Author Topic: Utah HD dealers in hot water.  (Read 1887 times)

Offline actwin

• New Egg
Utah HD dealers in hot water.
« on: May 19, 2022, 04:51:18 PM »
Four Utah HD dealers are in trouble for selling and installing  exhausts that are illegal on roads. Look it up for details.

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
Re: Utah HD dealers in hot water.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 06:34:28 PM »
Four Utah HD dealers are in trouble for selling and installing  exhausts that are illegal on roads. Look it up for details.

LOL

First rule of aftermarket exhaust; Don't talk about aftermarket exhaust.

One dealership I worked for had to replace nearly 400 sets of mufflers on *Police Department Units* when some jackwagon complained. That was way back in the '90s.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:25:11 PM »
Hopefully this is the start of a trend.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:52 PM »
It says right on the pipe: "For off road use only."  That shouldn't be too much of a stretch in Utah, of all places.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:52 PM »

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 08:47:05 PM »
You’re thinking of a Heritage Ultra with knobbiess?

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 08:52:40 PM »
So you buy new mufflers for your whatever bike. They conform per the MFGr to stock specs. BUT, they state not for road use, off road only.

That would suck if some one wants to push the off road use only.

How many are running MAC mufflers or the like. I don't think they are street legal. Could be wrong???

This could be a can of worms,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »
This isn’t so much about the mufflers as it is seemingly about the dealers defeating pollution devices. The mufflers and increased noise seems to just be an add on.

Salt Lake City often has some of the worst air quality on the PLANET.  This group of doctors was the same bunch that successfully went after the clowns from the TV show Diesel Brothers. They’re local to SLC.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:13:53 AM by Frulk »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 08:47:05 AM »
You’re thinking of a Heritage Ultra with knobbiess?

The popular Hare and Hound motorcycle events prior to the british (bike) invasion were populated with hardtail frame HD knuckleheads & similar USA bikes.  Some riders would bend or partially collapse the front downtubes of a frame to change the steering geometry without cutting the frame.  Numerous times we discussed whether or not we could get a modern version of such an event going in conjunction with our motorcycle rally & restrict it to old USA built bikes, possibly including later softtail frames.   We never connected enough of the dots to make it happen.   

In fact, the cartooned motorcycle ride artwork/icon we used for our event came from a former HD dealer's T-Shirt who was involved in those exact Hare & Hound events in the southeastern USA back in the late 40's-early 50's.  Cool stuff.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Road Rocket

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 12:01:24 PM »

Rough Edge Racing with a new name but still the same pin head

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 07:53:14 PM »
BUBs and Agostini's etc. are loud, but not anywhere near as loud as the straight pipes some of these HD guys run. Tuner import cars have also become a nuisance. All it takes is a few really bad apples.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 09:28:24 AM »
 Since about 2006 or so model year, both on and offroad motorcycle atv and snowmachines have been targets of EPA regs.  that have been the norm for car and trucks a lot longer. for the most part till now it has been ignored(knowingly tampering with an emissions control device is a federal crime). what is a common mod. on earlier (than 2006*) machines is increasingly not but hard to detect without inspection, which is becoming increasingly more common in some states. would like to have a link to an article about this case if you have one.
back in the early 90's I took an IM certification class (i was in diesel school...the class was free) these machines connect directly to a central monitoring facility (to prevent tampering and gather data) the first time a vehicle type starts failing the test is an anomaly..joe shade tree did it not me! but when groups of vehicles flunk questions get asked. is also the reason MFGs are making it harder to change mapping on newer machines especially after the VW diesel scandal, would hate to have WGers outed for a too good beetlemap !
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 09:43:08 AM by aklawok »
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 12:08:52 PM »
You wonder why Moto America, the sanctioning body that took over from the AMA for roadracing in America, has a "Bagger" class? It is so the manu's cannot get sued for creating off road only/racing mufflers for baggers...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 01:00:30 PM »
- Mid 90's - 5.0 Mustang's with flow master exhausts and sport bikes with 2" long mufflers.
- Mid/late 90's to mid 2000's - was the Harley missing idle screw era where the throttles constantly had to be blipped from 1 RPM to redline over and over while they sat still. Then when the light changed shift only at redline.
- Mid 2000's to latter 2000's was tuner cars with 6" shorty mufflers
- Mid 2010's to current - coal rolling bro dozers with 12" diameter exhaust pipes and turbos that whine at 20 million RPM's
- Currently a new group of turbo cars running 1,000 PSI of boost that 99.9825% of it is ejected out the waste gate with every shift sounding like and AK-47 being fired in 3 round bursts.

