Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1034876 times)

matt in aust

Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #510 on: January 18, 2010, 04:54:03 AM »
Greetings from a lurking luddite (never posted anything before, so bear with me).

Matt, 52, currently farming in southern New South Wales (that's a State in Aust) between a couple of insignficant places called Tarcutta and Adelong (sheep, cattle, native grass seed, 4000 acres) married with one professional student daughter. Employees - me, wife and 4 Kelpies (sheep dog breed) - I'm very much at the bottom of the pecking order with wife and dogs fighting it out at the top. Done a few things at the same time as farming - journalist, technical writer, farrier, horsebreaker, showjumping trainer, mechanic, professional student (took me a looooong time to get a couple of degrees) shearer, environmental revegetation, etc.

Currently run a Guzzi Lemon 1000 which is gradually being reduced to its component bits as I delve into the 'bargain' I bought a few years ago.

Lovely things Guzzis, nearly as primitive as a shovel but prettier.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #511 on: January 20, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »

Fat

Balding

Director of Engineering at a PBS station

Married, (used to not be fat and balding) to a beautiful Kentuckian (filly, not a horse) 10 years my junior.  (I'm not stupid).  Kentucky women are the best.  They like to fight and are never wrong.  She balances our checkbook, homeschools our offspring, is a print journalist and puts up with a lot.  She also holds a higher degree and a greater earning potential than I do.  (I'm not stupid)

We're Catholic (she converted, I came back)

Two beautiful kids, girl & boy, 10 & 9, born in Memphis.  Love blues.  Older the better.

Officer in the Knights of Columbus (Told you I was Catholic)

Faith, family and then all the rest: Guitars, Guns, Motorcycles, old books (what I should have read in school rather than Cycle and Chilton's), old music.

Like to tinker with and rebuild old guitar amplifiers, love my Les Paul, Tele, Martin as much as my Guzzi and all of them more than "Smokey" my 93 year old Colt 1911.  Love the outdoors, I can see it from my deck or when the garage door is open.  Guess that makes me an expert in forestry policy.

Love Memphis.  Hated leaving but so goes life.  I can smoke some mean-assed ribs when John Lee Hooker is on the turntable.  Son prefers Steppenwolf but he's 9.  What does he know.

Hard Core Luddite which makes my communications career an interesting way to spend my life.  A conflicted soul, I'm a Gemini.  Twitter is for birds, Facebook is what happens when I read in bed at night, don't want to text when there are 373 emails in my Outlook inbox.  

Love to cook, I'm of Spanish descent so food is life.  If it has olives and saffron.

Onion, Garlic and Bell Peppers are the Holy Trinity.

Started riding at 12 in '70 on a cousin's Yamaha JT1.  Never stopped until we started a family then the LeMans and Cali got parked for about 5 years so I could be home for that critical early time.  Except that I bought a few early '70s Montesa Cotas (247s, 348s) and spent ALL my time in the garage restoring then riding AHRMA and regional Vintage Trials events.  Gorgeous bikes, wish I still had the Rathmell 348s.  

First noticed Guzzis while a teen living in Panama.  Saw my first burgundy Ambo or Eldo and never forgot it.  Fell in love with the '83 LeMans III but ended up buying my LeMans IV.

Motorcycles owned?  Not many.  Between '72 and today, pretty much in order '72 Hodaka 125 Wombat (kid), '73 Yamaha RT3 360 (teen), '76 Suzuki GT500 (college), '84 Kawasaki GPz750 (twenty something dumbass), '86 LeMans IV (almost 30), '81 V50 Monza (for girlfriend, still have), '89 BMW R100RT (bought in '93 while in Michigan), '93(?) Guzzi Cal III Touring (Givi bags, trunk, full fairing, bought in '95).  

Still have the LeMans and the Monza.

Guess that covers it.

Oh, yea, Long winded.

Cheers,

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:02:16 PM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

ponti_33609

« Reply #512 on: January 20, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »
for girlfriend, still have

Hi Tobit,

Nice intro .... one question.......your wife let's you keep the girlfriend?

:D :D :D

Bob

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #513 on: January 20, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
Almost.  GF was XGF for 3 years and the week before I married the XGF called out of the blue.  Quite a trick since I'd moved to different states, twice.  XGF heard I was getting married, don't know how and knew who future wife was.  All ok but hairy at the time.  XGF was nice, wife is better.  Monza is souvenir.

