Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia lower abdominal Bike ergo questions  (Read 3612 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Inguinal Hernia lower abdominal Bike ergo questions
« on: January 18, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »
This getting old ain't for wimps; I hate to start discussions here that I should save for social hour at the nursing home, but I'm confident that some of the knowledgeable people here have faced this issue and may be able to offer some insight, what works, what doesn't, what helps, what hurts etc.

My guts have felt "off" for a month or two and after noticing a definite lump in my lower right groin area, I went to the doctor, where he diagnosed a hernia, I have imaging catscan? (edit Ultrasound) booked for next week and have been researching, core strengthening, self help stuff etc.

Many times I've read Chuck talk about increasing core strength to ride some of the lean forward styled bikes, I understand it NOW.

Here's the horn of my dilemma; I've picked up a V11 Lemans,I did a 15-20 kms trial ride in the fall and the ergos weren't bad, I'm excited about getting the bike going on the road and I think with MPH risers my neck should be all right.

But this latest hernia diagnosis is causing some serious doubts, if I exercise and get my core in better shape by spring and hop on the V11 Lemans with it's forward riding position and everything goes well, bonus.

But if I exercise my core and get on the V11 Lemans and aggravate the hernia to the point I can't ride at all on any bike, I will be seriously pissed.

Has anyone here had experience with this type of hernia and the pros and cons of different bikes and ergos, ie sitting straight up, leaning a little back a little forward?

I'd love to hear some voices of experience BEFORE I go nuts working on the V11 Lemans and putting it on the road.

Tia

Kelly
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:33:48 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
Re: Inguinal Hernia lower abdominal Bike ergo questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
Just get the surgery. Have had the procedure done on both sides now, I'm just lucky I guess, and it's fine after it heals in a few weeks. Not sure why you'd need a cat scan. It's a simple diagnosis and the surgery's not that difficult. The longer you wait, the more likely there's complications. Good luck.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
I assume your hernia is "reducible", or the loop of intestine goes back into the abdominal cavity where it belongs, and only "pops out" at times. If thats the case, and its small, you may be able to get by for a while by strengthening the muscles in the area. There are different "hernia garments" that put pressure on the area to help keep things in place, that may help. As far as riding position, I think the V 11 sport's sport touring ergos will be fine for you. Much better than a foot forward riding position, like a cruiser has. The surgical repair isnt too bad at all, especially if done laparoscopically, but unfortunately they do re occur sometimes, and thats where I think strengthening the muscles plays an important part long term.

Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »
Get the operation. You'll be glad you did.

My operation was done at the VA .

One day of rest , then light
 duty stuff , second day resumed my daily walks etc.

Hardest thing  was trying to get the glue off that was used to close the opening for surgery , and some slight swelling.

My Umbilical Hernia was much worse.

Two weeks of trying to get back to moving , going to the bathroom , and hoping you didn't have too sneeze.

After the Umbilical Hernia operation you will understand what a woman goes through after having a Cesarean section

GET THE OPERATION ,you'll be glad you did.

TOMB
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:47:15 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
Just get the surgery. Have had the procedure done on both sides now, I'm just lucky I guess, and it's fine after it heals in a few weeks. Not sure why you'd need a cat scan. It's a simple diagnosis and the surgery's not that difficult. The longer you wait, the more likely there's complications. Good luck.

Same here - both sides and had “mesh procedure”.  After one week I was helping my daughter and son inlaw move.  No big deal...

Mark

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
Same here - both sides and had “mesh procedure”.  After one week I was helping my daughter and son inlaw move.  No big deal...

Mark

Ya, get it.. I had this also..  And I cant go as far to say I was good to go in a week...  It wasnt that bad after a few days..  I had bad swelling of.. "senstive bits" though...  But really... Hernia's dont fix themselves..  its not going away. Just get it fixed, and start healing.
Paul B

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »

TOMB

THIS

Due to meds I was on I developed two in quick succession. The second one was large and very close to the scrotum.  A couple of times I had great difficulty popping it back in and the pain was getting worrying.  I had the same surgeon for each.  He used mesh both times and I have had absolutely no ill effects.

Absolutely no problems on the bike.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »
I assume your hernia is "reducible", or the loop of intestine goes back into the abdominal cavity where it belongs, and only "pops out" at times. If thats the case, and its small, you may be able to get by for a while by strengthening the muscles in the area. There are different "hernia garments" that put pressure on the area to help keep things in place, that may help. As far as riding position, I think the V 11 sport's sport touring ergos will be fine for you. Much better than a foot forward riding position, like a cruiser has. The surgical repair isnt too bad at all, especially if done laparoscopically, but unfortunately they do re occur sometimes, and thats where I think strengthening the muscles plays an important part long term.

Rick.

