Author Topic: Convert ?  (Read 991 times)

Offline zamram

• New Egg
Convert ?
« on: August 24, 2021, 08:23:34 PM »
I'm a new owner of a 78 Convert.
Question for you Convert riders. Do you pull in the clutch while sitting at a long traffic light or just hold on the brake?

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Convert ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:20:14 PM »
No in all capital letters no you only pull the clutch in if your bike still has the interlock switches on the cables  to start or your shifting from low range too high if your shifting from low range to high you can do it right at the traffic light let the clutch out and sit there the bike will take off in high range if you have to shift from low range to high range do it before 40 miles an hour and do it slowly I have a convert I know what I'm talking about enjoy it it's a great ride

TOMB
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:46:49 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 02:50:34 AM »
Lower the idle…I could just keep it stopped w my feet

TOMB had to slap me upside before I stopped looking/searching/trying to use the clutch

My experience when shifting ranges at a stop was to pull the clutch, then wait..

When you feel the pressure on the driveline release and no forward urge thru your feet, shift ranges.

Kinda like a riding mower… :grin:

You win slow races by adding throttle and braking at the same time..

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline jkguzzi

• Gosling
    • JKnorth
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »
When I got my Convert the clutch basket was already notched from misuse so it didn't release. Idle was low enough to use my feet to hold it at stops. And I never used low range, maybe once by mistake. High range gave me more than adequate performance.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 05:26:33 AM »
I was told to never shift on the fly, if I'm around town I leave it in 1st. If I'm going hwy speeds I'll start out in 2nd. The only time I use the clutch is to start it and then forget about it and enjoy the ride  :boozing:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline zamram

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 06:02:22 AM »
Okay thanks for all your input.
I'm a slow learner. After all the years it's soooooo hard not to grab the clutch.
The gentleman that I bought it from (Guzzi John or NC john) said that also. Never touch the clutch after starting and never ever shift on the fly.
It seems that from what you all are saying is that you change from high to low or low to high with the engine running at a stop.
Do all the Converts have the center stand on the right side or just the LAPD bikes ? Talk about hard to do from the left side.
Thanks Steve

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 06:41:38 AM »
The center stand tab on the left was probably taken or broke off. Get you toe under the curved part of the stand and work it from the left side, you don't need the tab then.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 06:53:16 AM »
You don’t even need the motor running

Before you start it, pick your range ..chunk it into the range you want before the starter

I loved lo range for everything except coasting down the interstate

Id Shift at a stop light, or pulled over at an entrance ramp

If you hurry it, it’ll sound crunchy

Yes the centerstand can a be a trouble, but less so when you use momentum toward the rear, and less lifting up at the seat…right toe inside the curl of the stand….AND your left hand pulling rearward…and your right leg pushing rearward..stick your tongue out..less lifting w your right  hand and more momentum aft…

Haven’t heard of centerstand tangs on the right side…unless the left one has broken off..one on each side that you use to lower it, but toe goes inside the curl creating friction on the ground while you roll backwards

I remember the outside of my lower right leg pushing the passenger peg aft also

Turns into a quick pop up onto the stand. If you’re straining to lift your off track. Roll rearward and pop up w momentum not strength
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »
I've heard you're not supposed to pull in the clutch at a stop, and I don't do it. Just wondering why.

Rich A

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »
You dont pull in the clutch at a stop because its not required to do so, there is a torque convertor in the driveline.  DonG

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »
You dont pull in the clutch at a stop because its not required to do so, there is a torque convertor in the driveline.  DonG

I live in Santa Fe, NM at 7000 ft. I haven't re-jetted the carbs on my Convert, so the bike runs rich even with the mixture screw out 2.5 turns, and idle is a little low even with the idle speed screws almost all the way in. The bike will stall at a stop unless I give it a little gas. That is easy enough to do.

I've ordered a new set of jets and will do a carb refresh, but I was just wondering what if any damage would be done by pulling in the clutch rather than giving it gas.

Rich A
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:30:33 PM by Rich A »

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 10:03:52 PM »
Sounds just like the Fluid Drive that Chrysler used in the late 40s and early 50's. Not speedy but nice to drive. I have an opportunity to ride one of these in the future. I'm looking forward to it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 10:14:06 PM »
-
-
-
  What are some of the other explanations?

Thanks David  :thumb:
As a new Convert owner I'm following this thread closely.
Tell me what id the state of your trike these days? I remember seeing it at the John Day National.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:17:20 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »

This is a very timely thread and as a second year Convert novice, I find the comments very helpful. 

Appreciate it.

I certainly do not want to do harm to the clutch basket on my Convert so I will practice Not pulling the lever in.

You guys are great.

Thanks,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »
The only thing i'd add: Rotate the clutch lever so that the handlebar blocks it from your line of sight while sitting astride the bike.  If you can't see the clutch lever it helps block the motor impulse to grab it.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 09:42:21 PM »
The only thing i'd add: Rotate the clutch lever so that the handlebar blocks it from your line of sight while sitting astride the bike.  If you can't see the clutch lever it helps block the motor impulse to grab it.
or just remove it.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 09:53:30 PM »
Sounds just like the Fluid Drive that Chrysler used in the late 40s and early 50's. Not speedy but nice to drive. I have an opportunity to ride one of these in the future. I'm looking forward to it.
kk

I think it is. My first road car was a ‘48 Dodge with a “ Fluid Drive “ transmission. It was a standard three speed with a clutch you didn’t have to use but could. It had a torque converter and you could drive it as an automatic. It was ok but not what I thought was desirable at the time.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here