Cheers,
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #513 on: January 20, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »

PJQ

« Reply #514 on: January 20, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »
G'day from Melbourne in Oz.

Acquired a friend's 72 ex-copper Eldo after he bought a house and decided nine bikes wouldn't fit the shed or the new budget constraints.

What a sweet ride!
I've fallen in love with her - as you do - especially when she's dripping wet....

Oh yeah,  Peter Quick
just threw a leg over 50  (cripes what job that is).

Regs,
PJQ

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #515 on: January 20, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »
Greetings from a lurking luddite (never posted anything before, so bear with me).

Matt, 52, currently farming in southern New South Wales (that's a State in Aust) between a couple of insignficant places called Tarcutta and Adelong (sheep, cattle, native grass seed, 4000 acres) married with one professional student daughter. Employees - me, wife and 4 Kelpies (sheep dog breed) - I'm very much at the bottom of the pecking order with wife and dogs fighting it out at the top. Done a few things at the same time as farming - journalist, technical writer, farrier, horsebreaker, showjumping trainer, mechanic, professional student (took me a looooong time to get a couple of degrees) shearer, environmental revegetation, etc.

Currently run a Guzzi Lemon 1000 which is gradually being reduced to its component bits as I delve into the 'bargain' I bought a few years ago.

Lovely things Guzzis, nearly as primitive as a shovel but prettier.

Hi Matt, i grew up not that far from you in Griffith.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

wirebiter

« Reply #516 on: January 21, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
Hello,

Brian Roth living in Taunton, Massachusetts

39 (for the 4th time)

Electrical engineer for the Boston grid (now) after 20 years of absorbing neutons in Aircraft carriers for the Navy.

Married (to a wife who is wonderfully supporting of my need for motorcycling) with three kids.

I've been riding since I was 11 but always on Japanese bikes until I finally succumbed to lust for an Italian V-Twin and as of last September, now have an 08 1200 Sport.

Travel (especially of the adventurous kind on motorcyle) is my #1 hobby.  My crowning ride thus far has been a 4 month, 16,000some mile sojourn to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and back.

see:   http://anotheradventure39.spaces.live.com

I'm looking to ride the James Bay, QC road this summer which will complete my goal of visiting all the provinces and territories of Canada (as Hudson Bay is Nunavut).

The stable:

92 Kawi Concours
97 Kawi KLR650
05 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
08 MG 1200 Sport

Thanks to all on this forum that I've been gleaning info and ideas from!

isleter55

« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
A first gen boomer started the life at the same time as the Panhead.

Fascinated by the CB450’s racing DOHC when it came out, but the poor performance in Mile High city’s lean air and the lack of enjoyable low end torque lead to the departure from riding for a third of a century until a recent re-entry.  

Joined the board to look for solutions to remedy minor oil leakages and intake/exhaust leak from the right cylinder manifold/header during warm-up, the 1980 850T3 shows her age and wobbles somehow like her owner, hopefully a planned mid-life update will bring her liveliness back.

She’s getting the factory seat replaced by an old solo saddle to uncover her beautiful rear (shinny fender), removing the now inapposite rear grab bar requires loosening two bolts that secure the fender to the frame extensions, and putting them back without dropping the two Bakelite panniers out of alignment, not at all an easy task for a lone pensioner to wrench.<divclass="msgbox">Nofilesuploaded!</div>

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:31:13 PM by isleter55 »

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
  • 03 Cali EV, V 65 SP, 10 V7 Cafe
« Reply #518 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »
Wes Stephens, 67 years young, retired but used to be an electronics tech, Washburn, MO
<divclass="msgbox">Nofilesuploaded!</div>

punkrod

« Reply #519 on: February 23, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »
Another Wildgoose newb.
My name's Pieter, I live in San Diego. Been riding since the ripe age of 5. I have and had lotsa bikes over the years, mostly Harley's but also a few euro machines, (BMW, Triumph, Norton, Ducati). By day, I'm an electromechanical engineer and I wrench on bikes in the evenings and weekends.
I recently aquired this '72 Eldo. It does run but needs tuning / transmission / clutch work.

Guzzimundi

« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
pieter,

Welcome! Looks like you're gonna have some fun with that rebuild. Enjoy.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
I live in Elwood, Ks.  2 woods that don't float Natalie and Elwood.

