Author Topic: Sometimes it all lines up just perfectly.  (Read 7560 times)

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Sometimes it all lines up just perfectly.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 01:10:48 PM »
Don't know what its like in Taupo Kev but it's pretty quiet here. I heard a Harley rumbling in the distance earlier today.  We live just off one of the gateways in to Chch and there is just no traffic.  Dead. Deserted.

I felt quite envious of Huzo's ride.  I normally shoot up to Golden Bay on the bike for Easter but it ain't happening this year. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeh it's a bugger for sure, not being able to ride makes you want to do it more 😁.
Pretty quiet here too, last Sunday my wife and I drove to Turangi to collect groceries we'd ordered online. The local supermarkets were booked out for delivery or collection so we drove 45 mins each way for them.
It was great to get out for a drive, bugger all traffic, we were stopped once by a friendly policeman who wanted to know where we were off to. He was happy once we explained.

I did the trip down to see my family just on a month ago and enjoyed the ride muchly. It was Mangaweka day so a good excuse for a ride, also gumboot day in Taihape which I didn't attend. Roy's son Paul and his wife were in NZED at the time and met us all there which was nice. They were sweating  bit about getting home but caught their scheduled flight back with airnz so all good.

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 01:53:23 PM »
Huzo,
Great write up!  I sure want to take a ride like that here...it is now raining and cold again so I will wait until next week to fire up the Griso and head out to the coast...
As an old Cowboy told me once, "the windshield is bigger than the mirror...".  So true especially on a motorcycle or on the back of a horse!
Tony C

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2020, 02:32:20 PM »
Thanks Tony.
I’m doing some catch up stuff on the Norge and getting the V85 ready for when I can leave for Cape York.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
In answer to some of the responses to this thread and others regarding the impact the - 19 has had on us..
There’s been a lot of comments like..
“Planned to do a ride to ......, but that’s gone.“
Or
“I would HAVE loved to have done something like that”
Or
“Reminds me of when I used to....” (that’s the dangerous one).
I can hear Joni Mitchell’s words..
“Don’t it always seem to go
That you don’t know what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone..”
Well guys it’s gone, far enough to lament lost or discarded opportunities to do that “bucket list” thing but unlike the movie that spawned the term..?
We will get a reprieve..
When this has passed and the window of opportunity opens again, don’t just sniff the air that comes through, remember the emotion you felt when it was taken from you and grab the opportunity with both hands. If you have a desire to fulfill, prepare for it now and strike at the first opportunity.

The apple that’s just out of reach is the sweetest..When you can again reach it, break it off and take a bite...
Having almost lost it, it’ll taste better than ever..
I see this confinement as a time for introspection, we’ve been given a brief look at what the end of our bike life will be like, but not had it forcibly and permanently thrust upon us....Yet.. :clock:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:32:01 PM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
Sorry Huzo. Peter Egan - American motojournalist. There is a great collection of his pieces called “Leanings.”
I’d like to read that if there was an “r” between the “a” and the “n”..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2020, 04:46:30 AM »
Huzo,
Would that I could live in your world.   :bike-037: 

Image courtesy of https://blog.brothermoto.com/post/165828469512/somewhere-in-the-redwoods-we-set-up-a-tent-near-a
You do..
It’s just easy to learn to forget it...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Sometimes it all just lines up perfectly.
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
WOW, Thank you!  What a great offer!  Now I am missing Australia even more!  Thanks again and stay safe!
Tony
I mean it mate..
You can take it for a time when you get here..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2021, 03:59:12 AM »
Instead of starting another thread, I thought I’d paste my comments on this one. Because today has been such a model of perfection that I cannot imagine how it could be improved.
I decided on a whim to head over to see Lovey on the East Coast of Australia. I decided at 11:00 am and was gone by midday.
It’s about 750k and a nice mix of “just get there” freeway and kangaroo infested mountain roads.
But the last 100 k was 21 degrees, sun directly behind and a road that just “looked grippy”...
The gold of the setting sun behind me threw a sharply defined shadow that was absolutely pointing directly ahead and as I eased into the huge sweepers at 140 k, the image swung away from us as we escaped it.
The road was beautifully smooth, you know, no shine from tyre scrubbing, open sweepers that you can see for a kilometre ahead and excellent visibility each side of the road.
I’ve mentioned before that the Norge has a liquid feel to it’s power delivery, it’s like it has velvet pistons and rubber con rods.
There is a relentless aspect to it’s reaction when you roll on at the bottom of a valley, as the bike is thrown forward with the speedo needle just sweeping around the face and the Staintune barking at the Australian scenery as you climb out the other side.
The Norge just never says no to me, whatever I ask for it does.

