Author Topic: Gold (colored) powder coat - experiences?  (Read 444 times)

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
Gold (colored) powder coat - experiences?
« on: March 22, 2022, 11:18:47 AM »
I have my 850-T emblems which I would like to get powder coated to a similar color as my new pin stripes.  The stripes happen to be a dull or tarnished gold and slightly metallic.

I stopped at a powder coat service company today to discuss the project.  The manager there tells me that gold is the absolutely worst color to powder coat as it is very sensitive to variations in thickness and other factors.  He said he will not powder coat colors in this range as he has been burnt in the past.  He went on to say anyone who says they can doesn't know...

Has anyone heard this about gold powder coat?  Any relevant experiences?

An aside, do the white pot-metal factory badges hold up to powder coat oven temps?

Thanks
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
Re: Gold (colored) powder coat - experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »
The finish I'm looking for isn't a high gloss shine.  More of a tarnished antique gold is what I'm after
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 12:08:41 PM »
Might try Ceracoate (not sure of spelling}. Some fire arms now use it and the gold looks like what you are wanting????

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:40:55 PM »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:40:55 PM »

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »
I had my wheels powder coated....I was shocked at the amount of color choices and sheens available.  Almost as many options as Lowe's paint department.

1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road Glide Special
2015 Harley Road King

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »
Look at the wheels on this R100. Someone, at some point, had them powder coated. It may have been when the bike was in California, which is where it originally sold.
I’ve only washed them with basic cleaner, like car wash stuff. They have a flat, matted look. Again, not sure how it was done.

I have my 850-T emblems which I would like to get powder coated to a similar color as my new pin stripes.  The stripes happen to be a dull or tarnished gold and slightly metallic.

I stopped at a powder coat service company today to discuss the project.  The manager there tells me that gold is the absolutely worst color to powder coat as it is very sensitive to variations in thickness and other factors.  He said he will not powder coat colors in this range as he has been burnt in the past.  He went on to say anyone who says they can doesn't know...

Has anyone heard this about gold powder coat?  Any relevant experiences?

An aside, do the white pot-metal factory badges hold up to powder coat oven temps?

Thanks
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 05:40:11 PM »
I have owned a powder coat shop for many years and have coated gold on a lot of items including motorcycle wheels and other motorcycle parts.  If you have a gold that is a polyester powder you will be fine.  If the gold is an epoxy then it will need a polyester clear coat on top whether it’s a matte or gloss clear.  I just coated a set of Ducati wheels in sun gold with a matte clear and they turned out great.  Now coating pot metal could create a problem because of outgassing from the metal during the curing process. 

Online Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 09:15:18 PM »
Groundhog,

Is there anything I could do prior to dropping my parts off to mitigate out gassing?  Maybe I pre bake the parts for a period of time or subject them to high vacuum?
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 02:49:54 PM »
Groundhog,

Is there anything I could do prior to dropping my parts off to mitigate out gassing?  Maybe I pre bake the parts for a period of time or subject them to high vacuum?

Yes, there is an anti gassing primer that can be used that will help or eliminate the outgassing. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here