Author Topic: NGC-Hornworms  (Read 3604 times)

redrider

NGC-Hornworms
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:44:25 AM »
Damned pests! Invaded one of my tomato plants. So far, only one affected but the hunt is on. Specifically, I have tobacco hornworms and I need some wasp colonies.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC-Hornworms
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
Dorcia has found that if you pick it off and smash it between two bricks, it will squirt out on her leg.. :evil: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:10:29 AM »
The bug or the tomato?
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:46:09 AM »
Ummmy, pan fried Hornworm and fried green tomato!!  Show them buggers what they get for messing with your garden.  Excellent source of protein and when cooked in olive oil very good for you!!
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
They sure are wild looking creatures...they get fat fast. Kill 'em all, let the birds sort them out  :azn:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
damn things are hard to spot too, excellent camo for a tomato plant. I found the easiest way to locate one is by there droppings on the leaves , just follow them up the plant to the source. I threw a big one out in the street a couple years ago and two blue jays fought savagely over it, didn't end well for the caterpillar.

Another regular nuisance on our tomato's has been the crows. Last year we lost a bunch to them , found them smashed all over the yard. An old timer told me that they just want the juice for a drink and if you leave some water out for them they will leave your tomato's alone. I say feed em lead.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
 :wink:   Talk is cheap and lead is noisy - get a bow and a recipe    :wink:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
We don't have those in the ozarks but we do have the Japanese Beatles. She ruvs you yea yea, with a ruv like that, you know you should be grad.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
 When I was young my wife raised tomatos in the garden.  One day she found a huge green garden slug on a tomato vine.  It was about 4 inches long and fat.  I loaded up a hypodermic syringe with alcohol and mainlined it to the fatso.
 About an hour later I went out to the garden and found it still clinging by its' mouth to the vine but it had relaxed itself to death and was then about a foot long  still dangling from the vine.  She bought some slug bait.
 In Oregon they were not sure what should be the state animal.  The final two candidates were the garden slug and the gypo logger as in those days they were in about equal numbers.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »
:wink:   Talk is cheap and lead is noisy - get a bow and a recipe    :wink:

Here's the crow pie recipe we learned as kids:

pence (6)
rye (pocketful)
blackbirds (24)
pie crust (1)

Bake into pie.
Do not open pie in front of king.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
Damned pests! Invaded one of my tomato plants. So far, only one affected but the hunt is on. Specifically, I have tobacco hornworms and I need some wasp colonies.

No better sight than seeing a fat horn worm loaded down with those white parasite wasps on its back. Those are the ones I leave on the vines.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
Bass love them...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
"If it looks good.  Eat it!"  Andrew Zimmern.  Bizarre Foods.  :tongue:  "Uh....it don't look good." me.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:12 PM »
"If it looks good.  Eat it!"  Andrew Zimmern.  Bizarre Foods.  :tongue:  "Uh....it don't look good." me.  :shocked:

Umm, Tom, while spending time in the Arizona Desert I was always told that everything there is either ugly, painful or poisonous so I should never eat any local flora or fauna that was attractive *and* didn't try to hurt me.. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
Everything looks better cooked.  :grin:  Skunk pig, jack rabbit, rattle snake.  Stew then shred the meat.  Some stuff would have to be processed.  I lived in Mesa for about 9 years.  A pistol, sharp knife, matches and salt/pepper.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
BTW, hornworms can be great fun to hunt with a pellet rifle and if done right does not do much damage to the tomatoes. Much more satisfying than picking them off. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
Wow, what does your taxidermist say when you bring the biggest ones to him for mounting?

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »
"Lunch" ?   :grin:

redrider

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »
You might try hanging red Christmas tree ornaments on your tomato vines.  The birds peck them to no avail, and decide there's something wrong with your plants.  I think this needs to happen before your tomatoes start to ripen though...

(Yeah, my life is weird.)
She's not weird-my wife did the same as a prank on her father and she tied plastic bananas on my newly planted banana tree.(Our niece was visiting and in on it) I was halfway to the plant when my brain screamed "Sucker!" Years later, we still have fun like that.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
Some joker hung dozens of pink garden flamingos in the trees along the ferry route.  Almost every time I'm on the boat some tourist notices them and everyone starts taking pictures of the Alaska tree-dwelling flamingos.  Nobody notices that they're plastic and faded from 30 years of hanging in the trees.

redrider

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »
Laughter truly IS the best medicine.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
  A diet of red plastic makes those flamingos pink in Alaska.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »

Well good luck eating tomato hornworms as the leaves of tomato plants, just like potato plants are toxic to humans. I would expect that deep frying one of these fat worms after eating a fresh meal of tomato leaves would give you a might belly ache and them some.
Well I googled "eating tomato hornworms" and found a few hits of people who claim to have eaten them. If true then the hornworm much quickly digest the toxin making it eatable to humans. I still wouldn't take the chance.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:51:54 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »
They process cassava into edible carbohydrates eliminating cyanide.  Working on hornworms is certainly possible.  Whether one would want to is another story.  Risk vs. reward thing.

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
damn things are hard to spot too, excellent camo for a tomato plant. I found the easiest way to locate one is by there droppings on the leaves , just follow them up the plant to the source.

In the still of the morning, listen.  Crunch, crunch.

Or, jiggle the plant limbs a little. The ones that keep swinging slowly have a heavy worm on them.

And of course they hang upside down under a leaf, blending in.

Near the Fourth of July, we would tie a worm to a firecracker.  A satisfying splat of green juice.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
Okay, found this.......https://forums.egullet.org/topic/70430-green-tomato-hornworms/  Must be true it's on the internet.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »
  Horn worms are big enough to cut steaks from.  I've seen some that probably burn diesel.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here