I'll have to remember that one. I'm near Elwood, In.  :D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #522 on: February 28, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
Another Wildgoose newb.
My name's Pieter, I live in San Diego. Been riding since the ripe age of 5. I have and had lotsa bikes over the years, mostly Harley's but also a few euro machines, (BMW, Triumph, Norton, Ducati). By day, I'm an electromechanical engineer and I wrench on bikes in the evenings and weekends.
I recently aquired this '72 Eldo. It does run but needs tuning / transmission / clutch work.

This machine looks to be in more than capable hands.  Welcome to the madness. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

TT650

« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
I live in Elwood, Ks.  2 woods that don't float Natalie and Elwood.

I'll have to remember that one. I'm near Elwood, In.  :D

Just goes to show you that you should pay attention in school, I was under the impression that Elwood means an errection in spanish :)

ambassador dreamer

« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
Ok-
James Garcia
back in college for Diagnostic Medical Sonography,and out of work
Married to a wonderful wife!
have an awesome son-5yrs. old
Guitarist,played in a few bands- "Broomhellda" and when I was a kid played in a band in N.Y.C. called "Antidote"(hardcore/punk),and Shang HiFi, played tons of shows in the North East Coast- but didn't add up to much- except for having great times. Now, just glad my wife can deal w/me and enjoying watching and playing w/my son. Hopefully, graduate from college and get some work-then get a Guzzi of my dream.-(There are so many Guzzi's I love!) How's that for a short take!-LOL!
P.S.- I love this forum! Yes, I'm a Newbie(or maybe a "Wannabe"), but it has been so helpful in my learning about motorcycles and true therapy- when I get to see and hear all your stories and bikes. Thank you- everyone!

TT650

« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
Ohhps already posted and did not introduce myself.

Name: Rudy Muller
Location: Cary, IL but lived in a few different places (Switzerland untill 21, Canada, Quebec and Ontario untill 29, New York, New Jersey and now in Illionis since 1994.
Never married but got custody of my son (almost 9 years old) and do have one of those things that sit in the car next to you and make a lot of noise..... ummmmm yeah Girlfriend. (she gets made when I tell her that to :) )
Occupation: Machinist, tool and die maker, but in the last 2o some years all I did was install and repair machines in the packaging industry and sit on my rear in an office too much.

Hobbies: things I can do with my son, like BMX, Tae Kwon Do, love any kind of racingif it got wheels and makes noise I will watch. Camping especially at Road America.

My first "accident" on a motorcycle came about at the age of 4 month, my dad took me and mom for a ride in the sidecar and of course it was time to show of his driving skills to his first born. He popped the sidecar up in the air and mom was strangeling me. At 7 I got a little moped looking thingi that had a running motor, then a 50 cc bike with 10 and soon I borrowed some bikes from Dad when he was not home. He found out most of the time and he was a beliver that if you do wrong you get your butt spanked, as soon as my rear healed we tried again :)
The first bike I owned was a Zundapp 125 six days edition boy what a screamer that one was. Honda XL 125 and then had some Yamahas XT 600 and 660's, Yamaha FZR 600 in 91 my first new bike. When I moved to the US I sold that and soon after got myself a Ducati 900SS. Sold it 3 years ago and now will get a few older bikes from my dad, Guzzi TT650, a 72 Ducati 250 this is acctualy my sons bike. A Benelli 250 don't know the year all I know it hardly ever runs and when it does it goes really really fast. This will be a project for me and junior, we modify it to take to the track. And last but not least my dad's modified Universal with sidecar this is the bike he used to race with some 50 years ago.

Long story sorry.

Having a blast on here and look forward to get to know some of you better over the years :)

ambassador dreamer

« Reply #526 on: April 21, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Ohhps already posted and did not introduce myself.

Name: Rudy Muller
Location: Cary, IL but lived in a few different places (Switzerland untill 21, Canada, Quebec and Ontario untill 29, New York, New Jersey and now in Illionis since 1994.
Never married but got custody of my son (almost 9 years old) and do have one of those things that sit in the car next to you and make a lot of noise..... ummmmm yeah Girlfriend. (she gets made when I tell her that to :) )
Occupation: Machinist, tool and die maker, but in the last 2o some years all I did was install and repair machines in the packaging industry and sit on my rear in an office too much.

Hobbies: things I can do with my son, like BMX, Tae Kwon Do, love any kind of racingif it got wheels and makes noise I will watch. Camping especially at Road America.