Best bike I have EVER owned.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 04:53:27 AM by Huzo »

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2021, 06:33:22 AM »
Bring it on Brother Huzo! Yes..

BTDT. Nothing, absolutely effing nothing beats a predawn 6000 rpm!

Amen.

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »
And...sometimes it doesn’t..
My last post was all about extolling the virtues of my Norge and everything in that post still applies..Mostly.
Although she has very few marks for her age, I’m reminded of a remark I heard from a reporter at the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in Sydney.....
“The cracks are beginning to show...”
At my first stop about 200 k into the trip, I thought I heard a slight rattling sound on trailing throttle but it disappeared immediately with a touch of gas.
However, by the end of the second day, I knew there was trouble afoot because the noise was becoming an issue. I was coming back up Clyde mountain which is about 100 k East of Pete Roper’s place, so I stopped there at day’s end. It turns  out Pete was near the Queensland/NSW border on his way home with a new purchase and indicated that he would not be able to look at the bike until Wednesday...Hmmmmm.
Then I thought I could take it to Michael who works with Pete and my suspicions were confirmed..
The retaining nut on the pinion shaft had unwound somewhat and was allowing the pinion to thrash around with predictable results.
Being the man he is, Michael dragged an almost new CARC unit out from stock and we bolted it on for the 800 k ride home and he will repair my original.
No charge...!
Try getting that gesture anywhere else.. :bow: :bow:
Do you think anyone will notice..?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:41:14 AM by Huzo »

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 08:06:07 AM »
Sounds like Good People.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »
About 450
I had to fly to Sydney,  then take the train  towards Canberra to visit Pete!!🤣🤣🤣🤣
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
Knowing how you don't care for that stuff to be painted, it will likely bug you more than anybody else. :evil:

John Henry
That’s funny... :laugh:

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »
For me, the magic will find you if you just keep putting yourself out there, sometimes completely unexpectedly.

Well put.  I’m a firm believer in that proposition.  You need to be open to the magic.  If you are, it will arrive. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »

Try getting that gesture anywhere else.. :bow: :bow:

You guzzi riders in Oz have been blessed with a variety of things, Pete and Michael's competence, right at the top of the list.

Tks for pulling this old post out, made for a great read, you capture the magical moments perfectly  :bow:
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:51 PM »
I’m glad it worked out Huzo.  Please keep posting, especially about Australia.  The details are what really awaken the place to us foreigners. 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:30 PM »
I’m glad it worked out Huzo.  Please keep posting, especially about Australia.  The details are what really awaken the place to us foreigners.
Thank you Scout..
I will keep posting if it’s worth reading. My upcoming trip on the Honda will be packed full of meaty goodness, I will attempt to break it down into bite size digestible chunks.
Things are a bit quiet on that front at present, because I have bugger all left to do other than have my operation and wait for July 1.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2021, 11:00:48 PM »
    You guzzi riders in Oz have been blessed with a variety of things, Pete and Michael's competence, right at the top of the list.

Tks for pulling this old post out, made for a great read, you capture the magical moments perfectly  :bow:
One of the beaut things about living here, is that in the middle of winter on June 22, it is only about 3 hrs North to go from 8 degree Celsius max. to 20 or so and relatively dry.
The rate at which the weather improves is dramatic as you move in that direction.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:31:18 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2021, 10:05:08 PM »
When you say SOMETIMES it lines up perfectly, I guess the unspoken implication is that by definition SOMETIMES it doesn’t..
Here is an example of a well cared for 190,000 km Norge GTL pinion that lost it’s pre load.

I wonder if that contributed to the raspy sound in the rear end..(the bike’s not mine....)
There is a budding young mechanic in Bungendore wielding his magic as I type this. I knew I wasn’t imagining it...!

