Author Topic: String Trimmers  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
String Trimmers
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
Well Kim's (not like I would use such things) '90s Stihl string trimmer's tank leaks and the line feed no longer works, so I guess I'll get her a new one for her birthday  :evil:

Anyone have any experience with the newer battery types?  Have they caught up to or maybe even replaced the Stihl's if only doing residential duty?

The price of the Ego 15" is about the same as the bottom rung gas Stihl, and they weight about the same.  At some point you save a little bit with electricity vs gas, but Li batteries can be a bugger over time.  Just trying to figure out if it's an upgrade or not.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: String Trimmers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
4th year with my Black and Decker battery powered unit.  Have 2 acres, several trees and a long drive.  Use it regularly.  Well worth the price.  On when needed, off when not.  No mess, pulling, cussing or mixing fuel. 

Buy the blower also. 

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
If you have Dewalt 20V tools, they have a string trimmer that uses the same battery.

I have it and have used it with a 2 amp battery for my small yard. I did get a 4 amp for it and can also do my neighbors for them. Recommended is a 5 amp for anything more than trimming around trees and fences.

Check prices, usually about $120 Without Battery.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:23:35 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »
Fix the Stihl?
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
I dumped my string cutting heads decades ago, I found them to be a major pita and a constant source of frustration.

I use one of the triple bladed grass cutters (looks like a propeller).

You have to file the cutting edge every now and then, but it always works when you need it.

fwiw, good luck

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
I have been using a Ryobi string trimmer and it's been fine, not expensive(guzzi content)and the batteries are the same in all of their products, so I can use them in the blower and the trim nail gun.

And I've kept the gas powered trimmer though it hasn't been started in a year.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
I got a Ryobi string trimmer, reciprocating saw, drill, impact drill, circular saw, even a floodlight. All use the same battery. All work well.

Find a good brand with a good LiIon battery that can swapped and stick with it (as in, not Black & Decker and not nicad batteries. :rolleyes: ).
I can just walk out in the yard with that reciprocating saw, cut off some branches or whatever. Plug that battery in the string trimmer and trim up the yard (jungle). Go in and use the same battery in the circular saw or drill for other things. Very convenient.

Not, it is not as powerful as gasoline types, but no more farting with oil and gas and spark plugs is worth it in my case.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 02:54:27 PM »
I doubt if an electric would work for me.    One day's string trimmer work usually involves 2 or 3 tanks of fuel and a few feet of string.    Sort of like an electric car thing; for my application, it probably wouldn't hold up long enough.

And since I've started using 90 octane stabilized nonethanol fuel in all the farm and yard equipment, the varnish, clogging, stale fuel, and fouled plugs are a thing of the past .... so there's that hassle gone.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
I have a new Stihl battery powered chain saw and it is nothing short of awesome.  It has a 14 inch bar and goes through 12 inch logs like butter.  I still have the larger saw for bigger duty, but a solid majority of my work is cutting less than 12 inches and the battery saw is my go to choice.  The batteries are not cheap, but it will run for 45 minutes and takes 45 to charge, so if you have two you can cut all day long switching back and forth (my truck has an electric socket so I can charge in the field).  Stihl also makes weed eaters and blowers that run on the same battery, so as my Stihl equipment needs replacing, I will be slowly converting over to battery.  They have a pretty neat backpack that holds the trimmer battery so the trimmer is a pretty light unit - you carry the battery weight with your back so it is very easy to use.  I've tried one out, but have two functioning gas trimmers, so I don't need a third just yet.  And Lannis - I also use 90 octane non-ethanol fuel in all my power equipment, and have had far less carb and fouling issues since switching over. 
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 04:19:10 PM »
String theory is like Staintunes to me.
They’ve both got me baffled..!

stormshearon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »
I have an older Ryobi eletric trimmer that I use to edge the lawn and take care of weeds. For anything serious (black berries), I get out the Stihl trimmer with the nylon blade kit.

LesP

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »
I have a EGO mower (non self propelled) hedge trimmer, 13 inch weed wacker/line trimmer and chainsaw, all purchased late 2017.

The line trimmer works fine on a domestic property and its ready to go in seconds (slot the battery in)
The mower is fine but they do not like grass that is anything but dry and some heavy grass will stall them even if patches of.

The USA is not Australia but here is the catch.
The mower cost $600 (US$360 on the current rate)..The battery is still good but does not last as long as when new 2 or so years ago and to me is in a light duty situation for the most part. (mowing/ edge trimming)

Googling just now returns, $349 (US$209) for a 5.0 AH and $449 (US$269) for the 7.5 AH battery.
In other words a new higher AH battery (one day) will cost near as much as the mower and more than the other items (I have one battery @ 4.0 AH)

The blurb says the batteries have a 10 year life span but I doubt that based on my experience (New it was mow and trim at least 3 times per charge that I recall)

Would I buy electric (EGO) again, yes for the convenience, famous last words until I need a new battery.

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 04:56:43 PM »
Stihl battery products are all first class plus as would be expected. Same (but expensive) batt powers them all so once you bite that bullet you can get the hand held blower,saw etc.
The ego are very good an if price did matter and for u it shouldn't it would be the way to go.
Think Stihl $15 cigar, ego $8. Others $3.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »
I've got a light leaf blower for the patio, and a battery hedge trimmer, but I think the rest will have to stay IC.

Battery life is a issue...
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 06:02:11 PM »
I'll stick with Stihl when this one bites the dust, I'll get a straight shaft, I'll win the war on grass
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 06:38:35 PM »
I do the RYOBI 18V one battery fits all the tools.  :thumb:  I don't have a weed wacker though.  Trying to get a wild goat off the highway for that. :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »
I bought a black n decker string trimmer seven years ago. Have never had any problems with the batteries.still on the original string.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 09:58:00 PM »
I planned on buying a Stihl chainsaw and weed wacker from a local bike shop dealer.  Due to the new world order, the bike shop is temporarily closed.  Rual King is still open.  The idea of a smaller electric chain saw and a big cc ICE chainsaw would works for the yard project I am working on.  Skip the weed wacker.  Didn't know Stihl had electric. 

