Author Topic: Leak Under Swing Arm  (Read 2783 times)

ArizonaPaul

Leak Under Swing Arm
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Walked into the garage this morning and saw oil under the swing arm of my 2013 Stelvio. Closer inspecting showed drips coming from the nylon clip attached to the swing arm and holding the brake line and the abs sensor wire, I think. 

upload image

I had seen a drop under here earlier, but it is getting worse. I couldn't easily see how to get the brake line out of the clip and didn't want to break anything, so thought I would ask.

There is also another of these clips that has a wet spot around it.

hosting jpg

Anyone have any idea what the leak could be as it doesn't appear to be the brake line.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Leak Under Swing Arm
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »
From oil in swingarm, there have been others here had it happen. Do a search for it, might have been Leafman's Stelvio. Can't remember but it's been discussed. Most likely from the rear drive.

Lines just pop out of clips and wire should be tie wrapped on.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:08:42 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
My 13 had the same thing, I had just changed engine oil and it turns out I had filled engine oil to full mark forgetting it likes to have a little less and will purge what it doesn't want from the hoses underneath and spraying back onto swingarm. I put a plug in the clear hose and just drained it a couple of times after my rides until it stopped. The accumlated amount in the hose would only be about half an inch but enough to make a mess out back and looking like a leak coming from the swingarm.

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
Mine leaked from the rear-most clip.  We assumed it was leaking from either end of the driveshaft in the open cavity and took off the swing arm but that was bone dry inside.

The leak was actually at the clip mounting hole - Larry at MPH determined that the hole was drilled too deeply and the remaining casting was so thin that rear drive fluid was seeping through the metal.  He JB Welded the hole and redrilled less deep to accept the clip.  No leaks since.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »
Clear hoses are plugged, no sign of oil anywhere but the two clips, transmission might be a taste low of fluid, but being only 4,800 miles old I'm not sure, CARC level is exactly at the bottom of the threads. Next week I will pull it all apart to check/grease the swingarm bearings and see if it is wet on the inside.

Typical that the closest dealer is 50 miles away, but I am willing to try before I have to go there. Searched and read some links to the same type of issue and when I get it apart if the seals are leaking I will carry the CARC to the dealer and see if they will repair it under warranty. Thanks you the replies fellas!

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
If there is oil in the swingarm it will most likely be the front deal of the CARC. If not that it will be the gearbox output shaft seal but that is a lot rarer.

Pete

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:23:43 PM »
Take a close look at the CARC fill.  I had a weep there that was just enough to make me think my CARC seals were going bad.  A new copper gasket cured the problem.  It only took a tiny amount of CARC oil to make a mess, that stuff will go a long way!  You will be glad you greased the swingarm bearings.  Taking a look at the other drive related stuff is a bonus.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:49:38 PM »
I had this problem and it was the input shaft seal to the CARC final drive box. Good memory, Steve.

I had it and the bellows replaced.  Problem stopped.

Pull the CARC off and take a look. If the oil is all in the rear portion of the swing arm, it's coming from the CARC drive. You will also be able to see it pooled around the shaft going into the CARC drive.

That seal is not cheap.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:53:03 PM by leafman60 »

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
We had two CARC bikes here that would collect oil under swingarm. There is a transmission breather called a (fuel pipe) in the parts breakdown. Oil was traced from the there on both of the bikes.  My Norge was the same.  I just cleaned it off with a little Simple Green when washing and changed the trans fluid periodically.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:17 PM »
Well, I had some time today and pulled off the CARC and found the front seal leaking.

Wiped it down and a half an hour later it looked like this just sitting on the floor.

photo upload without registration

The driveshaft section of the swingarm tube is bone dry and the clips protrude into it. Should I JB Weld over them to guarantee it can't leak? Still not sure why the clips are dripping if it is dry inside.

Will be heading across town to the dealer in the morning to try and get them to warrantee it. Taking this thing off was a walk in the park. It practically fell off when the bolts were removed. I will take it all the way down tomorrow and grease the swing arm bearings and lube the driveline splines.  I'm not holding out any hope they will repair it tomorrow. But, stranger things have happened.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
I would NOT seal those holes.  In this case you were alerted to a leaky seal and get it fixed before there was serious damage. 

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
The pinion shaft seal must be replaced.

Same situation I confronted.

Welcome to the world of Guzzi!

If MGNA covers it in warranty, I will be amazed.

If they don't, I would recommend someone with the proper tools and experience to do the job.

Mine was done by Drew in the AF1 Racing shop in Texas.  I highly recommend them.  Call Drew, box it up and ship it to them.  The whole cost is not too bad. They've done many of them.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:39:27 PM by leafman60 »

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
Thanks Leafman60 and everyone else, I will be contacting Drew later this morning. There are only two MG dealers in Arizona any more, the small shop I bought the bike from 140 miles away and another 60 miles away. The close one has a horrible service reputation and the other didn't know the bike had roller tappets even after doing the break-in service.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
Thanks Leafman60 and everyone else, I will be contacting Drew later this morning. There are only two MG dealers in Arizona any more, the small shop I bought the bike from 140 miles away and another 60 miles away. The close one has a horrible service reputation and the other didn't know the bike had roller tappets even after doing the break-in service.

Drew worked at a Guzzi dealer in CA for a while before coming to AF1.  He knows this operation and said they have had to replace a few of these seals. He went on to tell me that a special tool was needed for the installation after splitting the CARC but that the special tool did not work correctly and he had to modify it to do what it was supposed to do.

I don't remember all the details but he did a good job for me with a quick turn around and a reasonable cost.  Again, I don't remember exactly what he charged but it was not a huge amount- even with the to and fro shipping.

It was a pleasure dealing with a knowledgeable Guzzi wrench who was very polite and helpful. Nice guy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:22:10 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
I tried to pave the way for you today by calling AF1 and giving them a heads up about the possibility of you calling.  Drew is still there as is the new service manager, Brent.

They are ready if you need them.

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
leafman60, when I called and asked for Drew, Steve said, "What can I help you with?" He was very helpful, sent a copy of the Stelvio parts catalog to be sure we were talking about the same parts, but also added..."Wherever remotely possible, we strongly prefer to have the whole bike for any service we perform so that we can check our work before releasing back to the customer."  Oh, I have failed to mention he also checked my VIN and this would be covered under the warrantee.  I do have some business in Louisiana, so I plan on riding that way anyway, but I need to finish buttoning it up and riding it to see how bad it will leak now. Wouldn't want to burn the thing up getting there.

On the bright side I went ahead and greased my swing arm bearings that were bone dry. Your tutorial was most helpful and I appreciate the effort you put into it!

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
Looking at the amount of oil coming out of the seal holder I'd definitely advise against riding it anywhere. While it may just be the seal that much oil may indicate that the pinion nut has loosened. If that has happened it will destroy the crownwheel and pinion in very short order.

Pete

ArizonaPaul

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
Great point Pete. I need to reevaluate all options.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here