Author Topic: Norge side stand problem!  (Read 21701 times)

danr

Re: Norge side stand problem!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »
I just got back from a two week trip and I wanted to check in on this topic. During my trip I think I lost the side stand bold that is recessed in to the large hole. I was able to secure the upper bolt with a ball headed hex wrench I could slide in over the header. I wonder if anyone has managed to replaced the lower without removing the header and the related plastic. It doesn't look possible, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve. Thanks.

There was some one who cut down an allen wrench and was able to insert one end in the bolt and use an open end wrench around the allen wrench stub to tighten it up. The lower bolt will not come out completely without removing the header, which is what I did because I wanted to coat the bolt with some loctite and install a wave lock washer. Removing the header is not a big deal. Just have a spare header gasket handy. 

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Eric

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »
Thanks. I'll get at it soon.
07 Norge
15 BMW F 800 R (Lori's bike)
2016 Ural Patrol
13 Triumph Bonnie w/sidecar
Moorhead, Minnesota

Gone: 2005 Ural, 2011 Ural, 2003 EV, 2005 750 Breva

Offline Breva01748

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
For my 2007 Norge --  I used an m12-1.75x40 hex cap with a lock washer & locktite blue.  The extra length was not a problem (wonder if I could have gone to a 45?) and I'm hoping the extra 5 will give me more grip.  With it all buttoned up (headpipe, etc), it is possible to fit an end wrench in there for emergency tightening, should it be necessary (but I'm unlikely to carry a 19mm end wrench; would hope to borrow or buy one in an emergency).

I was never able to find the fabled second bolt --- there is a bolt into the rubber thingie, which is very flexible.  There's also a bolt deep inside the indentation between the two bolts; never did figure out its purpose.

Did tighten to 90nm (just under 60 ft/pounds).

Hope this helps somebody ....

-BobSchenot

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »

pcbiwer

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »
The same problem for me; bought a used Norge with 7800 miles; at 10,000, the same bolt is gone and the side stand is floppy.  Do you have any info on the replacement bolt part #?  I'll modify an Allen wrench to get the short bolt tight again.  Good candidate for Locktite.

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
And Guzzi puts Loktite on the alternator covers of the new V7s!  ??? ??? ::)
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »
I rolled in to the national rally last year with bungee cords holding up one side of my centerstand on my Breva 1100. I've had the side stand bolts come loose also. In fact, I plan on removing my exhaust tonight and putting red Loctite on my side stand bolts.
North Carolina

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
Loctite has a thread retaining fluid that will wick down the threads so there is no need to undo the bolt. I can't remember the number but it is very thin. You only need to get it to the thread join.
#290 green stuff not very strong though in comparison, as long as it is apart the red stuff is the way to go
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 03:02:24 AM »
I took the exhaust loose tonight on my Breva 1100. Booth bolts on the side stand were loose. In the past, I had loosened the top bolt as much as I could and I dripped blue Loctite down around the bolt and tightened it up. I had also used blue Loctite on the bottom bolt. This time, I coated both bolts with red Loctite. Hopefully, that will get me to Canada and back next week without my side stand falling off.
North Carolina

Eric Plante

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
Hi, same thing happened last w-e with my 2011 Norge side stand with 21000km ( about 12000 miles) on the clock. I going to the dealer this afternoon to get it fixed. I dont want to mess with it cause I need my bike ready for the MG Rally in Ontario next week.   >:(

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29:32 AM »
Lost one of the center stand bolts on a ride when my '09 Norge had about 2,000 miles on it. Found a replacement bolt at the local ACE store; blue locktited it down. After reading this thread, I kept an eye on the side stand. Now, after 36K miles, the side stand bolts are still snug. However, once winter approaches here, I'll pull the exhaust system and secure the side stand bolts.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

deputydog

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »

The same thing happend to Me . At a gas pump in Woodland wash. abouy 180 miles from home . I put the side stand down
                                  om my 2007 Breva 1100 and it leaned over so far it scared Me . I rode all the way home without stopping , didn't want it to
                                  have it fall on its side .
                                    Called the dealer (MI) who ordered replacement bolts and a side stand , which took several weeks to arrive . Although the
                                 bike was still under warranty Moto Guzzi didn't take responsabillity for their screwup . I guess it was My fault for using the
                                 side stand . The next 10,000 miles or so that I owned it , no side stand probs. That tells Me its Gweedo was not doing his job!!!
                                    So don't fell like the Lone Ranger.
                                                                 Dan

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
What the hell is it with Guzzi and side stands, one of the most basic necessities on any motorcycle.  Heck read the postings of Breva 750 owners like myself about having the sides stand deploy at will and shut off the engine due to the safety interlock.  I rode from Redding CA back to San Francisco 250 miles or so perfecting the art of kicking the dam thing back into place every 2-3 minutes.  I know bungee cord, etc, but if this silly basic component can't be engineered to just f*ing work across many different models of our beloved brand, no wonder loving a Guzzi is tough love.  Oh yeah think  I got it fixed with new spring, loctite and regular lube.

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
Mine did the same thing about a year into owning it. I did recover the one bolt that fell out, and the dealer made it well after dropping the exhaust for access.

One thing I've learned after two years with my Norge: don't sweat loose fasteners and oil leaks. They just do that. My mechanic points out that they don't use Locktite and if they use lockwashers at all they aren't very well designed. I've also had the nuts holding the headers to the heads come loose (clue: the John Deere sound) and bought a 24" socket extension to tighten them up periodically.

The other thing to get used to is waiting for parts. My Norge has been laid up for about four weeks now waiting for parts.

If it makes you feel better, by all means write to MGNA. If you expect them to care, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Actually, if you think they're going to do something about an event that occurred six years ago, even better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:59:01 PM by nikwax »
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

sgtt

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
Side stand on my 2011 was really loose.  Removed the header, applied red to both of the bolts, and tightened them down.  The stand now hits the bottom of the foot peg.  Any thoughts?

Offline Gini Fata

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
I had to use my centre stand for a couple days which was a bitch. Got it fixed in West Virginia. Cost me 2 hours labour but i was happy to get it done at a metric place.  Good people. Tri County Honda in Petersburg. I had checked it before i left to boot. 2012 norge 40km

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:50 AM »
Side stand on my 2011 was really loose.  Removed the header, applied red to both of the bolts, and tightened them down.  The stand now hits the bottom of the foot peg.  Any thoughts?

Not a good use of red loctite ?
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »

Stock footpegs or aftermarket, lowered, footpegs?

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »
I'm going to revive this rather than start a new thread about the same topic.

My '07 Norge (M112506) has this issue as well.  I've have the Nord-Lock washers installed but the bolts still back out.  Fortunately, they seem to stay in place just about as long as the oil change intervals.  Still annoying.

So, any new thoughts?  Nord-Lock, blue Loctite, 80Nm of torque are what I'm currently using.

Thanks,

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
A very common occurance. I had lost the 12mm bolt on the 1200S and the other was still captured by the headpipe. Probably more difficult on a Norge with it's tupperware, but the 1200S has the easiest to remove headpipe ever. Maybe because it is still fairly new and not some crysted up 30 yr old p.o.s.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2015, 02:21:01 AM »
Somewhere, some time ago, I read on a Guzzi forum or Guzzi section on a forum(I'm guessing) that the exhaust heat may break down Locktite and that Liquid Gasket 1198 should be used for the sidestand or centerstand bolts. I put a note in my phone to get some but of course I keep forgetting. I wish I could remember where I read that tip.
North Carolina

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here