Is the premix fuel worth the cost or buy 90 Octane and mix my own like others said? 

2,4,d works great along with woody plant killer.  Toxic though, gives me diarrhea after exposure. 

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 07:26:42 AM »
Well you guys have convinced me that I'm going try the Ego.  Looks like the battery life is the rub, but  Wayne's theory that you store storing Li batteries 1/2 full might give me an edge. 

I'm going to keep that Stihl just in case!  I've been doctoring on the leaky tank and we can at least feed the string manually...

:thumb:
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 08:11:53 AM »
I use town dump specials. 'Cause they're free (Guzzi content). Usually the only things wrong with them is old gas, gunky carbs, and rotted fuel lines.  Have a Stihl string trimmer presently, works great. Have a Toro with a gear head, so I can use blades for the heavier stuff. Plus, the dump has a great return policy...
Stay well,
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 08:25:14 AM »
Is the premix fuel worth the cost or buy 90 Octane and mix my own like others said?

I can only speak for the Stihl brand but be aware that the cheaper brands have caused engine failure in the higher quality products namely chain saws. Most likely because of junk 2 cycle oil they use.

Stihls premixed in a can is not gasoline. It is a chemical based product with Stihls regular engine oil in it. It has a 5 year shelf life unopened and 2 after opening. it is the hot set up for products that are rarely used or stored for a long time. Cheap insurance.
Second best is the 90 octane non-ethanol boat gas mixed with good oil. you still should change it out at 3 to a max of 6 months and run the product at the same time with new gas. Startron and or marine stabil should also be added.
I have a Honda 2000 generator that sits until I remember to switch out the fuel and run it. even with the abome treated 90 with out the 2 cycle of course the low speed jet plugs up by 6 months. so far running it on choke (only way it will run) for 1/2 hour and letting it sit over night has cleared it up. the jet is so tiny it's ridiculous.

IF! You have been successful with out doing this you have been just plain lucky! Continue at your own risk.

L-196, L-197

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 09:02:12 AM »
I bought a Stihl 18 inch 43cc chainsaw yesterday.  It came with a micro anti kickback chain.  The kick back feature allowed the say to make saw dust and not chips.  The original chain lasted about 10 minutes or until I hit a concrete slap.  The second chain lasted 2 tanks of fuel and then would not cut.  The third chain is still in the box and is going back to the store for a refund.

My ignorance did not pay attention to what I was buying.  I told the salesman to give me two extra chains.  $30 each. 

Getting ready to head out and buy some chains that will make chips, not dust.  Any recommendations? No anti kick back chains for me. 

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »
Chisel tooth.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
I bought a Stihl 18 inch 43cc chainsaw yesterday.  It came with a micro anti kickback chain.  The kick back feature allowed the say to make saw dust and not chips.  The original chain lasted about 10 minutes or until I hit a concrete slap.  The second chain lasted 2 tanks of fuel and then would not cut.  The third chain is still in the box and is going back to the store for a refund.

My ignorance did not pay attention to what I was buying.  I told the salesman to give me two extra chains.  $30 each. 

Getting ready to head out and buy some chains that will make chips, not dust.  Any recommendations? No anti kick back chains for me.

Why not just sharpen them? I hit steel fence posts, concrete, barbed wire, rocks, et all the time with my saw. I just re-grind 'em. You can buy a nice sharpener for $80-$100.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
Why not just sharpen them? I hit steel fence posts, concrete, barbed wire, rocks, et all the time with my saw. I just re-grind 'em. You can buy a nice sharpener for $80-$100.

What he said. They all make chips when sharp. The antikickback just make slightly smaller chips. As soon as you hit dirt or anything harder the blade is dull. Avoid cutting branches when they lay right on the ground. Stihl blades are decent quality. I can usually cut about 4-5 40 foot trees up before having to sharpen the chain if I don't hit the ground.

Pete

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
I do mine with a two dollar file. You can also file down the rakers to mike chips instead of dust. I also say chisel tooth. They cut very fast.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
I've got a collection of jigs, files,depth gauges etc, but upgrading to the new https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/ was the best thing I ever did to make sure that my Stihl saws, consistently throw good chips.

It sounds like you have plenty of quality dull chains, if it were me, I'd invest in a good sharpener, and wear those chains out first, "then" invest in new style chains to your liking.

fwiw ymmv

good luck

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »
I do mine with a two dollar file. You can also file down the rakers to mike chips instead of dust. I also say chisel tooth. They cut very fast.
kk

Hand files work too. I just lose mine. A grinder bolted down to the bench is much harder to lose.  :laugh:

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2020, 03:15:53 PM »

I prefer the Oregon non-kickback chains, that's what I run on my 18 inch Stihl.  They last twice as long (before sharpening) and are about $16, so far cheaper than the Stihl chains.  I bought the Stihl all-in-one sharpening kit and (use a bench vise to hold the bar) makes sharpening a breeze. 
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
that's a newfangled version of a filing device that's been around for over 40 years. best thing you can get.
all co's make non kickback chain. some dealers just don't know that and don't understand chain. if you got a 017 / 018 get the plain 61 pm chain with no numbers after it other than the drive link count. example 61pm-55, or 26 rs-68 if it's a 025 series the 26 rs or RM without numbers. Stihl is a far better chain brand and the price will be basically the same you just need to go to a real dealer.
L-196, L-197

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here