Author Topic: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet  (Read 20131 times)

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
FWIW, HJC has a massive factory in Korea and they manufacture helmets for a number of brands. Maybe it's like bicycles, you spec out the helmet, it's built overseas by someone else, and you handle the branding and marketing. Seems to be how Bell and Biltwell do business, assume that to be true for Bilt, Joe Rocket, and many many others.

One of the cycle mags made a big splash a few years ago by publishing the results of their lab work, which showed light, inexpensive helmets doing a better job at protecting the head/face/neck than heavier and more expensive helmets. Their contention was that DOT standards were actually working against safety by being overly focused on the penetration test (steady on, boys).

2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Considering getting a Bilt modular helmet
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 08:25:04 PM »

One of the cycle mags made a big splash a few years ago by publishing the results of their lab work, which showed light, inexpensive helmets doing a better job at protecting the head/face/neck than heavier and more expensive helmets. Their contention was that DOT standards were actually working against safety by being overly focused on the penetration test (steady on, boys).

Not to aggravate anyone, but do you have some of the facts twisted.

Generally expensive helmets are lighter in weight (there are of course exceptions).

And I thought the article suggested that SNELL ratings were overly concerned with multiple impacts leading to a stiffer shell that might transmit more force.

But I may have some facts wrong to and have no doubt that if so someone will assist.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
Snell works mainly for sports car racers, not MC riders.  Yes, their criteria for safety is thusly slanted for car drivers, not MC riders.  I have talked to them @  MC shows and they verified to me their standards are only added safety to up to 25 mph head on helmet impact.  There is only so much a helmet can do to protect your brain.  But since most head impacts are glances/ricochets, your probability of surviving a head impact is greater.  :BEER:  BTW, Snell, is located in Sacramento, Calif.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
Well, I finally got my Bilt Apollo modular helmet in  white, XXL size.  The dang thing looks so good visually I don't even want to get it dirty !   ???   Up to now I've worn Shoei and Nolan helmets mainly.  This Bilt looks like a $200 helmet as far as quality.  I got it for $100 as a closeout @ Cycle Gear.  It fits my head like a glove, including my chin.  8)  I wore it today for a ride in windy/gusty conditions w/no ear plugs to see how noisy it is that way.  On my bikes/scooters I get all the wind on the helmet and prefer it that way.  W/o ear plugs I didn't find this helmet any noiser than my previous Nolan(2) helmets.  During exposure to different wind conditions I did get a little whistling but nothing to really get upset about.  With ear plugs(I usually wear) on I might not even hear any whistling.  Weight wise it might be a little heavier than my Nolan, but it has a drop down tinted lense my Nolan doesn't have.  Both lenses are distortion free, IMHO.

Only nit picks I have right now is that both the outside lense lift tab and chinbar vent switch are very close together.  As far as air cooling, I can't tell if it's better than my Nolan or not.   1 thing missing on this Bilt is a padded chinbar.  Since whenever I crash I always go down frontally, hope I never find out if this missing item makes any difference.  :-\

The helmet does NOT look cheaply built.  ;-T  The helmet has clear coated paint and the helmet came with a spiffy bag cover.    So far I have no regrets buying it, especially for $100 !!  :BEER:  This is my 3rd modular helmet.  The other 2 are still useable.   Am looking forward to using it on my next long ride.   :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »

Offline Monza-jockey

• Gosling
  • Rainer Lang
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
Thanks for your review!

I have a Shoei size head, and may look into the BiLT in the future.
I don't always ride motorcycles, when I do,  I prefer  Moto Guzzi.

Keep riding, my friends...

1982 V50 Monza

Baloches

Re:
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »
Cool helmet!

I tend towards having an oval head and wear an XL. 

Can you offer up some insight on how it fits?

Rocker, I wore the helmet closed riding my leMans on a two hour commute, and it was very annoying. The chinbar is quite elongated and this would put side load on my neck and buffeting. It was very tiring compared to my Arai.

It's fine on a "sit down" bike like my Norge or a Cali I would imagine, but sucks when riding in a crouch.

Cheers
Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »
Funny you should say this, Kai.   Obviously you and I have different shaped heads.  Other than my scooters I lean forward, not upright due to my lower back issues.  :'(  On my scooters I have enough back support to ride comfortably all day upright.  Since helmets are designed for different shaped heads, anyone buying a new helmet should 1st see if THAT helmet was made for their shaped head.  ;)  I did that in this case and this helmet works for me.  :BEER:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
I used to be a Snell snob.  But, I got over it when looking at some of their test practices these days.  As stated above, they are a car safety org mainly.  Snell was founded due to a death in a sports car crash due to an inferior helmet.  So, it is no wonder how they developed their standards.

