Author Topic: V7 ii Scrambler - Whining from Gearbox?  (Read 983 times)

Offline deeveeance

• New Egg
V7 ii Scrambler - Whining from Gearbox?
« on: April 26, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »
Hey all, been lurking the forums for a couple months now, and a week ago I purchased a 2016 V7 ii Scrambler w/ a little over 16k mi.

I was looking at some other contenders like a Triumph Thruxton, Ducati Scrambler, Yamaha XSR900, but a local dealer had this gal just sitting there for some time. I had originally been looking at the V7 iii Night Pack or the Blacked out Stone, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Before I get ahead of myself, little about me: 6' 5" @ ~260lbs, been riding on and off since I was a teen, but this is my first bike I've purchased on my own, from a dealer.

Located in Portland, OR, the only Moto Guzzi dealer in the area closed up shop due to -, so I'm stuck to 3 dealerships for maintenance.

The Bike - It had several mods on it that I found were not stock:

Different/higher bars
K-Tech Razor adjustable rear suspension
Mosko exhaust heat shields
Baak starter cover
tail tidy w/ LED rear (unknown model)
rear rack (will look at brand/model later)
Motogadget button LED turn signals x4
engine skid plate
Baak side panel covers
Newer black valve covers
fuel injector covers taken from a Racer model

Onto the nitty gritty:

I'm getting back into the swing of things, but when under load, there is a noticeable whine coming from what I suspect is the gearbox. Most notably when ~4k RPM, at highway speeds or revving to speed up in the city.

I took it back to the original dealership where I purchased, and they said it was the most likely the exhaust, but to come back in if I still notice after a while or gets worse since the bike had been sitting there, and I'm "newer." Fair enough.

Is this something that's common?

The last bike I rode daily was a Yamaha SR500 that was souped up in a pseudo-cafe racer style, but was sold off due to moving around the country.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7 ii Scrambler - Whining from Gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:00:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Don't be afraid to plug your locale into your profile--it can aid in the community providing tips for you regionally.

This 'whine' you speak of - Is it definitely mechanical? Do you have any Guzzi folks who live near you that could listen or compare to theirs? I know when I switched over to a Guzzi, it was my first bike with a dry clutch, so I had to get used to THAT sound, but I wouldn't call that a 'whine". Besides the dry clutch, I also usually hear a "whir", but I never really paid attention to if that might be tires or something else.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:08:51 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline deeveeance

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »
This 'whine' you speak of - Is it definitely mechanical? Do you have any Guzzi folks who love near you that could listen or compare to theirs? I know when I switched over to a Guzzi, it was my first bike with a dry clutch, so I had to get used to THAT sound, but I wouldn't call that a 'whine". I think I usually hear a "whir", but I never really paid attention to if that might be tires or something else.

That's definitely what I hear, like its "gearing up" and more high pitched than something from the exhaust. Is it more noticeable at specific RPMs? Anything to help, calm it down a bit? haha

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »
Can't say for sure but it sounds like it is from the straight cut gears in gearbox or as it is called in the US transmission. Nothing to worry about. My V7lll does it too. Others have wondered about it too.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »
Yeah, my V7III whines too.
During the first test ride I feared the bike was defective, but the other V7III I rode and finally my own had it too.
I hope some more V7II owners share their knowledge too.

And a special welcome to you!
So the 'young modern V7 rider' apparently does exist! :D

Maybe you would like to post a picture of your Scrambler? It sounds very nice looking with all those lovely Baak parts on it!

Cheers,
D.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:22:10 PM by Dimitri_Harkov »
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline deeveeance

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »

During the first test ride I feared the bike was defective, but the other V7III I rode and finally my own had it too.
I hope some more V7II owners share their knowledge too.

And a special welcome to you!
So the 'young modern V7 rider' apparently does exist! :D

Maybe you would like to post a picture of your Scrambler? It sounds very nice looking with all those lovely Baak parts on it!

Cheers,
D.

We do exist! I've been trying to get my hands on a used Moto Guzzi over here in Portland for a while now, but since - hit there were some large speedbumps along the way  :wink:

Since I got it a week and change ago, I've already gone through two tanks just getting used to it, and trying my best to get ready for any maintenance or preemptive things to do.