Yes at this point, if I lay down and press things back into place and just from the few minor ab exercises sucking in my gut, I can feel an improvement already.

I'm not in pain yet, I just don't want to be doing stuff that will hurt not help.

Interesting on your thoughts about the feet forward being worse, I definitely like a leaning forward riding position, but a hernia has never been part of the equation before,lol.

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »

Re the "Cat scan", I might have the wrong term, they referred me for imaging, I assumed Cat scan, but maybe it's something else "Ultra Sound"?, I'll find out Monday.

Thanks for the feedback on the surgery, I'm learning it's a pretty common procedure.

Tks

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »
Get the operation. You'll be glad you did.

My operation was done at the VA .

One day of rest , then light
 duty stuff , second day resumed my daily walks etc.

Hardest thing  was trying to get the glue off that was used to close the opening for surgery , and some slight swelling.

My Umbilical Hernia was much worse.

Two weeks of trying to get back to moving , going to the bathroom , and hoping you didn't have too sneeze.

After the Umbilical Hernia operation you will understand what a woman goes through after having a Cesarean section

TOMB

Tks for the feedback re the different procedures

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »

Mark

Hey Mark, Tks for the feedback on the procedures.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
Ya, get it.. I had this also..  And I cant go as far to say I was good to go in a week...  It wasnt that bad after a few days..  I had bad swelling of.. "senstive bits" though...  But really... Hernia's dont fix themselves..  its not going away. Just get it fixed, and start healing.

Tks for the feedback on your experience.

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 03:09:54 PM »
THIS

Due to meds I was on I developed two in quick succession. The second one was large and very close to the scrotum.  A couple of times I had great difficulty popping it back in and the pain was getting worrying.  I had the same surgeon for each.  He used mesh both times and I have had absolutely no ill effects.

Absolutely no problems on the bike.

Tks for the feedback, glad to hear it's not affecting your riding

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
80CX100

"I'm not in pain yet"

Until you are.

Don't wait to long , siting an old proverb "a stitch in time saves nine ".

Its up to you but i would go for the less invasive route and get the smaller repair.

I'm not a doctor but how it was explained to me----You don't want your intestine to come through the abdominal wall and get infected and

require a much more invasive surgery to repair .

Get taken care of!

TOMB
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:03:47 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »
80CX100

"I'm not in pain yet"

Until you are.

Don't wait to long , siting an old proverb "a stitch in time saves nine ".

Its up to you but i would go for the less invasive route and get the smaller repair.

I'm not a doctor but how it was explained to me----You don't want your intestine to come through the abdominal wall and get infected and

require a much more invasive surgery to repair .

Get taken care of!

TOMB

Hey Tomb,   Tks for taking the time to expand on this.

I haven't actually talked to my own doctor yet; it was an after hours clinic I had gone to, and they made the referral for the imaging.

I should have a better idea where I stand next week.

Tks

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
Had mine repaired 40 years ago.  Old school, 6 inch scar and mesh.  Everything was great, Doctor said take a week off from work and relax.  Sounded like a great plan.  Decided to go fishing one afternoon that week.  Stepped in a hole along the lake side, fell to the ground and laid in the weeds for a hour getting over the pain from the ripping stitches.   Healed and have never had an issue since. 

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 08:30:55 PM »
The only repair for hernia is surgery.  As others have mentioned, don't wait and make a relatively small problem turn into a big one.  After surgery you can concentrate on healing and improving core strength.  Doing any kind of abdominal strengthening now before you see your MD would not be advised.  Could very easily make the situation worse.  Worrying about bike riding position is about # 3 or 4 on your what is most important list.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »
  I had bad swelling of.. "senstive bits" though...
Hmmm..
I’d have been tempted to sling him a lazy $100 and ask him if he could..
“Remove the pain and leave the swelling..”.. :wink: :thumb:

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 08:58:19 PM »
Re the "Cat scan", I might have the wrong term, they referred me for imaging, I assumed Cat scan, but maybe it's something else "Ultra Sound"?, I'll find out Monday.

Thanks for the feedback on the surgery, I'm learning it's a pretty common procedure.

Tks

Kelly

Yeah it's probably an ultra sound. They do that now a days to confirm it. When I had the first hernia, twenty years ago, they sent me to the emergency room, pronounced it a hernia, and the Dr referred me to a surgeon. For the 2nd one, last year, went to clinic and the Dr sent me for the ultra sound, then they referred me to a surgeon. When I asked the surgeon about it, she kind of laughed, "it's an obvious hernia, but they do that to be safe." So I guess it's just a cover your ass kind of thing, the clinic Dr didn't want to take the responsibility so pushed it off to the radiology Dr to make the call. And we wonder why health care costs so much.

