Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia lower abdominal Bike ergo questions  (Read 3621 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Inguinal Hernia lower abdominal Bike ergo questions
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 08:46:24 AM »
What about all the lawyer ads on tv about mesh failures?

At this point I'm just learning about different options and game plans, so I couldn't be of much help in any discussion, but at first glance it doesn't appear to be a simple black and white clear cut issue.

I followed up on Sir Real Ed's post re Senator Rand Paul coming to Ontario Canada for his hernia operation at the Shouldice Health Facility? They and possibly others are skilled in the Shouldice method of repair without using mesh.

This link has some of the info fyi https://www.stonybrookmedicine.edu/patientcare/surgery/patient-care/clinical/general-surgery/patient-education/faqs-about-the-shouldice-hernia-repair

tks

Kelly
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:35:57 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »
Been there, done that.  Couple times.  Why would you NOT get this done?  And, soon? 

With regard to bike ergonomics.  I grew up on motorcycles, and comfort never seemed to be an issue.  I rode UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles) through the 70s and 80's.  Stock seats and bars. 

As I got back into biking around 2003, I started on cruiser bikes, and started modifying them for comfort.  Seat swap, floorboards, windshield, etc., to make them rideable.  Was it me or the bikes that were off?

I dropped the cruiser thing and started riding a Kawasaki KLR and later a Versys.  Each required swapping out the seat.  Would the younger me have done fine on the stock seats?  Dunno. 

Fast forward to my Guzzi V7III Special.  The seat's fair, but the riding position needed help.  I found the ride intolerable until I got some Knight Design pegs that were an inch and some odd lower.  Bingo...comfy now, and no windshield required for the way I ride.  Jeeeesh....I'm only 65, so what's the deal? 

I wouldn't go anywhere near a cafe style riding position.  I don't get on a bike to run down to the convenience store, I generally go out for at least a couple hours at a time.  And, that means a comfy bike is essential. 

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Been there, done that.  Couple times.  Why would you NOT get this done?  And, soon? 

With regard to bike ergonomics.  I grew up on motorcycles, and comfort never seemed to be an issue.  I rode UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles) through the 70s and 80's.  Stock seats and bars. 

As I got back into biking around 2003, I started on cruiser bikes, and started modifying them for comfort.  Seat swap, floorboards, windshield, etc., to make them rideable.  Was it me or the bikes that were off?

I dropped the cruiser thing and started riding a Kawasaki KLR and later a Versys.  Each required swapping out the seat.  Would the younger me have done fine on the stock seats?  Dunno. 

Fast forward to my Guzzi V7III Special.  The seat's fair, but the riding position needed help.  I found the ride intolerable until I got some Knight Design pegs that were an inch and some odd lower.  Bingo...comfy now, and no windshield required for the way I ride.  Jeeeesh....I'm only 65, so what's the deal? 

I wouldn't go anywhere near a cafe style riding position.  I don't get on a bike to run down to the convenience store, I generally go out for at least a couple hours at a time.  And, that means a comfy bike is essential.

Your comment about not going anywhere near a cafe style riding position, intrigues me because that was the main reason I posted.

The V11Lemans that I'm getting ready to farkle and prep for spring, doesn't have low clip on or the severe cafe racer riding position, but it does have a more aggressive forward lean to it.

It wasn't an issue when I test rode it in the fall, but being the middle of the winter with this hernia issue at play, I can't do a test ride on it now to see how it feels and affects it, when I'm actually riding on the bike.

My rides are mostly long day trips through remote back hills country and home at the end of the day, so I agree with you; a bike that is comfortable for the long ride is important to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »
wow, what timing! i went into the clinic last week and they are going to be giving me a referral for the ultrasound very soon. this has been bothering me for at least the last two years and if its a hernia i will be very happy to get it all sorted. thanks for all of the information. love this list.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
What about all the lawyer ads on tv about mesh failures?

A good point and one I asked my surgeon.

My first one was smaller than the second, but it was one of the 5%ers that had a major nerve running inside the muscle, not around it, which could lead to problems fixing the hernia.  There were the deep discussions about what he should do once he got in there, whether to use the mesh or old school.  As I said to him, I clean heat pumps, I'm not a blinkin surgeon.  I'll sign the papers, just do what you have to do to fix it.  As it was, he did the whole lot keyhole, said he had to use a fair bit of mesh, but he also said that old school tends to have far more problems with it with adhesions and pain.  He said the mesh problems were from surgeons using mesh on gynecology problems where it was not suitable.  He had absolutely no issues using it to fix hernias.

He took photos of the works inside to show what he had to do.  I could see where he would have been a bit jumpy with the nerve going in a weird place.   Probably why I ride a Guzzi... :undecided: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 02:06:18 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
aha, most excellent. i was about to ask the same question. i have certainly watched my share of late night television and have seen the ads for the class lawsuits.  thanks for the answer.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 01:02:13 PM »
Common for men because the testes have to descend out of the abdomen through the surrounding muscles leaving a weakness that the intestines can also push through.  I had mesh surgery for bilateral inguinal hernia about 15 years ago.  The day before surgery I went mountain biking with 4 other guys.  Two had already had surgery - one as a toddler and the other as a teenager.  It's anecdotal, but the fact that 3 of 5 of us had hernias by our early 40s impressed.

