Author Topic: I bought a battery backup..........  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
I bought a battery backup..........
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
....for when on MC trips.  Got it at Sam's Club today for $49, made by Stanley.  It has a Lithium Ion battery I charged with it's AC charger and has small enough battery clamps to work on a MC battery.  It can also be used for a car/truck thru a  lighter socket.  Has a 12A max. output capacity + will charge cameras, phones, tablets.  Have any of you gone this route yet?  I have a couple rigs that on a long trip I feel more confident having backup if needed.  It's small enough to carry on  a MC.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:55:44 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: I bought a battery backup..........
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:05:38 PM »
I go with one of the larger units with enough current to start the bike.  Has USB ports, and a cig plug for other appliances
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:09:36 PM »
I go with one of the larger units with enough current to start the bike.  Has USB ports, and a cig plug for other appliances

This 1 has a 2A USB plug.  I don't have a bunch of accessories to charge too.  My main concern is the starter motor some times.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 12:23:31 AM »

....for when on MC trips.  Got it at Sam's Club today for $49, made by Stanley. 

Been thinking about that route. BTW, it may have a 'Stanley' name on it, but it was either made under contract or by a licensed user of the brand name. The company itself still doesn't do anything electrical...

Then again, likely three-quarters of the 'brand-name' stuff in a home improvement store shares that characteristic!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 12:23:31 AM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:41:41 AM »
Been thinking about that route. BTW, it may have a 'Stanley' name on it, but it was either made under contract or by a licensed user of the brand name. The company itself still doesn't do anything electrical...

Then again, likely three-quarters of the 'brand-name' stuff in a home improvement store shares that characteristic!

I just hope Stanley wouldn't let a POS use their name.  It has a 1 year warranty.  The mfg. is listed and it's made in China so it can't be too bad.  :smiley:

If the quality is good I don't care where something I buy is made.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:54:12 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 08:23:35 AM »
Bought one of the anti battery lithium backup batteries. I've used it twice to start cars and once for a bike.  Luckily, not mine.  They have no problem turning over a big V8, and will also charge any of your other devices.

I carry mine on any long trip.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 09:22:12 AM »
I've carried one for the last couple of years.  We use it around the house to charge cell phones, etc and I carry it in the car or on the bike when on trips for emergency use.  A real handy thing to have around.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
I got one at WallyWorld for $31.
My brother has the same one, drives a tow truck, and used it a number of times to get people going.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
Mines like my American Express Card, I don't leave home without it.

Have used it to self rescue one of my bikes, and my old van.  Powers a Bluetooth speaker.  When I forget to charge my phone its small enough to ride in the cargo pocket of my britches next to my phone to provide a quick charge.  Charge it as I ride or drive.  Useful addition to my kit.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »
I have to get one of these gadgets. what surprises me is these things ,with a Lithium ion,or iron battery in them , will crank a powerstroke V8, and sell for $31. at Walmart, then how come Shorai batteries to crank a motorcycle, are so darned expensive?
Has anyone thought about using one of these units as an actual motorcycle battery? The thing is sealed, can be installed in almost any location, some are pretty small, and will crank a V8! What are the group's thoughts on this?
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
I have to get one of these gadgets. what surprises me is these things ,with a Lithium ion,or iron battery in them , will crank a powerstroke V8, and sell for $31. at Walmart, then how come Shorai batteries to crank a motorcycle, are so darned expensive?
Has anyone thought about using one of these units as an actual motorcycle battery? The thing is sealed, can be installed in almost any location, some are pretty small, and will crank a V8! What are the group's thoughts on this?
Rick.
The proof is in the putting..  they *say* they will crank a V*..  in real life, not so much.  In a best case basis if you leave them connected to your starting battery for a half hour they *might* charge it enough to crank the engine.  Look at the specs, It prolly says something like 12A maximum output.  You are not going to crank a V8 with 12A.  What they do is topp off the main battery a bit in hopes it will be enough. 
Beware the marketing hype. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »
I'm shocked Wayne.... a lithium?? 
I've owned Lithiums for years now and love them.  I have an anti as well the size of a iphone and it DID crank a V6 in the middle of winter after 30 seconds on a dead battery.  Car started right up.  You want good lithiums with enough juice.  Same with bikes. 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »
Dang, I'll have to check out the $31 WM version.   :undecided:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:42:17 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
The proof is in the putting..  they *say* they will crank a V*..  in real life, not so much.  In a best case basis if you leave them connected to your starting battery for a half hour they *might* charge it enough to crank the engine.  Look at the specs, It prolly says something like 12A maximum output.  You are not going to crank a V8 with 12A.  What they do is topp off the main battery a bit in hopes it will be enough. 
Beware the marketing hype.