As to healing, I think they recommend 3-4 weeks of limited activity before lifting anything heavy. When I asked about it, they said it's because it takes time for the tissue to grow into the mesh and make it strong enough to handle stress. The stitches only hold it in place until your body bonds itself to it. And for me, they said it'd likely be 6-8 weeks, cause "you're not a kid anymore." They really know how to make you feel better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:06:37 PM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 01:15:19 AM »
A hernia is not an old age thing it can happen anytime, I had mine 20 years ago.
I was as for as a buck rat back then running 50k per week.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 02:17:58 AM »
80CX100

"I'm not in pain yet"

Until you are.

TOMB

I will say that my wife was at the emergency clinic when they diagnosed the second one and showed me how to "pop it back".  Even then it wasn't always obliging and they said to us "if you can't get it back it will strangulate and you have about two hours before the intestine dies and then you will be in serious schtook.  Great when some of my out-of-town trips took about that time to get back home.  Embarrassing lying on ones back at the side of the road with feet in the air feverishly groping my groin trying to stuff my guts back in! :embarrassed:

Get the op!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 03:34:06 AM »
I had this very op. on the run up to Xmas.  And as someone who's never had any medical treatment (or even attended hospital) in my life, I hadn't a clue what to expect.  In the event, it was a routine affair.  Attend hospital at around noon, and leave again at around 5pm the same day.  No issues at all.

Just lie on the trolley and relax; and the next thing you know you're awake again in the recovery room (..without any recall of actually waking up!) - and feeling, if anything, a tad euphoric.  I had full awareness instantly, and no problems walking thereafter.

You'll be sore for two-weeks, and the area directly around the wound will likely retain fluid and swell.  In my case, the main body of swelling disappeared over a two day period during the third week, leaving only the (extensive) bruising/swelling to my nether-regions.

It's now five weeks since the op., all has returned to normal, and I've largely forgotten there's even a mesh in there.  There are no ugly 'stitch' marks along the (4") wound (..all stitches are internal): it's simply a straight red line on my skin that's barely noticeable now and I'm sure will all but disappear in a few weeks.

I'd lived with the hernia for many years (..suffering pain, mainly with the build-up of heat under my m'cycle leathers) but I'm now wondering why I put off treatment!

Steve             

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 06:44:29 AM »
This getting old ain't for wimps; I hate to start discussions here that I should save for social hour at the nursing home, but I'm confident that some of the knowledgeable people here have faced this issue and may be able to offer some insight, what works, what doesn't, what helps, what hurts etc.

My guts have felt "off" for a month or two and after noticing a definite lump in my lower right groin area, I went to the doctor, where he diagnosed a hernia, I have imaging catscan? booked for next week and have been researching, core strengthening, self help stuff etc.

Many times I've read Chuck talk about increasing core strength to ride some of the lean forward styled bikes, I understand it NOW.

Here's the horn of my dilemma; I've picked up a V11 Lemans,I did a 15-20 kms trial ride in the fall and the ergos weren't bad, I'm excited about getting the bike going on the road and I think with MPH risers my neck should be all right.

But this latest hernia diagnosis is causing some serious doubts, if I exercise and get my core in better shape by spring and hop on the V11 Lemans with it's forward riding position and everything goes well, bonus.

But if I exercise my core and get on the V11 Lemans and aggravate the hernia to the point I can't ride at all on any bike, I will be seriously pissed.

Has anyone here had experience with this type of hernia and the pros and cons of different bikes and ergos, ie sitting straight up, leaning a little back a little forward?

I'd love to hear some voices of experience BEFORE I go nuts working on the V11 Lemans and putting it on the road.

Tia

Kelly

Get the surgery and don't worry.  I had both the inguinial and umbilical done at the same time.  The recovery process was not even memorable.  I think no lifting over 20 pounds for a couple weeks.  I was in my late 30's and in excellent shape.  So I don't think age is a factor.

IIRC, the best place in the world to have your hernia fixed is in Ontario, Canada.  Don't recall the name of the facility.  US Senator Rand Paul recently went there to have his fixed.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 06:45:09 AM »
A hernia is not an old age thing it can happen anytime, I had mine 20 years ago.
I was as for as a buck rat back then running 50k per week.
Hey Roy

I made that old age comment out of frustration with some of the other challenges I've been facing as well; but you're right from what I've read there can be a genetic predisposition for them.

If  memory is correct, I'm almost certain my son was born with this type of hernia which is apparently not an overly rare occurrence and he had corrective surgery shortly after birth, so it would appear that genetically I'm a natural candidate.

Funny you mention running at that time, I used to be a hard core hockey player, from the little reading I've done so far, it seems that certain sports or training exercises can cause issues finding the weakness in the abdominal wall if there is one.

