Author Topic: Bevel Drive Bolts  (Read 4229 times)

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
Re: Bevel Drive Bolts
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2022, 01:36:53 PM »

That's not when it would leak.

what would you suggest to test it?

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2022, 10:59:58 PM »
There is a procedure in the maintenance manual to pressurize the box. I'm camped about 30 miles north of Wonewoc so I have limited internet. It would leak when it is at operating temp and pressure with the seal assembly in a dynamic condition. Just get the shim pack exactly as it was and run it. If you fill it with oil you will make it hard to paint.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2022, 04:23:16 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  i am quite a while off sorting paint etc.  i will reassemble as all the gaskets and shims came off and when i get to the point of a test fit for everything, as it is having quite a few modifications, i will take the bike out and monitor how the bevel drive is in terms of leaks or any other nasty surprises.  if all is okay i can get on with paint etc.  cheers.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2022, 12:50:37 AM »
Just re-reading this and I don't think I see anyone mentioning this. Some smallblocks have a vent/filler on  top.  it is vital this is free.  It was Sign 216 that first brought it to my attention 150 years ago, and mine was blocked literally from new.  A good solvent degreaser should do the job.  Although mine hadn't started leaking, now, after a good long 500km ride I now find a faint oil mist around it.  If blocked it can pressurize the rear end and encourage oil past the seal
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2022, 12:50:37 AM »

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2022, 07:59:07 AM »
Thanks Muzz...mine has that vent/filler and i will ensure it is able to do its job.  cheers.

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
I am just waiting on a couple of parts before buttoning up the bevel drive.  Given that I have had to clean it thoroughly to ensure no tiny tiny metal bits interfere with its running, does the large bearing (U in the relevant workshop manual diagram) need to be repacked with any grease?  same goes for the roller bearing on the hollow shaft?  thanks

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2022, 03:53:32 PM »
Nope.

Offline remfanuk

• New Egg
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2023, 11:31:43 AM »
That's how my V50 III came from the factory: gasket/shim/gasket/shim/gasket. I use sealer (Permatex 300) and have no problem getting them back apart.

finally at a point whereby the joining of the cases is going to happen.  i ordered a gasket set and it came with three gaskets in it.  would this suggest that it should be gasket/shim/gasket/shim/gasket to avoid a metal shim to metal casing scenario?  thanks.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here