Will start a V8.  I started my old E150 Ford.  Battery was drained to extent that it would not turn over the engine.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
Will start a V8.  I started my old E150 Ford.  Battery was drained to extent that it would not turn over the engine.

Dave
Galveston

The directions on my new 1 says it supplements an existing battery that's not too low on voltage.   This 1 is too big to put in a shirt pocket so I hope that means it has more reserve juice than some others like it.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »
The cheap Chinese lithiums have a reputation for burning out, it's best to get a good quality one like a Rockford, comes with multiple connectors, a car charger and the battery leads, and these will crank any V8 easily - I've let my Land Rover battery go completely dead...connected up the Rockford and instantaneous start and this is for a system requiring 850 CCA.

Easily charges your phone multiple times...has a 3 way flashlight for emergency or standard situations...very lightweight.

Here's a link to the Rockford:
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Power-Source-Mini-Starter/dp/B00JLPNHJQ
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:19:31 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »
Must depend on what version you get.  I have started a V8 with it, and it didn't even seem to struggle.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
  Tom from Kona came by last weekend for a visit.  When he and his Harley buddy left the Guzzy wouldn't start.  I offered my plug in charger that can bring an M.C. batter up enough in about a half hour but he just unzipped a pouch in his ditty bag and pulled out a plastic rectangle about 3 inches by 6 inches and half an inch thick, and a couple of wires.  He hooked it up and hit his starter button.  He told me it had enough power to start my truck if needed.  After hearing his Guzzy spin over as if it had a new battery, I believe him.
 I don't know what brand it was but I was impressed with its' power.  Send him a P.M. and ask and he will tell you.

Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
To answer someone's question as to why you can't use one of these jobbers in a bike is because they have high cranking amps but too low a storage capacity for normal use.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »

You can't.

Well, you shouldn't.

These are lithium ION (actually LiPo in mine), not lithium iron. The charging requirements are very specific. In fact, when you jump start a vehicle, you are required to disconnect it ASAP, so the vehicle charger doesn't damage it.
Lithium iron is a good bit more forgiving.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
Dang, I'll have to check out the $31 WM version.   :undecided:

I could hear those suspenders snap all the way up here!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »
I got a Cobra JumPack about $65.  Works well.  I can put it in my hip pocket or jacket.  They're on sale at Evine.com.  Looks like it's similar to some of the other ones that have mentioned earlier.  Has a 400A cca.  Will start a car/truck with problems. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline stephenm

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 06:51:56 PM »
There are two different units being referred to in this thread.
There is an older style of unit that you connected for 5-20 minutes to top up the vehicle battery so you can try for an engine start.
I had one for years, got to use it once.

The newer style (e.g.: Microstart PPS - I have a 'Mini') are different.
They deliver a huge outrush current, up to 300A on the Mini, up to 600A on their PPS-10.
They can start engines immediately they are connected,
and must be disconnected as soon as the engine starts.

Stephen

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »
True for the quick disconnect.  The info says that you could damage it, if you run it connected.  Great for back-up.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
Well, now I'm not sure what to do.  Looks like I paid too much for what I got, but I only got it for my bikes/scooters.  Have a bigger 1 for the car/truck(450A).  I can always return it if I'm not satisfied with it.  :undecided:

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »
Doesn't sound like you paid too much just depends on what you want.  I wanted back-up just in case I needed a jump.  Check the size and storage amps.  Mine's at 400A.  IIRC.  This a newer model.  http://www.evine.com/Product/457-939  The one that I have is sold out and was on sale. http://www.evine.com/Product/447-756
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:50:02 PM by Tom »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »
I got a Cobra JumPack about $65.  Works well.  I can put it in my hip pocket or jacket.  They're on sale at Evine.com.  Looks like it's similar to some of the other ones that have mentioned earlier.  Has a 400A cca.  Will start a car/truck with problems.
You'd better hope it doesn't short out in there, all that power sounds like it could do some serious damage.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
You'd better hope it doesn't short out in there, all that power sounds like it could do some serious damage.

The 400A is peak = 200A really.  Mine is a measly 12A   :undecided:  but  for a MC maybe that's enough.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »

No problems so far.  After starting disconnect before reving.  It's like jump starting a bike from a car.  Not necessary to have the car running or reving it.  Thanks for the precaution however.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »
Those jump starters that I have used, have ZERO output, until that are attached to a battery that has a few volts. So it you connect them backwards, you get nothing. Short them out, nothing.
Many of them have an override button just for that. If you connect to a battery that is totally dead, and zero volts, you have to press the override button to turn it on. If you press the override button, and the leads are shorted, an internal fuseable link pops, and the battery is destroyed, though there is no fire or such.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:02:27 PM by OMG »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here