Author Topic: 2003 Cali, what were the faults?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
2003 Cali, what were the faults?
« on: November 22, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
Greetings Guzzisti,
I've been away from the fold for a long time but considering a 2003 Cali for my return. It has 80,000K's on the clock.
It is apparently well serviced and I am going to inspect it tomorrow.
I have forgotten which years had which faults. I would be very grateful if someone could remind me of the possibilities please.
A single plate clutch perhaps I'm told. Why was it a bad thing? Cracking triple trees, easy to inspect, maybe cracking wheel rims, I had that on my Cali3 from 93 so I wasn't expecting any of that with an 03. No idea what else could be lurking in this bike.
Thanks,
Dan

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
Re: 2003 Cali, what were the faults?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 03:50:23 PM »
If it has 80K on the clock, it does not have the Single plate clutch (They fail about 10K miles I know from experience) and if it is a Hydro (Hydraulic Valves) the recalls must have been completed They failed before 10K miles. I love the California EV series they are great bikes!

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
You will still want to adjust the valves if it is a hydro motor.  TDC, loosen adjusting screw, screw in 1-1/2 turn preload.  I would inspect the rocker arms and valve stem for wear.  Due to the extra oil journals, the rocker arms and valve stem do not get a good oil supply and they wear. 

Ride it until it breaks, fix it and ride it some more.  Outside of the cam and hydro lifter, the bike is identical to all the other 1100 Tonti engines. A Valtek timing chain tensioner is a good upgrade.  Technically a hydro valve engine is better than a solid lifter engine.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 04:13:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I had forgotten about the hydro but had always wanted to try one. They are reputed to be the smoothest of the EV's and as you say , by 80K it must have had the recall. Service records are apparently with the bike so I'll be checking them thoroughly.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 04:13:15 PM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »
I had a 2003 Aluminum with hydro motor. It was a great bike . It had the recall done at 10 K miles, but it came with the 2 plate clutch, no cracks in the triple clamp. If cared for and sorted, it should be a great bike.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »
I was told by several well respected guzzi men that the 98 and 03 iirc where some of the best bikes mondello ever made. I don’t know why those two years were mentioned specifically. My 98 was a great bike.  Would be nice to have a well sorted hydro bike someday
1994 California 1100

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 05:21:17 PM »
I was told by several well respected guzzi men that the 98 and 03 iirc where some of the best bikes mondello ever made. I don’t know why those two years were mentioned specifically. My 98 was a great bike. 
They are ALL fantastic until they’re not. I love my Norge more than any bike I’ve ever had, but at one one stage on my last trip, I wished it was a Honda…. :embarrassed: :angry:
All good the following day… :kiss:

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 06:21:01 PM »
My 03 Cali was possibly the best running Guzzi I owned . Bought from Moto International, it had  the dual plate clutch, external fuel pump and other particulars I can't remember, but Dave Richardson (Guzziology) did, and after some commuting and touring miles on a Triumph 1200 Trophy, it was a welcome return to MG, and particularly Tonti Calis.
The  hydro recall was done at approx 37k miles .The parts removed looked as good as new  but then  the engine gained  new tappet noises  with the replacement  parts  that I did not hear before the recall . At the same time the odometer failed and was recalled under warranty.
The odometer failed again 36k miles later , this time without a replacement.
The dual plate clutches were not without fault either as the metal would shear (on one of the plates) so the clutch would slip  when in excess of 4k  RPM.  As  this had already occurred on my Cali 1100I ( at  about the same 40k mileage) , I was not surprised. .
The fix back then was to use Mark Etheridge's (Moto Guzzi Classics)  heavy duty clutch discs. No issues with the lower triple clamps for me, but the chromed aluminum tubeless Behr wheels  tended to corrode from residual brake dust and grime .
From having owned both early EFI and carb versions 1100s, the 03 was certainly better all round imo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 06:25:36 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 10:58:48 PM »
I had two "hydros" and they were the best of many bikes I've owned.  Only age and a very slight construction (me, not the bikes) caused me to sell them and move down in weight to an '04 Breva 750, a lovely bike but no match for a "hydro".

More knowledgeable forum members than I may correct me, but John C., I don't believe the hydros' valve adjustments are changeable once the 2d valve gear recall was performed as the tops of the valve clearance adjuster screws are then snapped off to prevent any future meddling with the valve clearances.  I suspect, tho, if a valve replacement is performed it would be desirable to check and possibly reset the clearance.  Perhaps in such instances the OEM adjusting screws are available and can be used to adjust clearance and then the tops snapped off.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 04:59:21 AM »
You will still want to adjust the valves if it is a hydro motor.  TDC, loosen adjusting screw, screw in 1-1/2 turn preload.  I would inspect the rocker arms and valve stem for wear.  Due to the extra oil journals, the rocker arms and valve stem do not get a good oil supply and they wear. 

I do not understand.  How often should the Hydro valves be adjusted?
He lost the run of himself.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 07:05:52 AM »
I do not understand.  How often should the Hydro valves be adjusted?

