Author Topic: Finally, the Harley Davidson death rattle.....  (Read 30253 times)

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
Re: Finally, the Harley Davidson death rattle.....
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2018, 06:36:58 AM »
Preferred Chesterfields myself.
Equally extinct nowadays.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »
Are motorcycles even a thing on that campus?!?

At a guess 90% plus of the student base do not live on campus they commute one way or another.

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:15 AM »

You're not out of touch.  I also believe that Baby Boomers are driving the current "mid-size" motorcycle sales, despite what the makers' advertising would have you believe.

Most younger people are either just not interested in power sports, or can't afford it due to college debt and the choice to spend their time and money on media and phones.

I see some younger riders on "mid-size" motorcycles, but they're outnumbered. 

From what I've seen, Harley's "Street" line is mainly sold to girlfriends and wives of HD riders.  I don't see many young men on them.  I'm sure there are some, but the younger guys are always on Sportsters.

I agree with this statement in its entirety.  Younger people can't tell you how many cylinders a car has.  Most have no idea how to do maintenance on it and manufacturers are playing on this.  Look under the hood of a modern car and all you will see is a sheet of plastic.  BMW has even made the oil dipstick obsolete with computer oil monitoring.  Kids today are more interested in connectivity features of a vehicle than how many horsepower it has.
Up here in Canuckistan it is cold and snowy for the winter months so a motorcycle is essentially a luxury item.  Insurance is expensive and if you are a young new rider it is really expensive. Seen quotes for young riders in excess of $2000.   Hell most large displacement riders 60 years old with 40 years experience are paying in the $1000 range.  What young person with student loans. a mortgage and rent could afford this.  Heck, they would have to give up there cellphones and we know that is not going to happnen,
Cheers, Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
When the weather was nicer I rode a Triumph 650 to state college in western NY state during the 70's..A huge campus...Saw no other bikes...

I rode Yamaha 250, 305, 350 twin 2 strokes to college, work in the `60's in California year round.  :grin:   Saw a few other bikes in my college parking lots.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:24:59 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

I rode Yamaha 250, 305, 350 twin 2 strokes to college, work in the `60's in California year round.  :grin:   Saw a few other bikes.

Those few others you saw was only me.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here