Author Topic: eldorado foot pegs or floorboards with proper gearbox cover  (Read 507 times)

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
eldorado foot pegs or floorboards with proper gearbox cover
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
the bike came with surfboard style floorboards.  im looking for either factory pegs or factory floorboards.  the setup I have uses the extra casing thats on the gearbox cover.  I have a spare transmission that does not have that extra casing.  is there anyway to use pegs or floorboards without that area for the shift pivot rod to seat in?  why can't I find the correct parts online anywhere? 

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: eldorado foot pegs or floorboards with proper gearbox cover
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:40:15 AM »
If you find the factory floorboards (good luck with that) then whatever transmission you use doesn't need the "extra casing". Otherwise, it (or some sort of fabricated bracket) is necessary to support the inner end of the shift shaft.
Charlie

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
factory floor boards are that hard to find?  are those the only shifters that doesn't need the casing to support the shifter shaft?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
factory floor boards are that hard to find?  are those the only shifters that doesn't need the casing to support the shifter shaft?

Yes, because just about every Looper is looking for them (except me). Can be quite expensive when you do find them. If you can find the lower rails, the rest can be improvised (Convert pedals and 'boards, V50 arm, bits and pieces from McMaster-Carr). Mark Etheridge likely has some/most? of it.

AFAIK, the factory 'board setup is on the only one that doesn't need the extra casting to support the shift shaft. Triple A, DB, Bates, etc. all utilized it for their linkages.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:33:42 PM »
You could always replace the rear cover on the later transmission, with one from an Eldo. I *think* that I have a spare in my stash here. May have some 'pegs as well.
Charlie

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »
Or if I can get the cover off of this one with the rounded nut. I’m going to order a 27 and 26mm deep impact and give it a go. I can rebuild it at my leisure then if all goes well. Thx

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »
Or if I can get the cover off of this one with the rounded nut. I’m going to order a 27 and 26mm deep impact and give it a go. I can rebuild it at my leisure then if all goes well. Thx

Given how much the shaft moves in and out, I doubt the nut is very tight or maybe not even tight at all. I ground a small punch with a taper on the tip and use it to bend the peen(s) out before removing those nuts. If you do that, the nut might only be finger tight.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here