, even after watching vids and trying to research on here, I’m confused as to how tight I should go down on the top spanner nut?  Any advice appreciated here.  I first tightened them down very tight to try and set the bearing, then I backed it off but confused how tight it should be.  Should I feel any resistance when turning the tree?  A little resistance?  None?  Is it splitting hairs?  Thanks.

--- End quote ---

If it was my Stone and I had no specs….
-Gradually torque lower spanner to 20-25 lbft
-Back off lower spanner ¼ to ½ turn
-Torque locking spanner to 30 to 45 lbft
-Install top clamp & torque nut to 50-70 lbft
-Loosely install forks & frt wheel
-Attach a cheap fish scale to a fork leg just below the lower clamp.  The amount of force to pull through lock to lock should be 3 to 5 lbs. 
If the force is required is less than 3 lbs, the lower spanner needs to be snugged a bit...remember you loosened it ¼ to ½  of a turn so, to snug rotate clockwise maybe an 1/8 turn, reassemble with lock spanner & top nut and recheck for 3-5 lbs. 
If the force is required is more than 5 lbs, the lower spanner needs to be loosened a bit...remember you loosened it ¼ to ½  of a turn so, to loosen, rotate counter clockwise maybe an 1/8, reassemble with lock spanner & top nut and recheck for 3-5 lbs. 

IMO, the 3-5 lbs of force is more important than the overall torque of the locking spanner & top nut.  Once the 3-5 lb spec is achieved, continue reassembling front end.

Good luck & hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version