My first "accident" on a motorcycle came about at the age of 4 month, my dad took me and mom for a ride in the sidecar and of course it was time to show of his driving skills to his first born. He popped the sidecar up in the air and mom was strangeling me. At 7 I got a little moped looking thingi that had a running motor, then a 50 cc bike with 10 and soon I borrowed some bikes from Dad when he was not home. He found out most of the time and he was a beliver that if you do wrong you get your butt spanked, as soon as my rear healed we tried again :)
The first bike I owned was a Zundapp 125 six days edition boy what a screamer that one was. Honda XL 125 and then had some Yamahas XT 600 and 660's, Yamaha FZR 600 in 91 my first new bike. When I moved to the US I sold that and soon after got myself a Ducati 900SS. Sold it 3 years ago and now will get a few older bikes from my dad, Guzzi TT650, a 72 Ducati 250 this is acctualy my sons bike. A Benelli 250 don't know the year all I know it hardly ever runs and when it does it goes really really fast. This will be a project for me and junior, we modify it to take to the track. And last but not least my dad's modified Universal with sidecar this is the bike he used to race with some 50 years ago.

Long story sorry.

Having a blast on here and look forward to get to know some of you better over the years :)

Sorry Rudy- I'm not much of a computer tech,I had to quote you.  I have to compliment your bike in the picture you posted! WOW!!! A beautiful example of great design!

Offline Sack

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #527 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »
Hi everyone!

I've been riding for 45 of my 56 years and I just can't shake it! Not that I want to. Was looking for a new bike, hadn't initially thought of a Guzzi but somehow happened upon them. After hearing of the prices of NOS and taking a test ride the hook was set.

I'm enjoying my Norge very much and have brought the wife back into riding with me some. While the kids were home it was too dangerous of an activity for her. But with the encouragement of riding couples we know she's getting more used to the idea. Hoping to plan some weekend ride-aways when time allows.

I work at a hospital here in the Seattle area and have found this board very helpful in getting to know my Guzzi better.

Ciao!
'08 Norge and (mint) 1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor

Stone(r)

« Reply #528 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
What's hapnin everyone?    T. Jay here... 33, Pipefitter, Hoboken NJ (Birthplace of Frank Sinatra and Baseball)  Also, I ride a 2003 Cali Stone

Lucretia

« Reply #529 on: April 22, 2010, 01:11:44 AM »
Lorne Paidel, Regina Saskatchewan.
59 yrs and retired. I'm on my second Guzzi.  First was  "Lucretia", 2000 Cali Sp. I fell in love with it at first sight, in February, in the middle of a winter storm.  Bought it then and there. Alas, we parted ways, literally, on a large patch of spilled oil.  I recovered, she didn't.  I found a 2007 Cal Vin with 15000 kms in Toronto and had it shipped here last October. I miss the valve sounds of the Cali Sp but love the updated engine on Cal Vin. This, by the way was the only Cal Vin registered in Saskatchewan! I am glad to see I'm not the only person to go crazy over Guzzi.

Offline wildebube

• Gosling
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
I’ve been here for a while but never wrote an intro – so here goes:

Lee Norman – 54 – computer geek.  I like to say Wills Point, TX because that’s the closest town, but I’m really somewhere southeast of Elmo.

I started riding in the summer of 1970 on a brand spanking new  Kawasaki Bushmaster 90, other known as a G3TR.  It wasn’t mine, but it might as well have been.  From there I went to a borrowed Bultaco Pursang 125.  My first bike was a Maico 360 that I bought in Germany in the spring of ’74.  It was there in Germany that I first became interested in Moto Guzzi and BMW.  I moved back to the States in ’74 and started riding on the street on a ’72 Honda CB350.  I went through several Japanese bikes while I was dropping in and out of college, but finally decided to go euro once I graduated and had a real job.  At that time I was looking at a BMW R65LS and a V50 Lemans.  I ended up with the BMW.  I liked the V50, but had never seen one in the flesh.  The R65LS was sitting on the showroom floor calling to me.  That got me into the BMW thing. 

The R65LS gave way to an R80ST, then an R100GS/PD, then an R1100RS.  I liked the RS, but somewhere along the way, motorcycling had stopped being fun.  I thought long and hard about giving up riding.  I wasn’t enjoying it and I really wasn’t riding much at all.  I finally sat myself down and gave myself a good talking to.  I tried to think about what it was that had made it fun in the past and why it wasn’t fun now.  I came to the conclusion that I just had more fun on bikes that were smaller, lighter, and simpler.  So I sold the RS and started looking.