I asked the surgeon about open incision vs. laparoscopic surgery and he said (approx.) "With open incision I can see everything to lay out the mesh.  With laparoscopic it is difficult to see well enough to lay out the mesh correctly.  If you want laparoscopic get another surgeon".  I appreciated his expertise and have 2 scars that have mostly faded.

The doc has also said that if I allow the muscles to get too weak or overload them (ex. failing to exhale when lifting something heavy) that it can re-herniate next to the mesh.  I suspect this is the source of many "mesh failures".

I ride a LMIII that I changed the bars on to relieve the pressure on my wrists, but never had a problem with the hernia repair.  I've never thought about the hernia when riding any bike or bicycle.

Hope this helps.  Recover well!
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »
Get the surgery, rehab, strengthen your core  :smiley: get on that bad LeMans, and don't worry.. Be happy.  you'll be glad you did.

Yes. There is always the chance of an infection during the surgery. Weigh your odds about getting an infection if you *don't* do the surgery. You feelin lucky?  :wink:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
Get the surgery, rehab, strengthen your core  :smiley: get on that bad LeMans, and don't worry.. Be happy.  you'll be glad you did.

Yes. There is always the chance of an infection during the surgery. Weigh your odds about getting an infection if you *don't* do the surgery. You feelin lucky?  :wink:

I bet your odds are better to get taken out by a bus as you pull that bike out of the drive...   

Im vary happy I had mine.. I do still feel it once in a while.. Not pain... just the little..'Hey!! Im down here" from the mesh aera.. Im told its common, becouse the mesh doesnt flex as much as your body. Really though, tha amount that happands is vary little now that im 3-4 years in.. Also is was my first ever surgery, time in the hospital, and time I was put under...  to say I was scared is a understatement!!
Paul B

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »

They tell me gas gangrene in your abdomen is not a happy thing to have! :sad:
03 Breva

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 11:48:52 PM »

I ride a LMIII that I changed the bars on to relieve the pressure on my wrists, but never had a problem with the hernia repair.  I've never thought about the hernia when riding any bike or bicycle.

Hope this helps.  Recover well!

Tks very much for all the info, but especially this bit re your Lemans lll, I think ergo wise is should be very close to the V11 Lemans with risers.

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 12:03:11 AM »

Hey Chuck, I'll definitely be strengthening my core, but I'll wait until it gets fixed before I get too serious. I did some minor exercises a couple of days ago and my core was so out of shape I thought I was going to die, lol  :laugh:

I hear you on the serious infection side, I think I may have dodged a bullet and my intestines might have been strangled a little bit. After all the poking and prodding by Dr's & Radiologists the last couple of days pushing things back into place I feel a lot better.

I reached out to the Shouldice Hospital that Sir Real Ed referenced in regards to Senator Rand Paul going to. All they do is Hernia repairs, extremely competent and efficient on the phone & web site. Now it's just to sit down with my Dr next week and come up with a game plan.

tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
Way to go Kelly.  Sounds like you are on to it.

Hoping yours will be as successful as mine have been! :thumb:
03 Breva

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »
6 weeks to the day after a serious gizzardectomy.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 10:02:24 AM »
Alright, enough hernia talk.  Now, how did your last colonoscopy go? 

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 03:42:08 PM »
Alright, enough hernia talk.  Now, how did your last colonoscopy go?

Well funny you should ask,,, it went well, but it was a few years ago  :laugh:.

My results from the Radiologist came back that there is a hernia, but the crown of it is only 6 mm, that doesn't seem to add up and jive with the symptoms I've been having.

I'll be seeing my family Dr next week and hopefully come up with a game plan.

For now, I'm trying to cut back on my eating and getting more exercise  :thumb:

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
Here's something my cardiologist said on my regular visit after my umbilical hernia repair.

If i had waited till it ruptured they would have to split me open like a split chicken  breast to repair it instead of the laparoscopy  method.

Your hernia as i said earlier is  a very easy repair in most cases.

Remember what i said earlier?

Do you want a few stitches short recovery , or many stiches and a long recovery?

TOMB

TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
6 weeks to the day after a serious gizzardectomy.. :smiley:

Hey Chuck,    That's a beautiful photo and bike, reassuring to see you able to reach the low clip ons, I notice you're reaching for the carb not your groin, that's a good sign  :thumb:

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
Here's something my cardiologist said on my regular visit after my umbilical hernia repair.

If i had waited till it ruptured they would have to split me open like a split chicken  breast to repair it instead of the laparoscopy  method.

Your hernia as i said earlier is  a very easy repair in most cases.

Remember what i said earlier?

Do you want a few stitches short recovery , or many stiches and a long recovery?

TOMB

Hey Tomb,  I appreciate your concern and your wise words very much; I'm definitely mindful going forward

Tks

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
80CX100

Good  to know i learned to keep the pressure on from my wife of 37 years.

She is also Canadian , from Edmonston New Brunswick  x from Madawaska Maine.

TOMB
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:05:33 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here