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2021, 10:18:41 PM »
The rear drive, otherwise known as the final frontier of Moto Guzzi repair. Even my Haynes manual says do not attempt to understand them.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:42 AM »
The rear drive, otherwise known as the final frontier of Moto Guzzi repair. Even my Haynes manual says do not attempt to understand them.
Touche’...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2021, 06:04:50 AM »
Have you ever looked at something (or someone) that you have spent a lot of time with and mused at the prospect that, if just one little detail was different it wouldn’t be all bad ?
Well here’s the thing..
Glossing over the options available with regard to repairing my Norge bevel box, I came up with only three realistic ones. A new one Pete says runs at about three grand and a (claimed) low k’s one on e bay about AUD 1,300.
Or Pete will pull mine to bits and keep what’s ok and restore it back to his standards with a combination of new parts and good condition used bits where applicable.
From a purely mechanical viewpoint, I think the PRoper way to go is for Pete or Michael to put the hours into it to their satisfaction.
Just buying a brand new one seems a bit heartless after the time we’ve been together, a bit like leaving your wife because she needs a new hip. Tossing the old one away seems sad.
Then there’s the option of getting an unknown quantity off ebay that may never have had good oil in it’s life. After all, if I’d crashed my Norge 2 weeks ago and was selling it for parts, anyone who wanted the “good” bevelbox would have needed to part with $1,000 and what would have happened one week later ?
So the analogy is, dumping your wife after a tiff and taking on a new girl on Tinder, because the two of you have never had a fight. That’s because you haven’t been together long enough to know each other..
The third and most attractive option is to give the broken piece the attention it needs, because it only laid down after carrying you the equivalent of five and a half times around the world. The analogy here is that you appreciate the effort that has been made for you and your wife will be treated by the most eminent Professor available to most.
The cases of mine are undamaged, so the boys will load them full of parts and expertise.
The new bevelbox will represent a nice balance of the emotional attachment that comes with history and the freshness of youth.
Surely a metaphor, for the perfect relationship if ever there was..
After the lads have nursed it back, I fully expect to be more enamoured than ever. As I said a week or so back, my Norge never says no to me, I’ll not say so to her...
As Pete said to Michael...
“Stand back Nurse, I’m going in for a look...”
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 06:10:27 AM by Huzo »

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2021, 07:31:25 AM »
You getting a shop to fix it? Is it the Guzzi man in Brisbane or Perth?

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2021, 08:45:51 AM »

:huh:   :laugh:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 01:09:57 AM »

Sounds like it's the Guzzi man in Bunged End. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 04:04:54 AM »
:huh:   :laugh:
I didn’t even know he existed.
There is only one place for me on mechanical stuff that’s over my head and that’s Michael and Pete’s.
Beetle for maps.
There’s no reason for me to change..(and I won’t..)

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 04:49:27 AM »
https://newellmotorcycles.com.au/

https://www.thunderbikes.com.au/shop/6-new-bikes

Widen your horizons, these blokes have been around a long time and are highly respected.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 05:22:04 AM »

Widen your horizons, these blokes have been around a long time and are highly respected.
No mate.
I don’t care if Carlo Guzzi himself turns up in a corporate jet owned by Piaggio with a new CARC under his arm..
Pete and Michael are there for me and I am with them.
If I had any doubts I would consider it, but I don’t. I rolled up to Motomada and Michael let me use his shop to immediately swap an as new CARC into my Norge and off I went. That CARC is Roper’s cherished private property and he let me bolt it in and ride 900 km...(respect..trust...).
You cannot buy that sort of thing for the price of a brand new bevelbox. I am happy and for me that’s all that matters.
“Mechanic shopping” is everyone’s right and privilege, but why would I even consider it.
Here’s the thing, if anyone can give me ONE...! reason why I should pull my shagged bevelbox away from Michael to explore an alternative I’ll do it, but no one can because there isn’t one.
It’s my command decision and I have made it and could not be more at ease.
Having Michael’s articulate fingers and/or Roper’s greasy paws inside my original cherished bevelbox has only served to enhance it’s worth.
Most of the guys in the ‘States or Europe on WG, would give their left testicle to be able to just rock up and have these blokes take over..
Leave it to me... :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:23:35 AM by Huzo »

Offline v85lover

• New Egg
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2021, 03:22:19 AM »

What would be the point of changing when He's already came across perfection? ie peter

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2021, 04:20:09 AM »
You tell a good story Huzo and you have reminded me of a great ride I once had, between Glen Innes and Grafton. The thrill of the early morning chill has stayed with me all these years. Thank you very much :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here