Author Topic: Wearing Hi Viz  (Read 3132 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Wearing Hi Viz
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2022, 07:07:52 AM »
In some states, the headlight and tail light modulators are illegal and you bike will not pass inspection.

At least that was the case in VA quite a few years back.

I currently have one (installed by the previous owner) on one bike with a 3 position headlight switch.  High beam, low beam, and irritating flashing beam!

I'll put the high beam on for a limited amount of time during the day in high traffic density or similar situations where I think I might benefit from some increased conspicuity. But that's pretty rare. I'll also use the "weave" technique here and there for same situations as perceived/possible.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2022, 07:54:52 AM »
In some states, the headlight and tail light modulators are illegal and you bike will not pass inspection.

At least that was the case in VA quite a few years back.

I currently have one (installed by the previous owner) on one bike with a 3 position headlight switch.  High beam, low beam, and irritating flashing beam!

Head light modulators are legal in all US states, per federal law.  I’m not going to look it up for folks, but it’s simple to look up.

Brake light flashers are something else, I don’t know law on those.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2022, 08:07:04 AM »
Head light modulators are legal in all US states, per federal law.  I’m not going to look it up for folks, but it’s simple to look up.

Brake light flashers are something else, I don’t know law on those.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-headlight-modulators/

(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section.

Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108.

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment – S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a
lesser intensity, provided that:

* The rate of modulation shall be 240 ±40 cycles per minute.
* The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
* The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
* The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
* Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
* The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
* When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
* Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2

1 Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum
wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

2 Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

https://www.hupy.com/news/are-you-breaking-the-law-for-safety-.cfm

There may be no over-riding federal statute allowing brake light modulators and it may vary by state, assuming that link is up to date (looks like that was 2017). But my initial search isn't hitting on much more information.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »
Everyone keeps saying white helmets, but I wear a bright yellow Shoei...  Are ya'll saying white is higher visibility than yellow???  I find that hard to believe.

The yellow was my one concession to hi-vis since I have a black/grey bike and usually wear black leather or navy waxed cotton on the bike.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2022, 09:22:52 PM »
In 50 years of riding I have had 1 close call. Driver from a side road saw the Harley coming up the hill on his left, decided he could beat it to cross the main road. I was to his right, coming down the hill. Braking franticly sound horn I got lucky and found the escape route. First and only time I thought I might be dead soon on a motorcycle. Never considered dressing up like a modern BMW rider.

As for high vis outfits, I think they might be handy if you are lying in the road at night.

Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2022, 10:18:42 PM »
The only things drivers see are potential threats, something they desire, or potential people to mate with.
 If someone doesn’t acknowledge your presence, it’s because they don’t perceive it to be in their interests to do so.
Maybe if we all carried a weapon and rode around naked with a bag on the back labelled with a $ sign.
There’s something they’re scared of, desire and want to get to know.

Otherwise ?
It’s just a matter of time, but you might be lucky and die before someone kills you…..Bonus !

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2022, 07:13:42 PM »
Riding to work an hour and half ago had a naer miss on the griso a suv almost took me out as they were entering a traffic circle here in melbourne fl i was wearing Hi viz Jacket and gloves and white helmet and 5heu still didnt see me but my horn got their attenion my experience hi viz works 50% the rest is ride like you're invisible which i believe saved me tonight as i had escape route and luckily no one in the center lan3 of cicle . Every one have a happy thanksgiving

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here