Author Topic: New computer time...NGC  (Read 2680 times)

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
New computer time...NGC
« on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »

Greetings all!

Seems like my HP desktop is getting a "hard drive failure is imminent" error. So was shopping around for a new one.

Best Buy has a nice HP Ryzen unit. Probably more power than I will ever use but good reviews.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-desktop-amd-ryzen-3-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-ash-silver/6221035.p?skuId=6221035

Then I found the same unit at this place:

https://www.discountscube.com/products/HP-%252d-Pavilion-Desktop-%252d-AMD-Ryzen-3%252dSeries-%252d-8GB-Memory-%252d-1TB-Hard-Drive-%252d-HP-Finish-In-Ash-Silver.html

The pricing at discountscube seems to good to be true. Contacted them and they said it was new with 1 year warranty.

Anyone have any dealings with discountscube? $200 difference between the 2 companies just seems to raise a red flag with me. Also with dealing locally with Best Buy I have 2 stores close by in case anything goes wrong. However my current HP has run well for 6 years, until now.

Is it worth the risk? Is there really a "risk" or is this type of price difference common with online computer dealers?

The Guzzi in me wants to go with the :good deal" but is it really???

Just thought I would ask the family for opinions.....

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New computer time...NGC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:33:56 PM »
I check Dell's refurbished list.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com

My last 3 computers have come from there.  Really good deals.  Never had any issues with the refurbished ones.  they come with a full warranty.

also, try Edealinfo.com or slick deals.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
Bought lots of systems from Dell off lease systems. Never had a complaint. Pay less than half for something a couple of years below "bleeding edge". Let someone else pay the depreciation.

I also get and install two identical LARGE hard drives. About a Terabyte or more. They are cheap enough now. I set them up as identical mirrors. That way if one fails the other preserves the data. At failure I just replace the failed drive and rebuild the mirror set.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
A new hard drive would be cheaper. (Guzzista content)
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:18:48 PM »
A new hard drive would be cheaper. (Guzzista content)

I've been using the same Asus for about 7 years now. Replaced the HD twice. Upgraded memory and DVD to Blu-Ray. If the computer works far easier and cheaper to clone a drive.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:02:40 PM »
Hmmmm..
Might have to look into just replacing the drive. I am not a power user and have been happy with my current desktop.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Jeff S
Fruita CO

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 12:59:45 AM »
Bought lots of systems from Dell off lease systems. Never had a complaint. Pay less than half for something a couple of years below "bleeding edge". Let someone else pay the depreciation

The same here.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:26 AM »
Hmmmm..
Might have to look into just replacing the drive. I am not a power user and have been happy with my current desktop.

If you can find someone to clone and replace it, and get an SSD drive installed, it will also be faster. Though you will likely not have as much storage.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
If you can find someone to clone and replace it, and get an SSD drive installed, it will also be faster. Though you will likely not have as much storage.
+1

SSD for the operating system and storage on a peripheral drive. As long as the components of the current machine aren't going to be out dated by external updates (or your machine is an Apple product) I see no reason to be forced to buy an entirely new machine. That's like buying a new vehicle because the engine has failed.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
     Also purchased one of the refurbished dell optiplex line desk tops a year ago and am very happy with it, cosmetically could not tell it had ever been used. Came with windows i5 processor, 10 pro 64 bit -2TB hard drive and under $300 delivered.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:22:25 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
Time for both Fay and I to replace our computers too, and been wondering what to do ....

Mine's a 2008 iMac desktop running "El Capitan" 10.11.5 ... which is the 2016 issue, and the latest version that it will run.   The newest OSX for iMacs won't run on my hardware, so 10 years is apparently how long Apple "supports" their hardware, which isn't too bad I suppose.

Tempted to get another Apple iMac because in 10 years I haven't had a single hardware or software problem, no worm or virus invasions, and it does just what I want.   The only downside is a reluctance for the system to connect to Windows or Android systems via Bluetooth or "AFT" to transfer data like photos, so I have to use a memory stick or pull a SD card to get data to it.

Fay's got a 2011 Windows ASUS laptop which is failing hardware-wise.   It lives a hard life being hauled around the house, dropped on the floor etc so it's probably justifiably terminal.   It's downside is Microsoft constantly hammering on the door to install giant new upgrades and programs that we don't want or need, ignoring the fact that we've set the "Metered Connection, DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD" switch.   It's running Windows 10 but has been struggling even though it's fully loaded with memory.

It's times like these I realize what a Scrooge I am when it comes to unbelting a few shillings for appliances like this ..... I'm reading the recommendations here with interest.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
I check Dell's refurbished list.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com

My last 3 computers have come from there.  Really good deals.  Never had any issues with the refurbished ones.  they come with a full warranty.

also, try Edealinfo.com or slick deals.

Old Head
Do this, also check out weekly clearance sale items. :thumb:
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies! Will check out the Dell site and price disk drives.

The only reason I'm considering replacing the unit is it's 5-6 years old. Not really THAT old but
who knows what else might be needing replacement.

Will run this system until it finally quits. Have what little data I want saved so no rush making
the decision.

Again...Thanks!!!!

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
As a tech and someone that owns a computer repair shop, I'll tell you to replace the hard drive. Put a SSD in it, upgrade the Ram to the maximum and you'll be competing with the newer laptops at less than half the price probably.

Find yourself a 1-3 man computer operation and let them work their magic. Don't worry too much about other things going out. If you keep it blown out and liquids away from it, you'll be fine.  Dust build up (heat) and liquid spills are the 2 main reasons laptops don't see the 10 year mark.  5 years old is nothing.

Just my $.02
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
Last year I bought a refurb hp 8470p for my son. It is fast  and reliable.
My wife's laptop developed a short and will not even think about starting up.
For christmas she will be getting a refurb 8470p I bought though newegg.com. $194 for a grade A, which means it looks like it was never used.
Began setting it up last night and it is running good. Left it on overnight so microsoft could do what ever they liked.

I will never buy a dell again. They have a "safety" "feature" that will not allow the battery to charge if it loses communication with the power supply. When we had 3 dells, it felt like I should have a subscription for power supply replacements.

Edit: when purchasing a refurb, check out the vendor review. The product review less useful, as your choice will be unique for wear and tear.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:51:35 PM by xackley »
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 10:53:38 PM »
Since I bought my laptop the mouse pad was jittery when plugged in, smooth and stable when on battery. An internet search showed it was a known problem. Short in the power jack. I lived with it for years. Six months ago I began having problems charging. Had to hold the power cable in just the right position. Searching the internet, again, there were lots of instructions for desoldering and soldering in a new power jack. One place even offered the service for $100. Looking more in depth I noticed my ASUS has a separate board that the jack was mounted. Seemed stupid to desolder and replace a $5 jack when I could replace the entire board assembly for $16.50. Good as new! I have no idea what advantage I'd have replacing my computer. It works great! I guess a new one would be lighter. (Oh, full disclosure I did break my mouse pad connector ribbon. That cost me an extra $30 for that part . But that was my clumsy fault. THEN I was good as new.)

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »
Thanks for all the good ideas!

Just to be clear my desktop computer went bad...my tablet and laptop are still working fine....
For now!

My wife said buy the new desktop and fix the other one and put it in the garage.
I have had a computer in the garage before and it was very handy to have.

So looks like this is a win-win.

Ride safe and often....

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here