My next undertaking will be a drop-in LED headlamp upgrade, most likely the JWS Motodemic "Adaptive" if it goes on sale, OR just spring for the new 2021 V7 Stone "halo" headlamp. After that, I don't really need to do much since the previous owner babied this ride, with scheduled service and all.

Oh, thoughts on the K&N Air Filter?

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:55:51 PM »
I see it’s also rocking the cylinder head guards and raised front mudguard bracket, both by 70tre/Unit Garage.

A K&N filter is fine for most vehicles, just gotta make sure you clean it out every service interval that you’d otherwise replace it if it were OEM.

It MIGHT even give you a TINY thrust in HP. I have one just because I’d rather save on constantly buying a new one.

Re: LED headlamp - by all means, buy what you want, but if you’re simply looking to go LED instead of halogen, there are some inexpensive LED bulbs that work fine. There’s one that I have that’s also been recommended on here by a few others... always forget which one it is, though. Probably available for less than $25 and is brighter than the halogen. I’m a fan, though I do miss me the nostalgia of warm lighting. More soothing for the eyes and soul.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:44:31 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline deeveeance

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:17 PM »
I see it’s also rocking the cylinder head guards and raised front mudguard bracket, both by 70tre/Unit Garage.

---

Re: LED headlamp - by ll means, buy what you want, but if you’re simply looking to go LED instead of halogen, there are some inexpensive LED bulbs that work fine. There’s one that I have that’s also been recommended on here by a few others... always forget which one it is, though. Probably available for less than $25 and is brighter than the halogen. I’m a fan, though I do miss me the nostalgia of warm lighting. More soothing for the eyes and soul.

THANK you, I've been trying to figure out where these other parts are from, so I can have an accurate replacement route ready.

As for the LED lights, the only reason I want to upgrade the enture housing is because the bulb in the current headlamp is already LED, but the housing itself isn't really "LED Ready" so it just shines all over the place without a care for oncoming traffic or those in front of me. I'd like to not blind other drivers, if I can avoid it, haha

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 03:57:08 PM »
I’m always perplexed at the incompetence of some “dealers”.
The first thing I would have asked you, or tested for is..
Does the pitch of the whine stay the same when you change gear ? Everything aft of the gearbox stays at the same RPM at the moment you grab another cog. The rear drive is spinning at the same rate at 50 mph in 4th gear as it is in 5th.
If the pitch alters as you select another gear, it is forward from the gearbox input. Having just lunched a rear CARC in a Norge, I can tell you with some authority that the preceding is the case... :grin:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:19:41 PM by Huzo »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
Mine as well, sometimes I hardly notice it, other times it seems very loud, I tried different oil combinations with no effect.

72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 07:28:28 PM »
My V7ii transmission whines, is normal. Welcome!
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 12:16:51 AM »
deeveeance

My 2016 Stone has almost 20k miles on it and runs like its  just now broke-in.    Part of the now broke-in feeling is the winn coming out of the rear drive .   It' loose enough to run "free" of rolling resistance and so it sings a happy song !   Embrace it and enjoy ! ... or put some thick oil in it to bring some resistance back to it ... ?     
You know what ... maybe we both should check our rear end fluid ?   :undecided:

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:18:11 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 11:42:21 AM »
That gear whine identifies your 'late' era v7. I'm highly po'd, after many evaluations, that Guzzi seems to add gear noise, as if no one cares. I still have a few MG's; none of them whine in any gear, except the v7 3R. Damned tacky and truly disappointing - more so having been in business 100 yrs. 
    Ear plugs work on wind noise, but not on gear noise? What's widdat? - - it's easily heard over the stock exhaust by those walking by.   
    The only answer is; 'They all do that'. It's been proven to me.  R3~

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »
. maybe we both should check our rear end fluid ?   :undecided:
Check the bike’s as well... :popcorn:
BTW..
Are you sure it’s the bevelbox ?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:34:23 PM by Huzo »

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »
Man you whiners should try out a V700 with a police fairing and a set of the early fine pitch timing gears, not to mention the 4 Spd. gear box!  DonG  :boozing:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here