Author Topic: 2014 Moto Guzzi California Custom  (Read 1416 times)

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
2014 Moto Guzzi California Custom
« on: May 09, 2022, 07:02:36 PM »
I have a chance to purchase a 2014 1400 California Custom with 1347 miles on the clock for $4K the owner did not try to start the machine. He said inside the fuel tank was dirty and the bike sat outside for a while and needs to be cleaned up. I love the old EV's and I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I know a guy who has a 1400 Touring and he loves it said it was the best bike Moto Guzzi ever made. I heard it was a punched out 1100 Motor with oil cooled heads, that is all I know about the 1400's.  Any opinions? Anything to look for? Anybody have a custom have any comments, good, bad or indifferent.

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
Re: 2014 Moto Guzzi California Custom
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 08:51:20 PM »
I have a chance to purchase a 2014 1400 California Custom with 1347 miles on the clock for $4K the owner did not try to start the machine. He said inside the fuel tank was dirty and the bike sat outside for a while and needs to be cleaned up. I love the old EV's and I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I know a guy who has a 1400 Touring and he loves it said it was the best bike Moto Guzzi ever made. I heard it was a punched out 1100 Motor with oil cooled heads, that is all I know about the 1400's.  Any opinions? Anything to look for? Anybody have a custom have any comments, good, bad or indifferent.

I had a 2014 Custom.  Really good bike but it is definitely not a punched out 1100.  The 1400 is an 8 valve motor with an oil cooler and single throttle body.  The head is duel plugged but not any more oil cooled than any of the two or 8 valve motors.  I saw this add on Facebook and if it wasn’t so far away would have jumped on it.  Having sat outside that long and the tank dirty inside and not running it’s kind of a crapshoot as to what your getting into but that’s a good price to take a chance.

Offline dte8dom

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:30:04 PM »
I’ve had a custom for 6 years now that I got brand new. It’s been a very solid, reliable bike. For $4k it’s a chance I’d be willing to take. Obviously drain the all the old fuel and maybe be prepared to clean the injectors also. Mechanically the 1400s seem stout, the only things that I hear about are electrical gremlins. Most sound like minor issues that can be resolved if you know what to look for and how to troubleshoot. Throttle position sensor seems to be common. Knock on wood I’ve been lucky in that I haven’t had any issues. The 1400s are kinda polarizing bikes even among the guzzi crowd, you either love them or hate them. I’m a lover. Out of all the bikes I’ve owned in 40+ years of riding this bike is in my top 5, maybe top 2.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »
I just recently traded my 1400 Audace for lighter rmore manageable bike. I loved the bike but I had to move on due to age issues. The other 1400s have different frame geometry so are easier to handle. Lots of power, so so fuel mileage, 40 mpg on mine. Lots of valve clatter at idle as well as shaking but these disappear as rpm inreases.The TPS on the 2014s could be a problem, cured in '16 I believe. At that price I would take a chance depending on physical appearance. I wish I had gotten an Eldorado instead which I could have probably ridden for a few more years.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 06:41:54 PM »
TPS issue cured in 2017 and later 1400's

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 07:42:32 PM »
The fuel must be less than 8 years old, i'll bet it would fire right up LOL
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Boynextdoor

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 01:35:19 AM »
I’ve had a custom for 6 years now that I got brand new. It’s been a very solid, reliable bike. For $4k it’s a chance I’d be willing to take. Obviously drain the all the old fuel and maybe be prepared to clean the injectors also. Mechanically the 1400s seem stout, the only things that I hear about are electrical gremlins. Most sound like minor issues that can be resolved if you know what to look for and how to troubleshoot. Throttle position sensor seems to be common. Knock on wood I’ve been lucky in that I haven’t had any issues. The 1400s are kinda polarizing bikes even among the guzzi crowd, you either love them or hate them. I’m a lover. Out of all the bikes I’ve owned in 40+ years of riding this bike is in my top 5, maybe top 2.
It's a great price. How much does maintenance cost? I mean that it's hard to imagine from the start if you're a fan of DIY stuff. Welders(like mine) and other equipment hits the pocket... 
Thank you for sharing 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:45:18 PM by Boynextdoor »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here