And then there's the 10-4 good buddies in their 18 wheelers  that can clearly see the traffic light for a 1/2 mile but are instant on using their Jake brake at 2:30am when there is not a sole on the road and everyone is/was sleeping.

Ain't it the truth! Good synopsis.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline actwin

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 06:08:21 PM »
You wonder why Moto America, the sanctioning body that took over from the AMA for roadracing in America, has a "Bagger" class? It is so the manu's cannot get sued for creating off road only/racing mufflers for baggers...
I don't think that's true, it's to bring in the biker crowd which means more money. The same thing AMA Pro racing did with 883's back in the day. Motoamerica is the promotor, the AMA still sanctions the races.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 06:12:19 PM »
So you buy new mufflers for your whatever bike. They conform per the MFGr to stock specs. BUT, they state not for road use, off road only.

That would suck if some one wants to push the off road use only.

How many are running MAC mufflers or the like. I don't think they are street legal. Could be wrong???

This could be a can of worms,
Tom

Those 400 factory mufflers had to come off.  So shouldn't be an issue getting them back on. 

Something about the whole deal makes no sense.  Why put on aftermarket pipes in the first place?  With tax money?  (not political comment, Mr Mod)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 07:54:59 PM »
Getting them back on.... Maybe not. Probably sold as Take Off parts.

Why do you change them.... Because aftermarket look/sounds/performs soo cool. Same reason you change a Guzzi muffler.

On the vintage.... Go ahead, find a set of factory mufflers for my Eldo or Ambo or my '53 Triumph. Maybe a set of new old stock for my EVT????? My Harley, maybe Harley has new factory mufflers for my 2007??

All I'm trying to say. Is that if someone wants to try to conform to a factory stock muffler. You may need to go aftermarket because factory is no longer available. It would suck if you had to scrap your bike because you can't get the factory ones.

Now straight pipes are a whole different issue. Not going there for any bike from whatever country.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 12:44:04 AM »
 Manufactures of new motor vehicles are required to stock replacement parts for 10 years (think is correct). these parts are usually, not as quality as was originally equipped, so replacement pipes for a new bike are not the issue. would still like to see some info on this case...aftermarket parts are okay for a dealer to install as long as they meet the original specs. Its when "cheaters" are put on that SHTF! again being FEDERALY ILLIGAL to do.
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 08:37:15 AM »

I tell you what.  You want to start these noise threads, YOU provide the links.

These types of posts are stupid and annoying.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Redrider

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 08:52:53 AM »
All of my bikes have road legal aftermarket exhausts. Yes, they have a bit more volume than stock but still, road legal per USDOT stampings in the metal. The dress-up pirates though, seem to think it is necessary to run those open straight ones for safety. When I ran the MSF program, anyone who showed up with opens was sent home. The personal bikes had to be street legal. If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 02:34:14 PM »
I personally like to indulge in a bit of social commentary and observe human nature from a safe distance Rock.

Offline actwin

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »
I tell you what.  You want to start these noise threads, YOU provide the links.

From now on I'll keep it to myself. Everyone else can go about their business with their head in the sand.

Offline Road Rocket

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 03:54:52 PM »
 Our granson is making excellent money.. He bought a new Ford F250 Diesel last year and did a "delete" on emissions including the piss tank. 5 inch exhaust with a noticable sound, modifid ECU...No more rolling coal, the exhaust looks clear at high power levels...4 wheel drive truck like that weighs around 6500 pounds empty, jump on pedal and just pull away from stuff like stock turbo cars like a Subaru...

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 03:58:55 PM »
From now on I'll keep it to myself. Everyone else can go about their business with their head in the sand.

Friend, you DID keep it to yourself.  That's my point.   :rolleyes:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Road Rocket

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »
Pass everything but a fuel station and with a 37 to 48 gallon capacity probably a huge hole in his wallet.
Yes, and the same statement was made to me 50 years ago with modified muscle cars... :laugh:   And again to those who spend big bucks on fancy bikes...

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 06:34:02 PM »
All of my bikes have road legal aftermarket exhausts. Yes, they have a bit more volume than stock but still, road legal per USDOT stampings in the metal. The dress-up pirates though, seem to think it is necessary to run those open straight ones for safety. When I ran the MSF program, anyone who showed up with opens was sent home. The personal bikes had to be street legal. If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

What do you dress up as?  Tomb raider?  Power Ranger?  Marlon Brando?  Cowboy?  We all dress up as something when we ride, even if it is lady godiva.

I've watched enough pirate movies to wonder exactly what you are talking about.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2022, 01:35:44 AM »
From now on I'll keep it to myself.
Please don’t do that mate.
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else’s.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here