For single impact type of crashes almost any of the std helmets will work and protect your head.  I would not hesitate to buy a Bilt and I do have an HJC I wear on a regular basis along with the Shoei I sometimes also wear.

Quality is another thing.  Yeah the Shoei feels more solid (it should be, it's heavy enough), the interior is higher quality, straps and D rings are 'thicker'.  But, the Shoei fogs easy (even with a pinlock), the face shields are far too expensive, and it will still 'wear out'.  Oh, and I had to do things to make it fit comfortably (shave some foam at hot spots and remove foam from the cheek pads).  [I do have a weird shape head that few helmets fit properly]

Yep, my head is worth a billion bucks, but, why pay that much for a helmet when I can get the same protection for $200?
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
my HJC Symax is literally falling apart.  Now the vent flap fell off.  I tried on the two Bilt modular helmets, the cheap on was pretty heavy and the better one (with the mic) wouldn't close.  The salesman told me to get a larger helmet (no) or to squeeze each side of the helmet when I closed the chin bar (it still didn't close).  I did purchase a Bilt 3/4 for $50 a year ago, I would rate it cheap but it's for occasional wear.

The Shoei idea sounds pretty good to me.  I am tired of cheap helmets. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »
My boss just picked up a Built modular with Bluetooth. It looks nice-from a construction standpoint- and he compliments the comfort.  I bought a full face for my daughter last year & thought it close in comparison to the Bell models on display. 

Those helmet test articles are still a very interesting read & a good debate:

http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-truth-about-motorcycle-helmets-got-a-journalist-fired

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Baloches

Re:
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »
Funny you should say this, Kai.   Obviously you and I have different shaped heads.  Other than my scooters I lean forward, not upright due to my lower back issues.  :'(  On my scooters I have enough back support to ride comfortably all day upright.  Since helmets are designed for different shaped heads, anyone buying a new helmet should 1st see if THAT helmet was made for their shaped head.  ;)  I did that in this case and this helmet works for me.  :BEER:
So true Wayne. Everything changes from one person to the next. Height, arm reach, relationship to the fairing etc. my experience was on my leMans and there was a very big difference in buffeting from wearing my arai (none) vs the shark (unbearable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
 I bought a Bilt modular because I was in the store, they had them on sale, and I never tried a modular.. Its OK but like the old saying goes"you get what you pay for" its noisy(even with ear plugs) fit is a bit sloppy and it has a kind of weird smell to it that hasnt gone away in the year of ownership..I really never wear it but it is always good to have extra brain buckets on hand.. I recently bought a Shoei GT air and the differance is amazing but considering the Shoei is over $600. and the Bilt was about $100 I guess thats to be expected but worth every penny..

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
I bought a Bilt Apollo mod. helmet and other than found it's top lense seal has a big gap(allowing no rain seal & more noise) and it weighs more than I had hoped, it is lasting parts wise and I have used it for  almost 2 years on long distance trips , added a foam weather strip on the top lense seal area which has stopped excess noise and now the helmet is pretty much water proof.  For my $100 price I'm happy now.  :boozing:

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »
I have an older (and expensive in its time) Shoei rf1000 with both snell and DOT certs.  The interior foam is degrading and flaking off after about 10 years.  Time to buy another helmet.   :bike-037:

After reading the New York Times article and the accompanying article, I won't bother looking for the Snell cert.  but instead the ece and/or DOT.  Quality, fit and finish are important to me though, especially in the helmet lining.  The Shoei rf1000 didnt' allow replacing the whole lining, just check pads.  I like the Bell 3/4 but I wonder if it is too hot in the summer.  It doesn't appear to have any ventilation.  Anyway, I'll likely go into cycle gear and try on what they have... doesn't really matter the style or name-brand so long as it fits and seems good value.

canuguzzi

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »
Try a Kabuto.  With helmets you most often get what you pay for.

If you have a round head,   Nolan is OK.  Oval,  Shoei but IMHO Kabuto is better.

Bilt is economy.  The better helmets might cost more but they fit better,  their face shields don't scratch as easily,  they are quieter and ventilate easier.

