Author Topic: Czech Moto GP qualifying Sat.  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Czech Moto GP qualifying Sat.
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
...8 am on east coast on BEin & DirecTV.  Brno race track.  Check times for other classes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:51:12 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Czech Moto GP qualifying Sat.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »
cable box just went out..... no dvr
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:14:45 AM »
It's not been a good year for motorcycle racing legends.

Wonder what the weather will bring? Flag to Flag?
Any bets on a podium for Dovi?
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
Genius...just pure genius! That's all there is to say!  DaVinci on the Motorcycle!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
Question to me is, with as fast as a certain Yamaha goes around the track, why does that team always wait too late to change bikes?  Dillon reported they had a dry bike ready to go quite a few laps before they came in to change.  By then a couple of Hondas had disappeared over the horizon.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
Everyone has the chance to have a second bike ready, sometimes think a bit more strategically about the scenarios and are ready.  The playing field is absolutely level when it comes to the rules and the fact that each team can change bikes.

The big difference is strategy and planning, and Honda has a lead there over Yamaha/Suzuki.

Hardly an unfair "artificial" advantage! 
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Brno races available out West 4:30 to 7:30 pm tonight.  GP race is supposed to be last according to Bein channel.  What I've read about this race so far sounds like it's going to be boring.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »
No not boring.

Kirby, the lower classes stop the race for tires as MotoGP used to-but it was decided to do it this way, and frankly I enjoy it.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
Actually several teams had the second bike set with an alternate wet setup-Lorenzo's crew wasn't switched to dry when he came in!

The riders now have a dash messaging system-Rossi and his crew made the wrong call, as he freely admits. Ain't always about who's fastest.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »
Far as I'm concerned, Kirby, Honda did what they planned all along.  Last year with different regs. of what your options are in wet conditions, some riders stayed on slicks longer than I thought was even possible w/o crashing.  :shocked:  I don't know the regs. this year, but suspect if the race is called "wet", the riders have to start with rain tires.  So Honda put the softest rain tires available on their factory race bikes knowing in a couple laps they will switch off that race bike to the backup w/slicks.  Be honest, the track was hardly wet when they started the race.  What Honda did was planned all the way.  They weren't the only team that switched bikes w/slicks after 2 laps either.  But the other teams that did it aren't as competitive, so Honda didn't care.

The shocking thing to me is that neither Ducati, Yamaha, or Suzuki was prepared for the scenario that occurred.  They all had no backup bikes ready for the switch if it happened.

You can't just switch tires like that on a bike and be competitive.  The whole bike needs to be set up differently.

What I had read about this race before seeing it sounded like it was going to be boring since MM won with such a long lead.  I watched all 3 races and none of them were boring with the wet/dry conditions they ran in.  :huh:

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 02:22:08 AM »
I believe a wet race just means you can go in and switch bikes.  This year or last year there was a rider who started a wet race on slicks.

Rossi basically lost the race when MM pitted and it did not rain again.  I think Rossi stayed out the extra lap or two in case it would start to rain, really his only hope for victory.  MM skunked all the top riders by pitting after he fell back to 7th or so.  When he came out he was 10 seconds a lap up on the others.  So if Rossi pitted on his next go around he would already be 10 seconds down.  So the race was lost even then.

A gamble by MM, and a gamble by Rossi to stay out and see if rain came.  Rossi actually timed it pretty damn good, he was still able to claw back to 4th. 

It was sad to see Lorenzo pit and his bike was not ready.  I still think Lorenzo will likely win one race this year.  I like his quirky autistic personality.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
I'm with Arizona in thinking Honda planned to get off rain tires as soon as possible. Riders can feel the quality of the grip with a great deal of sensitivity which is why they are the best at the game. Marcus possibly chose the soft to give himself a lead at the beginning (didn't work as planned) but maybe he wanted to feel the tire go off to know when the track was dry enough to get on slicks (that part of the plan worked.... very well)

On the Moto2 race; I think Morbidelli got stuffed by the length of the sprint but the fun part was listening to Roberts and Gardener duke it out. Blast from the past. Anyone know if Roberts is from the dynasty?

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »

Strategy, planning? I think not. With all due respect.

All the others had to wait and see what 93's lap times were going to be before making the "go in" decision.

This is where we disagree...all teams COULD have made the same decision...but they all waited too long and by then it was too late, and some teams didn't even have a bike ready for their riders as mentioned above.  So that's what I mean by lack of strategy and planning...they all could have had a bike set up, they all could have dropped in to change bikes when Marquez did...but no one else was decisive enough to do it...

Victory to the first strike here for Marquez...certainly not a hollow or artificial victory, he made a conscious decision, the others dilly dallied too long and paid the price.  Such is racing!

Vamos Marquez!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:15:59 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »
If Rossi would have come in and changed a few laps earlier, he would have been on the podium at a minimum, maybe even challenging Pedrosa for second. His lap times late were very good, better than Mavericks. If only he had pitted when Maverick did.

And MM in the post race interview said something about the medium rain not working for him during the warm up being the reason he switched to softs before the final sighting lap. And they had the second bike ready to go on slicks at the start of the race. So what happened wasn't just luck, but having a good contingency plan at the ready, IMHO.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
Rossi lost the title in '15 for doing the same thing.  Leading the race but changing bikes too late.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »
Rossi was making the bikes go fast, both rain and slicks. Between the pit boards and dash communications, I blame Jarvis for letting it happen once again. The team has to be able to see what is happening and react better (that is unless I see that they were trying to get him to come in earlier). Gambling on the weather is what the lesser teams can do for a long shot.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »
I'm with Arizona in thinking Honda planned to get off rain tires as soon as possible. Riders can feel the quality of the grip with a great deal of sensitivity which is why they are the best at the game. Marcus possibly chose the soft to give himself a lead at the beginning (didn't work as planned) but maybe he wanted to feel the tire go off to know when the track was dry enough to get on slicks (that part of the plan worked.... very well)

On the Moto2 race; I think Morbidelli got stuffed by the length of the sprint but the fun part was listening to Roberts and Gardener duke it out. Blast from the past. Anyone know if Roberts is from the dynasty?

Joe Roberts is not related to the Kenny Dynasty, but the last 2 years he has been impressive in 600 races in Moto America.  And this race was his 1st race in Moto 2, where he started 29th on the grid and finished 4th?  I believe he has raced in Europe prior so maybe he isn't totally new to the tracks over there, but still........... :boozing:

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 01:50:16 AM »
Brno races available out West 4:30 to 7:30 pm tonight.  GP race is supposed to be last according to Bein channel.  What I've read about this race so far sounds like it's going to be boring.

Bein isn't carrying the whole season?     :shocked:
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:28 AM »
Bein isn't carrying the whole season?     :shocked:
I think AW means the last of the 3 races for that day.

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 07:47:42 AM »
I think AW means the last of the 3 races for that day.

heavy sigh of relief. thks!
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

Joe Roberts is not related to the Kenny Dynasty, but the last 2 years he has been impressive in 600 races in Moto America.  And this race was his 1st race in Moto 2, where he started 29th on the grid and finished 4th?  I believe he has raced in Europe prior so maybe he isn't totally new to the tracks over there, but still........... :boozing:
Roberts finished 10th. But considering some these guys have years of experience in the class, he has a bright future ahead.
 :1:
~ an aside: to hear some painful commentating listen to the Australian super bike series. One passing corner is called "bikersworld dot com dot au" Whoever allowed the sponsor to dictate using the full name of the corner should be forced to listen to every lap.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here