Tks

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 06:51:50 AM »
Had mine repaired 40 years ago.  Old school, 6 inch scar and mesh.  Everything was great, Doctor said take a week off from work and relax.  Sounded like a great plan.  Decided to go fishing one afternoon that week.  Stepped in a hole along the lake side, fell to the ground and laid in the weeds for a hour getting over the pain from the ripping stitches.   Healed and have never had an issue since.

Omg, John, that hurt just reading about it, ouch!

I'm already walking around quite gingerly, but l'll make a mental note to take extra care if I go fishing lol.

Tks for sharing your experience

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 07:09:37 AM »
The only repair for hernia is surgery.  As others have mentioned, don't wait and make a relatively small problem turn into a big one.  After surgery you can concentrate on healing and improving core strength.  Doing any kind of abdominal strengthening now before you see your MD would not be advised.  Could very easily make the situation worse.  Worrying about bike riding position is about # 3 or 4 on your what is most important list.

We're all different facing different challenges, my bikes and the joy and focus they bring to my life, help keep me in the game, living and breathing;

I have to make a decision on what I'm doing with the V11 Lemans now, if I want to have parts in hand and have that bike ready to ride come spring time, that's what has brought the riding position question up to the top of the list for me.

I've always been a "patient heal thyself" mindset kind of guy, hospitals and surgeons would be my option of last resort, if I have to go down that road.

There were many other health issues at play, but I had a friend pass away as a result of complications from a minor hernia surgery. He developed a post op infection, turned septic, and that was the final chapter of his life; so it's not a slam dunk easy decision for me that I would make lightly.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience

Kelly
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:39:10 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 07:18:38 AM »
I will say that my wife was at the emergency clinic when they diagnosed the second one and showed me how to "pop it back".  Even then it wasn't always obliging and they said to us "if you can't get it back it will strangulate and you have about two hours before the intestine dies and then you will be in serious schtook.  Great when some of my out-of-town trips took about that time to get back home.  Embarrassing lying on ones back at the side of the road with feet in the air feverishly groping my groin trying to stuff my guts back in! :embarrassed:

Get the op!

Hey Muzz,    From the sensations in my guts, I think I've been down this road you're describing. When I saw the Doctor and he pushed things back into place and I did some simple exercises, I could almost feel the tingling inside as the blood flow reestablished itself.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 07:30:21 AM »
What about all the lawyer ads on tv about mesh failures?

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 07:31:15 AM »
I had this very op. on the run up to Xmas.  And as someone who's never had any medical treatment (or even attended hospital) in my life, I hadn't a clue what to expect.  In the event, it was a routine affair.  Attend hospital at around noon, and leave again at around 5pm the same day.  No issues at all.

Just lie on the trolley and relax; and the next thing you know you're awake again in the recovery room (..without any recall of actually waking up!) - and feeling, if anything, a tad euphoric.  I had full awareness instantly, and no problems walking thereafter.

You'll be sore for two-weeks, and the area directly around the wound will likely retain fluid and swell.  In my case, the main body of swelling disappeared over a two day period during the third week, leaving only the (extensive) bruising/swelling to my nether-regions.

It's now five weeks since the op., all has returned to normal, and I've largely forgotten there's even a mesh in there.  There are no ugly 'stitch' marks along the (4") wound (..all stitches are internal): it's simply a straight red line on my skin that's barely noticeable now and I'm sure will all but disappear in a few weeks.

I'd lived with the hernia for many years (..suffering pain, mainly with the build-up of heat under my m'cycle leathers) but I'm now wondering why I put off treatment!

Steve             

Hey Steve,    It's funny you mention Christmas, in hindsight, I think that eating waayyy too much food over the holidays may have been a catalyst to bring this up to the surface now; but I'm thinking I might have had this issue for a while and not realized it.

I've had circulation issues in my right leg for a number of years, that's the same side the hernia popped out, so there's been some unusual movement and pressure internally for a while, probably for a lot longer than I realized.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 08:04:18 AM »
Get the surgery and don't worry.  I had both the inguinial and umbilical done at the same time.  The recovery process was not even memorable.  I think no lifting over 20 pounds for a couple weeks.  I was in my late 30's and in excellent shape.  So I don't think age is a factor.

IIRC, the best place in the world to have your hernia fixed is in Ontario, Canada.  Don't recall the name of the facility.  US Senator Rand Paul recently went there to have his fixed.

Well it's comforting to know that my home province is at the top of the game at something,, it most definitely isn't when it comes to Guzzi dealers,lol. That's reassuring to hear.

Thanks very much for sharing your insight and experience and especially the information in regards to Senator Rand; from that I was able to get info re the Shouldice repair, which I had never heard of until now.

I'll definitely be informing myself further on this, I copied a link over in case anyone else happens to stumble across this thread and is looking for further information.

https://www.stonybrookmedicine.edu/patientcare/surgery/patient-care/clinical/general-surgery/patient-education/faqs-about-the-shouldice-hernia-repair

Tks

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here