Never , as in , not ever you dummy. Sheesh, where you bin man? These things just fill up wiv oil and squish out just at the right time and make the engine run real smooth dude. I've boned up on it and discussed it with Lawyers Gurus and Priests. And they all say, yer Hydro is a very smooth and wonderful thing. Sounds like it might be nearly as good as my Ducati but I doubt it. No Guzzi is going to match that thing for smooth power and grunt. Well not a Cali anyrate. Maybe a GhezziBrian or one of those really tricked up numbers. Not even the 8 valve surpasses my cheap as shit ST3 dude.  I just can't understand why these ST3's are so damn cheap.  People got freaked out by the servicing costs cause they can't even change a belt. WTF? $30 and 3 or 4 hours every 20K miles? Or pay the man $250 every three years.
But hey, I'm here because I'm probably going to become a Guzzisti again so why bother mentioning the Dark Side?
I'll be instantly de-linking the idiotic brakes and swapping the ridiculous handlebars and organising a set of pegs to get rid of those boards that I hate with a passion. Otherwise I think one of these Calis is going to be a very nice cruiser and shopping trolley. At the moment I can get a slab of beer into each side of my ST3 hard bags and a box of port in the top box along with the groceries. But I'm assuming that the Cali will match this facility and become the go to bike for such jaunts. We will see. Photos to come. Cheers.

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 07:23:20 AM »
Pop one of the valve covers off and inspect to see if the recall has been done.
Same with the clutch - pop the rubber plug off and inspect.

There are several threads here with pictures of what to look for.....

And you should NEVER have to adjust the valves.

The ITI speedos were crap - the odo and trip meters all failed.

Good Luck!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 07:35:44 AM »

I have pulled the top off two hydro engines and just received a set of salvage heads.  All have valve stem and rocker wear at less than 25,000 miles. 

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 08:28:28 AM »
Ok. Thanks John. I still would like to know:
How often do you adjust Hydro valves?
Aren’t the adjusters removed?  How do you adjust the valves without adjusters?

Thanks.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 08:36:45 AM »
Hydros a nice motor but in 20 years I think I've needed to adjust my 02's regular valves twice. The first time to go to euro specs and the second to tweak it. It's never moved since.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
If it has an internal fuel pump it is best to replace the fuel line from pump to filter with proper hose and clamps as the hose tended to come off of the fuel pump.  DonG

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 04:36:56 PM »
They are ALL fantastic until they’re not. I love my Norge more than any bike I’ve ever had, but at one one stage on my last trip, I wished it was a Honda…. :embarrassed: :angry:
All good the following day… :kiss:
Huzo, I am a big Norton and Guzzi fan, over the years travelling I have on occasion though “ why didn’t I just buy a Honda” but the truth is I would have no stories to tell !
Gino

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 06:24:48 AM »
Hydros a nice motor but in 20 years I think I've needed to adjust my 02's regular valves twice. The first time to go to euro specs and the second to tweak it. It's never moved since.

When I first got my low mile '02 I had to adjust them a few times, but since I havent had to touch them.. Plus it takes a whole 15 min to do it.. 

That being said, I hear so many of you that have spent so many miles on guzzis of all sorts, rave about the power and smoothness of the 1100 hydro motor, there has to be something about it.
Paul B

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 07:51:48 AM »
Huzo, I am a big Norton and Guzzi fan, over the years travelling I have on occasion though “ why didn’t I just buy a Honda” but the truth is I would have no stories to tell !
Gino
That is certainly true Gino.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »
When I first got my low mile '02 I had to adjust them a few times, but since I havent had to touch them.. Plus it takes a whole 15 min to do it.. 

That being said, I hear so many of you that have spent so many miles on guzzis of all sorts, rave about the power and smoothness of the 1100 hydro motor, there has to be something about it.
Well, I guess “power” is a subjective term.
As long as you never ride a Ducati Diavel or such, you should be ok.

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 05:17:50 PM »
Ok. Thanks John. I still would like to know:
How often do you adjust Hydro valves?
Aren’t the adjusters removed?  How do you adjust the valves without adjusters?

Thanks.

OK.  Since there has been no answer:  the Hydraulic valve Guzzis need NO VALVE ADJUSTMENTS.

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 01:21:46 PM »
  I would say the fault is the seat! I had mine altered by Sargents and its much better.  Just thinking about that stock seat my buns ache....
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Jose Mendez

• Gosling
  • Clear Skies, Smooth Roads, Soft Seat
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2022, 05:27:22 PM »
I have over 450,000 miles on my 2003 EV 1100. Went through all the upgrades as mentioned above. Look closely at the Triple Tree, (I believe that is what's called), for cracks. It may have been a recall item. I had three speedos, all covered under warranty, and they all quit about 12,000 miles. I wish the axel would last longer. I been through 4 of them.  The seat is not comfortable after the first 300 miles. I use an Air Hawk.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here