Author Topic: Checking oil level - hot or cold?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline MotoKnee

• New Egg
    • YYYY
Re: Checking oil level - hot or cold?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2023, 06:18:10 AM »
I agree with the cold thing, at least on these types of motors (it doesn't make sense on some dry sump motors depending on how the system is plumbed and if it has the ability to drain down while sitting for periods of time - reference Sportsters).

But on the geometry thing - I didn't do "the maths" but instead I did the "practical test" and on the V7III with the US kickstand it made quite the difference - like the distance of ~half a quart on the dipstick (inserted sitting on top of the threads in both instances - which is another "preference" of mine).

Not being the first owner had me a little nervous about proper oil levels in my new to me racer. Checking nearly vertical, on the tires, cold, dipped not screwed, mine was full to the top of the hatch marks. Which then made me nervous about oil in the airbox, but it turned out to be clean and dry, not even a mist. No longer nervous, just riding.
No "Get Smart" fans here? The character's name is Maxwell Smart, not Adam :wink:
2020 V7III Racer

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2023, 06:58:41 AM »
Not being the first owner had me a little nervous about proper oil levels in my new to me racer. Checking nearly vertical, on the tires, cold, dipped not screwed, mine was full to the top of the hatch marks. Which then made me nervous about oil in the airbox, but it turned out to be clean and dry, not even a mist. No longer nervous, just riding.
No "Get Smart" fans here? The character's name is Maxwell Smart, not Adam :wink:

"Get Smart" fans?
How bout Smart fans?
 :evil:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2023, 06:11:14 PM »
I rode to Arizona once (okay, always) at a breakneck pace, and stopped for fuel there. Checked the oil, and it was a half quart low. Well, I had been flogging it, so I bought a quart and put somewhat less than half in.

Next morning, my cold bike had puked an oil puddle during the night. Oil level was just fine.

Oh, and I am selling the bike, first 1K USD cash takes it. I am just overwhelmed with work and apartment complex rules - rumor has it they're going to begin levying additional charges for air, sunlight, and gravity.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2023, 09:47:06 PM »
I had a stick fly out and disappear on the road.I only noticed when my leg was wet. I wonder if they’re tighter or looser when hot.

As did I. Seems like the early (2003 and a bit later) 750 smallblocks had a habit of doing this. Some quite inventive methods of solving the problem. My friend printed off on his 3D printer one of those plastic spanners that fit around the dipstick knob. No problems since then.

My 2003 Breva has it's oil checked level, hot and with the knob screwed in. I gather on later ones they changed it with the knob NOT screwed in, but don't know the year this happened. On my first oil change I measured out the 1.8 lits specified, went for a ride, then checked it. It was dead on the full mark. Checked it when cold and on mine at least there was very little difference.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2023, 09:47:06 PM »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2023, 06:49:49 AM »
It appears that putting a thicker O ring on the dipstick fixed it on my 2016 that would spit it out when very tight. Origional O ring was only a few thousands above the top of the groove. But, I still haven't removed the safety wire.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2023, 07:24:03 AM »
Those who’ve had a dipstick come loose—do you recall if you threaded it in when the engine was cold? I’ve always checked my oil when the engine was hot, hand right, and have always been able to remove it with my hand. Never needed a wrench during these 40,000 miles accumulated.

I wonder if threading the stick into a cold engine might make for a loose stick when the bike’s hot?
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2023, 04:34:52 PM »
I don't recall. I do check both ways. I do know it was in tight! My 15 and 17 never came loose. I'm sure they used the wrong O rings or cut the groove too deep.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2023, 11:50:11 AM »
"Get Smart" fans?
How bout Smart fans?
 :evil:

Missed it by that much! (agent 86 voice)
  So adding to the confusion a Harpers Outsider, or any spacer for the sump. A new mark at the 3 Qt level is helpful.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline MotoKnee

• New Egg
    • YYYY
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2023, 12:10:57 PM »

The oil pick up is there, which makes sense. It’s close, but as Adam Smart, ‘missed it by that much’

Ooops, I quoted the wrong post with the Get Smart reference. Sorry about that chief!
2020 V7III Racer

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2023, 02:04:08 PM »
   Oh Max....   (99's sexy voice)
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2023, 08:19:03 PM »
Those who’ve had a dipstick come loose—do you recall if you threaded it in when the engine was cold?

Cold.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2023, 09:24:09 AM »
Cold. On a 2010 Classic

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here