A helmet is not the time to go cheap. 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 12:08:20 PM »
Try a Kabuto.  With helmets you most often get what you pay for.

If you have a round head,   Nolan is OK.  Oval,  Shoei but IMHO Kabuto is better.

Bilt is economy.  The better helmets might cost more but they fit better,  their face shields don't scratch as easily,  they are quieter and ventilate easier.

A helmet is not the time to go cheap.

As for ventilation, my Bilt does just fine.  But it's not good in cold.   Ventilation varies from 1 model to the next, not by quality.   www.WebBikeworld is a good place to find these things out.   www.CompetitionAcce ssories does videos of their helmets and tell you about ventilation results too.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:39:34 PM by Arizona Wayne »

dilligaf

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
I do not think a Tupperware bowl could pass the DOT 318 standard.  I hope they never test one cause it just might.  Put a chin strap one and the next great helmet value could be Tupperware.  :thewife:  :boozing:
Matt

canuguzzi

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »
As far as helmet weight..........of course a modular helmet weighs more than a conventional full face helmet.   It has more parts in it and the same goes for it being noisier(w/o ear plugs), it has more openings(cracks) in it.

A minus of light helmets is it can cause your head to bounce around more in turbulent wind.  So that and what speeds you ride at can  make all this subject variable.  I don't ride behind a barn door windshield so these complaints I don't find important in my use of a full coverage helmet.  I have a half helmet but only use it for short trips to/thru town. 

As stated earlier, the price of your helmet has nothing to do with the protection you get when it really counts.  If all the helmets are DOT approved, that's as far as your protection goes in an accident.  Yes, more expensive helmets can be more comfortable/convenient to use for protection.  But that's as far as accident protection goes comparing the different priced helmets.  The more demanding you are the more your desired helmet is going to cost.  ;)

The Kabuto weighs the same or less than a conventional full face helmet. The reason modular helmets sometimes weigh more is design, not that is must be so.

The Schuberth is a lighter modular but pick up a Kabuto and you'll be amazed at how light it is.

When it comes to protection, there is the perception that a modular doesn't offer as much protection. While that may or may not be true, once you get into the realm of that much force and damage, a helmet regardless of who makes it or what certifications it has is probably the least thing to worry about.

IMHO, if the impact is so great that a modular of high quality is defeated and your brain is like overcooked peas, the rest of your body probably isn't in any better shape.

dilligaf

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »

When it comes to protection, there is the perception that a modular doesn't offer as much protection. While that may or may not be true, once you get into the realm of that much force and damage, a helmet regardless of who makes it or what certifications it has is probably the least thing to worry about.

IMHO, if the impact is so great that a modular of high quality is defeated and your brain is like overcooked peas, the rest of your body probably isn't in any better shape.

The SDHP did a study of 167 fatalities.  What you say is true.  :boozing:
Matt

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »
I have worn Shoei, Scorpion, HJC, AGV, and Nolan as my last few helmets. My favorites have been the Nolan, and the Scorpion, with the AGV being the least favorite.
The Scorpion helmets are worth looking at, decent quality at a decent price.  The Nolan fits very well, and has the best optical quality in the shield. I think Shoei makes a great helmet, but is very expensive for what you get. HJC is a decent helmet for the money, but I like the scorpion and Nolan helmets better.  The AGV modular helmet pretty much self destructed after a season and a half of riding.
I know, a rambling incoherent review of a few helmets,  :boozing:  but my experience leads me to recommend the Scorpion and the Nolan

Offline T in NC

• Gaggle Hero
  • non e il rumore, e la musica
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
I've had my Techno Evolution a little over a week now and I really like it. My two biggest complaints are it is almost impossible to close the chinbar with one hand and i wish the eye port were an 1/4 inch higher. Putting the helmet on my glasses get pushed down but somehow don't seem to be uncomfortable once underway somehow.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76840.msg1213147#msg1213147

Steve Stamilio

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
The SDHP did a study of 167 fatalities.  What you say is true.  :boozing:
Matt

Your brain can't take hits as much as the rest of your body can and when it does take a hit it can't rebuild itself like most your other body parts can.   That's if the 1st brain hit is not fatal.   There is not a helmet made that can protect your brain from a head on impact into a solid object safely for more than 25 mph.  If you don't believe me call Snell.   Luckily most brain impacts are glances, not head on collisions.  The styrofoam construction in a helmet is what absorbs the initial impact between your outside object and brain.  If the impact is too fast your brain is toast and you are dead or a vegetable `till you die.  Ride on.............. :boozing:

