Author Topic: Some MC mags dying off ?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Some MC mags dying off ?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »
Yup, as I suspected Cycle World is now bi-monthly instead of monthly.  Got my January/February issue yesterday.   That's why they've been offering me to pay for 6 issues instead of 12 lately.  Are their staff all getting paid 1/2 now?  :undecided:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
I take Rider, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Road & Track, Car & Driver and (defunct) Sport Rider.

I usually flip through them one time and put them down.  I might read an article or two. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
Yup, as I suspected Cycle World is now bi-monthly instead of monthly.  Got my January/February issue yesterday.   That's why they've been offering me to pay for 6 issues instead of 12 lately.  Are their staff all getting paid 1/2 now?  :undecided:

Not so Wayne.  Cycle World is still a monthly, they have been doing this for years.  I just checked their web site and found this,
"Cycle World magazine is published monthly, except for a combined issue, January/February, that counts as 2 issues in your annual subscription. Savings percentage is based on the regular cover price of $5.99 in the U.S. Allow 4-6 weeks for your first issue to arrive. To learn more about our information policies, please read our Privacy Policy."
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
I must say, knowing this crowd like I do (or think I do) that there was only one mention of "RoadRider" (sic - I think that "RoadRunner" was meant) besides mine.

From the way most folks here ride and enjoy their bikes, I would have said that RoadRunner would have been the top choice of most people here.   Well-written articles, not as jam-packed with adverts as others, and about the kind of riding that very many of us do.

So, you learn something new every day here ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 11:10:25 AM »
Why would a Guzzi rider need a magazine when this forum is here?

Change the brand as appropriate and walla!

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »
Not so Wayne.  Cycle World is still a monthly, they have been doing this for years.  I just checked their web site and found this,
"Cycle World magazine is published monthly, except for a combined issue, January/February, that counts as 2 issues in your annual subscription. Savings percentage is based on the regular cover price of $5.99 in the U.S. Allow 4-6 weeks for your first issue to arrive. To learn more about our information policies, please read our Privacy Policy."

That doesn't make any sense to me, unless both the Jan. & Feb. CW issues are going to be even thinner than what I got a few days ago.  :huh:

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 02:10:21 PM »
I can only lead the horse to water Wayne.

Jan and Feb are always the slowest months in the industry, so they cut back and only put out one issue until March.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »
The paradigm is shifting yet again.

This website is an example.

I couldnt imagine how this site would fulfill a need prior to gore inventing the internet.

But yet, here I am. Quite happy.

Magazines? Nah.

love this web site
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 11:14:17 PM »
I can only lead the horse to water Wayne.

Jan and Feb are always the slowest months in the industry, so they cut back and only put out one issue until March.

My Jan. Rider issue is as thick as the Dec. issue was, both far thicker than my last 2 Cycle Worlds.  Me thinks it's hard for you to accept change, bad Chad.  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:29:39 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline JoeKirby

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »
I hadn't thought about print mags for years.  This inspired me to order Rider.  Maybe I just slowed the demise by one subscription.
My favorite rides:
1978 Triumph Bonneville
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2007 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Moto Guzzi V9
Beechcraft BE24R

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
RoadRider is now MCN, as I'm sure you know.
A shadow of it's former self right now.  If it recovers under the new guys (who took it down IMO) that would be great.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
I like Rider and subscribe to it too.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Some MC mags dying off?
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 03:16:38 AM »
If you're looking for better motorcycle magazines try BIKE and/or Motorcycle Sport and Leisure out of the UK.
You won't like the price until you get it every month.  Then you won't care.
I gave up on Bike when they stopped the Big Ogri cartoons, but Motorcycle Sport and Leisure has been my favourite motorcycle mag since the ‘70s. I’m saving this month’s edition to read on the Eurostar to Paris on Friday.

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
  After 34 years of renewing with CycleWorld I finally let it expire 2 years ago painlessly with a rant to the editor that was never published about how EVERY comparison that included a HD always had the HD as the winner no matter that is was slower, handled worse, etc.. *but had that HD feeling to it that marginalized all other empirical tests. Just let Motorcyclist mag fall away also with their only 6 issue, mostly ad and NO in depth tests or writing.  It was getting to be a glossy marketing catalog is all with a funny story or two every now and then. No thanks. I looked back at my old achieve of CW mc tests and they were much more hands on comprehensive then the age group they are catering to now..  Ya know - the millennials who have to Youtube what end of the screwdriver to use.
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Until a couple years ago I sub'd to Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Rider, MCN, Road Runner and Motorcycle Classics.

I dropped Rider and probably shouldn't have. At the time it was a virtual copy of Cycle World and Motorcyclist.

Cycle World sent me an issue that was more pics than text. (March 2016 issue). That was the end of that. They still send me issues. My first year long subscription was a free promo.

Motorcyclist will be the next to go if things don't improve. Six issues per year is only acceptable if it takes more than 30 minutes to read it. I read primarily for information not for entertainment. This is turning into some sort of lifestyle and entertainment thing which I have no use for.

My first issue of MCN contained a 12 page shoot-out on.... sun glasses. Seriously. This was a heavily discounted subscription due to some management transition. David Hough was good but dull. The subscription got a bit better towards the end but saw no point in re-upping it.

Road Runner. This was gifted to me by a friend for letting me store a bunch of his bikes in my shed. I just can't get into this one. I love riding and touring but never, ever read ride reports and that's the focus here. Solid mag though...if you're into ride reports.   

Motorcycle Classics. Love this! In depth writing. Highly detailed reviews on bikes I've never heard of. Excellent pics. Well worth the $30 for 6 issue cost. Reading about rebuilding an alternator on a bike I'll probably never own just never gets old. This magazine is a real gem.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 05:31:26 PM »
I just renewed Rider for four years for $24.  I don't see how they can even cover the postage for that price.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here