Author Topic: California 1400 Security Options  (Read 1190 times)

Offline et18

• Hatchling
California 1400 Security Options
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »
I'm wondering how other 1400 owners secure their bikes?  I've read several reports of people saying the OEM alarm / immobilizer failed and left them stranded.  Now I've read on another site where at least 3 people are saying the ignition switch fails if you use the fork lock, something about an internal spring coming undone and losing continuity.  How many 1400 owners here have actually had either system fail?  I'm continuing to use the fork lock but I'm just a little uneasy about it.

Before I bought the bike I read that the crossover pipes were breaking on most bikes by 6K and that seems to be grossly overstated, I'm hoping this is the same thing.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
Re: California 1400 Security Options
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
I use the fork lock and have never had a problem.  Other than that my security is my insurance policy.  If someone wants it bad enough they will get it.

Offline Kjon

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:33:06 AM »
15k on mine & never had a problem with either the alarm, steering lock or the balance pipe.
Forums are always disproportionately biased towards problems. Few start a new topic with 'Hey, no problems here'
Worrying about things that might happen only spoils the enjoyment.
Ride it till it breaks & then fix it.

Jon

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
12K with no trouble on mine.

If you're concerned, get yourself a disc lock. I have one but use it very seldom. I took an old key chain on a piece of leather shoe string that I hang around the mirror stem to cover the starter button. I put a bright yellow piece of tape on it to get my attention. That way, I don't forget to remove the disc lock before trying to ride off.

John Henry

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »

Lcarlson

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
Also 12000 miles, no problems.

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »
No problem with the fork lock or ignition but the crossover on mine broke at about 4,000 miles.  I believe that the crossover issue was a problem with the earlier production models due to insufficient gusseting. 
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
Ride it till it breaks & then fix it...

This is great advice! I heartily agree.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
Mine has 23,500 miles.  I did have the ignition switch go out on mine.  I took it apart, found the offending issue. Fixed it, and no more issues.  2 of the wires had arced to each other and caused it to short out. 

I found the procedure to disable the "automatic" arming of the immobilizer and alarm, so that I don't have to disarm every time I start the bike.  I can still arm the alarm with a push of the button, but for my needs I much prefer this method.  I can easily see being stranded from a dead battery on the fob and have NO desire to experience that. 

My bike is kept in my garage, at my home.  When touring, I will arm the alarm and do have a disc lock for both the 1400 and the Stelvio.

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
Thanks, guys, all good advice above.  Even if either system would fail it sounds like the fix is pretty easy, the PIA would be getting it home to my garage.  I haven't rode in two days due the remnants of Irma passing through Ohio, but when I park my bike at work tomorrow I'm going to set the alarm and the fork lock, just because.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
Wish I could give credit to who posted this, but was past on to me;

I have performed it and it works great, use the alarm manually when you want it.

Moto GUzzi California 1400 Alarm Fob disable
The procedure to disarm the alarm has nothing to do with the code you are asked for when first starting the bike. If you want to be able to arm the alarm by using the fob and do not want the alarm to arm when you remove the keys from the ignition then you must perform the below sequence.

1. Start the engine, then shut it off. Set the manual alarm by pushing the key fob button within a few seconds of shut down. The system is now fully armed.
2. Immediately after arming it (the book says within 10 seconds) turn the key on, the alarm will beep once.
3. Push the arming button on the key fob 4 times. The bike will make a sound you never heard before (the book calls it a Boop) 4 times. This confirms that you did it right. If you don't hear 4 Boops, start over again.
4. Turn the key Off. The system is now ready for reprogramming.
5. Turn the key on then off 7 times and then one more time ON (a total of 8 turn-ons). The LED on the side panel (the "real" alarm indicator) should be on.
6. Press the key fob arming button twice. You should hear the weird Boop noise again, confirming the action.
7. Turn the ignition Off and then press the key fob button one last time to exit reprogramming mode.

The red blinker on the dash will continue to blink (it's a decoy and has nothing to do with the actual alarm system), but the Real alarm LED, on the front of the left side panel, will remain off. The alarm will now NOT automatically set. However, if you want to set the full alarm, just use the button.

Of Note, this is best done by having someone read you the steps quickly as you perform the steps. Speed in conducting the steps are key. It did take me a few attempts but i did get it. I now do not have to worry about the alarm, however i can use the FOB to arm the alarm if i want to.
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here