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 01:19:20 AM »
Can't help on the Bilt but if you're looking for a "cheap" quality helmet then a Caberg Duke looks like it ticks all the boxes if you can get them in the US

http://www.caberg.it/caberg_caschi_caberg_helmets.php?mod=DK&color=SB&p=1&lang=en

I'm about to pull the trigger on one - the Legend Italia   :bow:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 06:37:52 AM »
I am not so interested in Modular helmets but the Kabuto Ibuki looks like a pretty good helmet if it fits.  I would but a Shoei Qwest but my problem is it has no removable liner.  Does not come with a pinlock ready shield or a pinloch insert.  So even if the price is good if you add a shoei pinlock shield and insert and a tinted shield you add another $150.00 at least.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:11 AM »
The Caberg Duke comes in the box with:-

Pinlock ready shield
Pinlock insert
Internal tinted visor
Removable liner
Sharp 5 rating with the chin bar up or down

All for 179.99 Stirling

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
I am not so interested in Modular helmets but the Kabuto Ibuki looks like a pretty good helmet if it fits.  I would but a Shoei Qwest but my problem is it has no removable liner.  Does not come with a pinlock ready shield or a pinloch insert.  So even if the price is good if you add a shoei pinlock shield and insert and a tinted shield you add another $150.00 at least.

If you wear a headskin/do rag like I do you should never need to wash your liner.   If you get a helmet w/a drop down tinted lense you don't need another lense.  :smiley:

canuguzzi

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »

If you wear a headskin/do rag like I do you should never need to wash your liner.   If you get a helmet w/a drop down tinted lense you don't need another lense.  :smiley:

:1:

Yup. If you don't wear a headwrap or balaclava or something similar, your head just sits in the sweat from the last ride.

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2015, 07:15:42 AM »
I have been riding with the Bilt bluettoth helmet for over a year.  There were chin latch problems with the initial lot and had to replace it twice.  Once that problem was resolved it has been the most comfortable helmet I've worn.  The bluetooth is excellent sound quality. Recently, my wife wanted to replace her HJC Symax and purcharsed the latest addition to the Bilt modular blue tooth helmet.  It had better ventilation with better internal lining and they allowed me to swap out my helmet for the difference in price.
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »
:1:

Yup. If you don't wear a headwrap or balaclava or something similar, your head just sits in the sweat from the last ride.

Not quite.  Your sweat will still get through to the liner.  Not as much, but on a longer ride it gets just as nasty as without the balaclava.  BTDT for many years when helmets did not have removable liners.  I used to wash my Shoei in the sink.  Fill the helmet with water and soap and scrub.

Now days I just put the helmet on over my bald head.  After each longer ride or every week or two of commuting I pull out the liner and wash it.  I won't buy a helmet these days without a removable liner.  And on some trips I wear a balaclava as well.

I wish I could wear a Nolan.  I have tried just about every model they make.  Their liner design crushes my ears.

I tried Shark's Evoline but it felt like I was wearing a brick.

Ended up with an HJC Symax III (thanks to a generous Guzzi fellow).  It has proven really good.  Now going on my second year with it.  Yes, I would get another one.  FYI, it may be noisy on a more naked bike.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:14:08 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
Not quite.  Your sweat will still get through to the liner.  Not as much, but on a longer ride it gets just as nasty as without the balaclava.  BTDT for many years when helmets did not have removable liners.  I used to wash my Shoei in the sink.  Fill the helmet with water and soap and scrub.

Now days I just put the helmet on over my bald head.  After each longer ride or every week or two of commuting I pull out the liner and wash it.  I won't buy a helmet these days without a removable liner.  And on some trips I wear a balaclava as well.

I wish I could wear a Nolan.  I have tried just about every model they make.  Their liner design crushes my ears.

I tried Shark's Evoline but it felt like I was wearing a brick.

Ended up with an HJC Symax III (thanks to a generous Guzzi fellow).  It has proven really good.  Now going on my second year with it.  Yes, I would get another one.  FYI, it may be noisy on a more naked bike.

My wife makes my headskin for me out of cotton and my sweat does not soak thru it.  I am also bald on top.  Don't know what your balaclava is made out of.  My helmet liners look like new inside. But I also ride in a dry climate mostly.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here