Author Topic: V7 III Rear sets  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
V7 III Rear sets
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »
So I know there already exists a thread regarding this but I figured maybe now that it's 2019 and some time has passed since said thread posting it might be ok to bring this up again, see what's out on the market now etc. So basically, I'm planning on getting a new Stone this year and if you caught my last thread, you know I want to throw Tarozzi clip ons on it, and based on my experience with my 850T I fear I'll feel too cramped with a low bar and stock foot controls, and am thusly entertaining the idea of getting rear sets.

I will note that I don't want a full on super sport seating position, but something athletic that would fall in between that and the standard upright position that comes with the stock bar and footrests. Something that'll look sporty but still be comfortable for close to all day riding type deal. So far I know only of the SATO variety and the OEM racer rear sets. The SATO's claim to be adjustable which I like the idea of but I've also read the racer rear sets are comfortable but pricey obviously. I've never so much as sat on a bike with rear sets so it doesn't help I don't have frame of reference for what exactly I like, but I do know I don't want my feet as far forwards as the stock footrests provide and yet also not super far back to where I'm laying down on the tank.

Being 6 foot even and weighing 170lbs currently, would I find myself comfortable on either of these? What's your experience? Does SATO make a quality product? Are there other products out there?
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 III Rear sets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
Try Agostini Mandello - they did make some for the earlier V7s, virtual duplicates of the Racer rear sets. I've heard that LSL may make a version for the III.

Tarozzi & others make multi adjustable versions of their clip ons. Minor adjustments make a large difference in riding comfort. I use a Laverda style multi adjustable bar from Raask on the V7 C - & with the Racer rear sets, very happy. Took some work to get it right - tweak the adjustment, ride 500km, repeat until perfect.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Andy1

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
Clip ons / rearsets are only comfortable at speed when the wind takes your weight.  Around town / riding slow you may find that you get pressure points on your groin that you really do not want....and looking around at junctions is more difficult.   How far back you want the footrests is personal taste - best get the bike, ride it as standard and with clip ons, check you like the clip ons then work out where to put your feet.  The good news is that the passenger footrests on the V7 are quite far back so should still be OK if you carry a passenger.
Worth getting rearsets that fold - some are solid
AndyB

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »
Clip ons / rearsets are only comfortable at speed when the wind takes your weight.  Around town / riding slow you may find that you get pressure points on your groin that you really do not want....and looking around at junctions is more difficult.   How far back you want the footrests is personal taste - best get the bike, ride it as standard and with clip ons, check you like the clip ons then work out where to put your feet.  The good news is that the passenger footrests on the V7 are quite far back so should still be OK if you carry a passenger.
Worth getting rearsets that fold - some are solid
AndyB

I definitely, definitely plan on riding the thing with the stock bar as well as the clip ons before I even order any rear sets. It would be hard for me to set aside that many hours I could be riding to set all of that up in one swoop  :cheesy: I hadn't even thought about the passenger pegs, I definitely can't give those up. This is exactly why I like doing my homework months in advance, it would be right up my alley to order up some sets just to discover they're incompatible with the passenger pegs to whatever degree right as I go to install them  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
I prefer to set the riding position up so there in NO weight on the wrists ( or at least, only minimal) - I've been trained by the 1100 Sport. The weight is taken by the feet, thighs & stomach, and a little on the seat. The arms can dangle freely. The spine (back & neck) are in a straight line while looking at the road ahead ( so there's no back pains at the end of a long day). I've got it to work for me. Andy1 is right about the head turns at intersections, though - have to take extra care there, sit back & up to check. Exercise to keep the neck rotation supple helps, especially as we age. While better on sealed roads for me, the riding position is not the best on gravel - doable, but not as comfortable there.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »
i put the LSLs on my V7ii before i changed to the Speed bar.  I always found the foot pegs to be too far forward, and these move your feet back 3 inches, and only 5/8 inches up.  The 5/8" rise doesn't bother me at all, but I am only 5'-8" tall.  I like the way the bike shifts with these.  Good quality too.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:41:51 AM »
Just a note to remind everyone that the foot controls are different on the V7III than the V7II and earlier models.

They are physically a different design and they are further from the top of the frame/seat/tank.

