Author Topic: V7 / V9 Ignition Switch  (Read 850 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
V7 / V9 Ignition Switch
« on: April 06, 2021, 01:10:34 AM »
I took the time today to pull the ignition switch off my V7 Special, There was nothing wrong with it but I'm sure this is an item that will need visiting as the miles get high.
Why, for one thing the wires are very short, constant bending will cause the copper conductors to snap eventually. If you are for-warned it won't be too dramatic because you can easily bypass the switch to get you home.
These switches have been used on Guzzis for at least 20 years that I know of, over the years the wires breaking has been a problem on older bikes.
                              Click on any picture to zoom in

It would be pretty difficult to remove the switch c/w the lock because its held on with security bolts, you can see one of these broken off in the picture.
luckily the switch part is just held on with two Philips screws around back, use the screwdriver that came with the bike to remove these.
You can best remove these with the bike on full left lock, access the screws from the RH side.
I removed the headlight to give you a better picture, The forth picture is just the screws.

Three views of the switch, Note the "T" shaped coupling that matches the lock.
The third picture shows how really short the wires are, they run under a restraint on the LH side of the headstock.

Prise the back off by pushing down on one of the 3 catches then tilt the back out, Luigi even put dots of yellow paint on the two wires. Quite often you will find one of the wires has been bending right at the solder joint and broken.
(The solder joint is the weak spot, the wires really should be captive where they exit the back of the switch)
Remove the switch plate by releasing the odd one of the 3 clips.
Only one of the copper contacts is used, the other could be regarded as a spare.
Showing the spring loaded balls that define the switch positions.
You can clean out the old grease and replace it with fresh Vaseline
The switch will only go back together in one way, just line up the two ribs inside the barrel with the cutout in the parts, then you can test the switch using your Guzzi screwdriver.
If the switch won't fit back on the lock part you may need to rotate the contact plate by 180 degrees then it will slip right on.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:37:55 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 / V9 Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »
Wait! You got a screwdriver with yours!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:04:11 PM »
Used to be able to get the switch base with the contacts and and a short harness. Joe Eish used to stock them after I showed him. It is after all a “wear” part and he liked to have any parts on hand that would stop someone on a bike trip. Great guy, miss him...
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:21 AM »
Used to be able to get the switch base with the contacts and and a short harness. Joe Eish used to stock them after I showed him. It is after all a “wear” part and he liked to have any parts on hand that would stop someone on a bike trip. Great guy, miss him...
It wouldn't be a bad thing to carry as a spare in case the wires break. If you look at a schematic you will see the switch just connects two groups of fuses together, a short length of wire could do that just as well, any sort of a switch under the seat.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:21 AM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here