General Category > General Discussion

SUV Advice

(1/5) > >>

Bulldog9:
My daughter has been driving my 2006 Commander. I "sold" it to her about 5 years ago. The beast has been faithful and gave 200K mostly trouble free miles, but is making odd noises and is about ready to go out to pasture.

She is an avid hiker and likes to go off road and needs something with the same capability and interior space, but not necessarily a rock climber, etc. She is leaning towards the Outback which is a great AWD lifted wagon, but not sure on its off road prowess. My gut says to recommend into a newer Grand Cherokee, but I know they sell a couple others like the Cherokee and car based Compass and Renegade (I think too small)

Anyone have experience or ownership of the recent Jeep Cherokee, Compass or Renegade?

Also happy to hear other vehicle experiences

She is in the $20K range.

Ryan:
I am on my second Subaru Outback. It is awesome in the snow, best rig I have ever had for that. I use winter tires. Off-road experience has been limited to fire roads and some not too rough 2-track. With proper tires, it goes most places I need. When I am going into really rough stuff, I take the Suburban. I was an auto broker for years, and in my experience the Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee are crap. Transmission failures lead the list, followed by electrical issues and an engine fire. Keep in mind I hated these rigs, and over a decade I sold fewer than 20. The Subaru is not perfect and will not replace a Wrangler for serious off-roading. If she wants something with better off-road chops, take a look at the Xterra.

Shorty:
When asking our very trusted auto mechanic what to buy to replace our aging Chevy SUV, he said "Just buy a late model Toyota. But then, I'll probably never see you again."

john fish:
I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.  Depending on who you ask, these are the best unknown cars out there, or ticking time bombs that will definitely blow up on you.  The FB groups seem to show that they are very reliable.  The AWD system has worked great for me but I do no offroading.  All in all, I'm very pleased with my choice.

So, I recommend Toyota.   :thumb:  It's a known quantity. 

Bulldog9:

--- Quote from: john fish on June 03, 2023, 06:17:25 AM ---I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.  Depending on who you ask, these are the best unknown cars out there, or ticking time bombs that will definitely blow up on you.  The FB groups seem to show that they are very reliable.  The AWD system has worked great for me but I do no offroading.  All in all, I'm very pleased with my choice.

So, I recommend Toyota.   :thumb:  It's a known quantity.

--- End quote ---

I really like the look of the Outlander, but agree it is more AWD than the 4WD she needs. From what I understand several of the new Outlanders are based on Nissans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version