I can't say if anything made for earlier models would work/be compatible but also the difference in rider triangle might change the need/desire too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »
Just a note to remind everyone that the foot controls are different on the V7III than the V7II and earlier models.

They are physically a different design and they are further from the top of the frame/seat/tank.

I can't say if anything made for earlier models would work/be compatible but also the difference in rider triangle might change the need/desire too.

Correct, notably LSL and Agostini have yet to come up with anything for a V7 III to the best of my internet researching, their listings on AF1 under the V7 II stuff clearly state that those particular sets won't work on a III due to "Rear brake master cylidner is different, rear brake line is different, rearset bolt position is different, et cetera."

I also just realized that a Jota style bar might work better for me than the clip ons, as I had failed to remember the top triple tree has to come off in order to fit them, and I definitely won't be in the mood to fight a steering head bearing loose anytime soon, I still have unfond flashbacks of doing that with the 850T. Guess I could lift the bike and loosen the trees enough, undo the caliper and move the forks down a few inches momentarily to slide the clip ons on, but meh.

I still have time to think about it, input is welcome. Likely will wait till I own the bike and can paw it over for myself to see exactly what I'm working with

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
I also just realized that a Jota style bar might work better for me than the clip ons, as I had failed to remember the top triple tree has to come off in order to fit them, and I definitely won't be in the mood to fight a steering head bearing loose anytime soon, I still have unfond flashbacks of doing that with the 850T. Guess I could lift the bike and loosen the trees enough, undo the caliper and move the forks down a few inches momentarily to slide the clip ons on, but meh.

Yeah, I was gonna say no reason to pull the clamp you should be able to drop the forks assuming a lift, jack, winch, or centerstand....
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
Yeah, I was gonna say no reason to pull the clamp you should be able to drop the forks assuming a lift, jack, winch, or centerstand....

I was hoping so, certainly wouldn't be my first time doing that to a bike lol I may just go with the tarozzis after all

Offline guinzomoto

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 09:39:57 PM »

Cheap solution to rear sets.  I bought a 2021 V7 stone but like my feet back a bit farther.  For Japanese bikes I have been able to find adjustable pegs that fit in stock holders on eBay but nothing is listed for guzzi.  Just so happens that the set for a 2009 Hayabusa fits the v7 perfectly. there are multiple versions of pegs and adjustment differences.  For my bike I chose the "touring" peg which is also comes with bolt on toothed inserts for off road.  Angle height etc are multiple adjustable. I believe the v7 III has the same peg brackets as the new v7.  It is 40 mm wide with an 8 mm bolt (I prefer bolts to pins and clips)  Cost is $50-80 depending on style of peg.

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 05:19:04 AM »
I have made note of this valuable information, thank you!  I used M-Factory adjustable pegs on my Yamaha FZ/MT07 then swapped them over to my Nevada.

Sarah
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 05:27:40 AM by greer »
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 06:13:35 AM »

Cheap solution to rear sets.  I bought a 2021 V7 stone but like my feet back a bit farther.  For Japanese bikes I have been able to find adjustable pegs that fit in stock holders on eBay but nothing is listed for guzzi.  Just so happens that the set for a 2009 Hayabusa fits the v7 perfectly. there are multiple versions of pegs and adjustment differences.  For my bike I chose the "touring" peg which is also comes with bolt on toothed inserts for off road.  Angle height etc are multiple adjustable. I believe the v7 III has the same peg brackets as the new v7.  It is 40 mm wide with an 8 mm bolt (I prefer bolts to pins and clips)  Cost is $50-80 depending on style of peg.

Those are interesting, but I will say that the SATO Racing Rear Sets transformed my V7III.  So much more comfortable than the OEM position for me. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline guzzi771

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
I got Sato rear sets on my VIII they are good but I don't like the fact that the pegs don't fold up or have a rubber coat .

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 04:03:20 PM »
I got Sato rear sets on my VIII they are good but I don't like the fact that the pegs don't fold up or have a rubber coat .

I thought I would not like the pegs, but have had zero issues with them.  I do have to wear sport or sport touring  boots with them instead of my adventure style boots,  but not a big deal unless  I just parked the adventure bike and want to hop on the V7 and go.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 07:04:32 PM »

Link??
If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here