I looked at a lot of bikes, but when all was said and done, my choice came down to a BMW F650CS and a Breva – the 750 was the only one at the time.  The BMW was butt ugly, but exceptionally practical for commuting and riding around the local area.  One cylinder, light, clean, and simple belt drive, ABS, great mileage, cheap to insure, and being a BMW, familiar.  The Breva, to my eyes, was absolutely gorgeous and sounded great.  The test rides were short and didn’t convince me either way, so it ended up being a head vs. heart decision.  Back then Moto Guzzi had only been going out of business for 80 years, and just before being acquired by Aprilia, they were on the ropes again.  I loved the Breva, but decided that the BMW was the smarter choice.

Mechanically, I liked the F650, but the fugly looks never grew on me.  I kept it for not quite two years and traded it on an F650GS Dakar.  In many ways the Dakar was the best bike I’ve ever owned, but last summer I found myself looking again.  The Dakar was tall enough that I was beginning to have trouble swinging my creaky leg over it and was really uncomfortable stopping on unlevel ground.  I wanted something more comfortable and capable in west Texas where the speed limit is 80mph and the prevailing speed is faster than that.

A quick glance at the BMW lineup, and I decided that the next bike would definitely be a Guzzi.  Then it was just the small block vs. big block decision.  My previous experience with BMW made me think that the V7C was probably what I would like the best, but I was simply in love with the 1200 Sport.  Since this is already so long, I won’t go into the whole process.  I just decided to go with the one that was tugging on my heart strings.  I still wonder if I wouldn’t have been just as happy, or even happier with the V7C .  But I love the 1200 Sport.  What I really need is enough space and money for the 1200 Sport AND a V7C.
Lee Norman
2016 V7 II Special

Offline wildebube

• Gosling
« Reply #531 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
Oh yeah, there's something else I should mention.  My brother-in-law liked my Guzzi so much that he went Guzzi shopping too.  He traded his '08 KLR 650 and bought a NOS '07 Griso.
Lee Norman
2016 V7 II Special

jklotz

« Reply #532 on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
Very interesting thread! That's one of the things I love about bikes - the diversity of the people who they seem to bring together.

James Klotz
Atlanta, GA
Single, but long term GF

I'm a professional architectural photographer www.jamesklotz.com. I also teach photography ay a local college.

Been into bikes for all of my adult life (father hates them, or I would have had them as a kid too). Owned upwards of 20+ bikes in my time, but never a Guzzi. I am currently in the process of buying a Stelvio, hopefully by next week. My other bikes are an 08' KTM Superduke, 08' BMW K1200S and an 08' KTM 990 ADV (which I'll be selling shortly to finance the Guzzi ;)  ) I try to keep the stable at 3, although it's not always easy...

Biggest accomplishment on a bike: riding from Atlanta to Terra del Fuego (the end of South America) solo. Awesome trip! 16K miles on a GS.

I've got a greyhound who is a rescue from the race tracks. He's a good boy.

Other hobbies include brewing beer, guns (although I've never pointed a gun at another living being in my life), photography (obviously) and travel. Past hobbies have included caving, racing bicycles (road), mountain biking, playing guitar and music recording.

Texpatriate

« Reply #533 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »
Joshua Michael Cheek
propmaster in West Hollywood
I work on a great show for ABC called Castle, which means that I have very little free time. I live with my wonderful girlfriend and our dog, Tony, and cat, Lulu. I own a Vespa GTS250 & and a '06 MINI Cooper JCW. I'm about to have two months off between seasons, so I'm planning on buying my first real motorcycle, which happens to be a V7 Cafe Classic. So, I'll be using you guys for advice real soon.  ;-T  

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
  • Where words fail, music speaks. H. C. Andersen
    • Moto Guzzi Lario Fan Site
« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2010, 01:04:40 AM »
Welcome on board, Joshua!

The V7C belongs to a class of Guzzi's that will put a smile on your face, hard to get rid of ;-T
Search the site, and you'll know. We have quite a few enthused V7C owners on the board.
This bike is a true head turner too :o

Isn't she beautiful ::)

Saluti
Copenhagen Denmark - http://www.facebook.com/motoguzzilario

750 Targa - long legged younger sister of the Lario
V65 Lario - Short legged total brat
V65 Lario - Silver Streak
V35C - Smallest Guzzi cruiser
V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

ambassador dreamer

« Reply #535 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »
Hey Iceblue! That bike looks Hot!!!

