Author Topic: foot boards  (Read 863 times)

Offline wayneo

• New Egg
foot boards
« on: January 12, 2023, 02:02:35 AM »
has any one gone back to foot pegs on a 1100 californian

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: foot boards
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 06:59:59 AM »
It’s pretty simple, just get the lower frame rails with pegs from a Jackal, Stone or Bassa and swap them.maybe someone down there wants to trade their pegs for floorboards, I’ve done it a few times.

Or even from older Tonti frame bikes, the lower frame rails all fit.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 03:05:55 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 01:53:24 PM »
Done it.  It seems like I needed to fabricate some bushings or something to get the floorboard-style shifter and brake levers to work with the foot peg frame rails.  eBay is your friend for this stuff.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 11:29:09 PM »
I did it on my G5. I was lucky enough to find a complete left right set with pedals and linkage for $60.00 on eBay. Usually I just way overpay. I love floorboards.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 11:29:09 PM »

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 05:34:07 AM »
I  made the change yesterday. I was lucky to get a set from a Jackal with the rails and the pedals. The bling wasn't there, I guess Jackals didn't have bling. I've ordered that from Harpers as I don't like looking at the sidestand setup. Love the sidestand, just not how the mechanism looks.
Anyway to explain the process, I strapped the bike up to the rafters , supported the engine on blocks with jacks so I could alter the height, and had the bike initially on the centrestand.
I tackled the left side first , hoping to be able to leave the centre stand attached on the other side. This worked out and when I had fitted the left rail I lifted the back of the bike to take weight off the centre stand. At that point I also raised the blocks under the engine as then I had to remove the long bolts that hold the engine at the front and the gearbox at the back.
As I pushed those bolts across I fitted shorter ones in from the left to provide some support.
Once the right frame rail was in place I hammered the long bolts back in place and it was all good.
The only hassle I had was with the front crash bar mounts up under the headstock as the two bolts went into a plate that fell out once those bolts were removed. It was difficult getting the plate back in place. I used one of those telescopic things with a magnet on the end to wiggle the plate till I could start the first bolt.
The exhaust and the pannier mounts and the pillion footpeg mounts all had to be removed.
I couldn't have done it without the straps up to the roof.
 Love the result! Brake pedal under your toe and the shifter is so much more accurate this way. I can get neutral every time or not get it when passing through corners. It's great.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 08:12:05 AM »
What’s your plan for the side stand?  I kept the chrome covers on mine to hide the stand mount, but I’d like to leave it off.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 03:33:06 PM »
I've ordered new covers from Harpers. I don't get how you used the old ones. You must have butchered them as they have different openings and just don't fit. I wanted to keep all the footboard gear intact so if there's a future buyer they would have the choice of boards or pegs.
The guy I bought the pegs and rails from, for instance. fitted boards in preference 'for his broken old feet' and I know there are quite a few who prefer boards.
I actually like that bling, tacky as it may be, but I like it all as a whole statement of the slightly over the top fancy look.
And yes the sidestand mechanism is an eyesore and should have a nice chrome cover, but it's one of the best sidestands ever. I love the way it locks as it leans. It could even be used on a forwards slope without fear of falling off.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 11:47:59 AM »
IMHO, and my experience, on a big, heavy cruiser, like a 1400cc Guzzi...Victory Vision...or any Harley Bagger....a set of floorboards are hard to beat... :thumb: :boozing: :bow: :cool:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:50:01 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 05:27:40 PM »
 Is it possible to get a good picture of those rails? I might like to make that change as well.  I'd like to be sure I'm looking at the correct parts.
Are any other parts involved?  Edit---I see the drawing has a bunch of pieces!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:48:32 PM by dguzzi »
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline wayneo

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 01:13:12 AM »
 Thanks guys for your help cheers

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 08:58:34 AM »
Is it possible to get a good picture of those rails? I might like to make that change as well.  I'd like to be sure I'm looking at the correct parts.
Are any other parts involved?  Edit---I see the drawing has a bunch of pieces!

You don’t need that jumble of aluminum parts in the center, they should already be on your bike.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 05:59:16 PM »
I like it, but it took me a while to get used to the angle of the foot boards. Guzzi ff sets the toe about 1/2 inch further out than the heel for a more natural position. All my HD and GW friends are always telling me my floor boards are not straight.....joke is on them.
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 05:51:17 PM »

You don’t need that jumble of aluminum parts in the center, they should already be on your bike.
   Thank you Fotoguzzi, I meant when changing from floorboards to pegs...
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here