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2010, 01:13:50 AM »
Unfortunately not mine - I wish it was though :-\

Ciao

V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2010, 07:47:07 AM »
I haven't see this thread before either so.....

Glen Johnson
age       53
likes      fishing, hunting, guns, genealogy, and travel

I worked for Louisiana Department of Transportation as a draftsman and lab tech for about a year, then worked at Howard Brothers for 10 years in store management before they went bankrupt, then 2 years as receiving manager for Super Saver Wholesale (bankrupt), then to Old America Stores for 10 years in management before they went bankrupt, a couple of years with Office Max, then quit, their management operation was not for me, retail was changing.

landed a job at a chemical plant here in Louisiana.  Wife went back to LSU to get her degree in '98, BS and then Masters, daughter started LSU in '00, got her BS and Master's, son started in '01 and got his BS. Me, I had about 60 hours of college credit, 2 years of trade school as draftsman, and a job that I didn't care for, and work experience in a field that I come to despise.  Somewhere along the way I decided I need to get a degree, so in '02 I started LSU part-time and began working night shifts at the plant.  Now, 8 years later, l am scheduled to graduate this May.....

First two wheeler was a Briggs and Stratton mini bike that got abused and wrecked many, many times.  At 17 bought a one year old '73 Kawasaki 175 enduro, then moved on to an assortment of two stroke dirt bikes from 90cc-250cc all Japanese.  

1978 bought my first street bike, new '78 Honda 400 Hawk, kept 2 years
1980 bought new another 400 Honda Hawk, sold too many problems
1982 bought a new leftover '80 Honda Ft 500 single, kept this one for 12 years.  My favorite up to now

Had two kids, and decided that it was time to do family stuff, so sold the FT and didn't return until '07 when I bought the Breva.  Both kids had graduated and left the nest, although the boy kept coming back.  Anyway, I had started a motorcycle fund several years back, and I would work an extra shift from time to time and put that money in the fund.  

Then one day, and a new shop opened up, they sold Vespa's, Aprilla's, and Moto Guzzi's.  So I stop in to see.  I had seen a Guzzi years ago (73-74) in a shop and really liked the look of them, but way out of my reach during my early years.  There it sat, a red Breva 750, only Guzzi they had.  I threw a leg over it, and I knew this is what I wanted, but bigger.

So, I found this site, called a few shops and MPH had a black 1100 leftover.  Called Mike @ MPH on a Friday, talked to wife when she got home, called Mike back on Saturday and gave him deposit.  Picked up bike on December 8 or so, day after finals at LSU.  

Even though I have concerns about the long term viability of Moto Guzzi, shaft drive and the electonics on the Breva, when the motor starts all the concerns leave.  It is like I am transported to a place where it is just me and bike, no other problems can intrude.  I will probably have this one for a long, long time.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #538 on: May 01, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »

It is like I am transported to a place where it is just me and bike, no other problems can intrude.  I will probably have this one for a long, long time.

Old Head

You know it Old Head ;-T ;-T ;-T

Good to get to know you ;)
We share a few interests - Guzzi, Genealogy and travel. (Just home from Egypt - with 4 additional days extension to the trip - Volcano in Iceland)
I spent "2 years" in central Florida from '77 to '79 (not too far from Louisiana)

Ciao

V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
iceblue,

I have only been to Spain, Mexico, and Italy so far.  I have been to most of the states except Oregon, the Northeastern states.  We have been thinking of going to South Africa this summer, but it probably won't happen as I really need to go back to work in my new profession.

My Dodge needs a new paint job, and new carpet and such, its 18 years old and 230k, it needs some cosmetic attention.  Same for the boat, needs new carpet, and seats.  Lots of little projects that have been put on hold the last 2 years due to school.

I really haven't done much on my family history in awhile, too busy.  I have had some information published in a book by a noted genealogist in Alabama, Floyd Johnson's JOHNSON Family History.  It seems my genealogy had a start somewhere in Norway at some point, many many years ago before coming to Scotland.  I haven't found any direct links yet, but the information seems to indicate this, probably never know for sure in this lifetime.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here