Author Topic: How many Guzzis in your neighborhood? More Guzzi owners than we think?  (Read 17746 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How many Guzzis in your neighborhood? More Guzzi owners than we think?
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
Aside from the Harley/Clones of which there are three and they only seem to see the light of day during the "season" and at that, only on event weekends - the total number in the neighborhood is however many I have at the house at any given time.

They're thin on the ground in my neighborhood.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Feliz

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »
Five...and all mine. About 75 homes.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:47 AM »
This socal ride that just happened last weekend pulled a lot more people out from Facebook in the local area. I had not imagined this many would own Guzzi. Hell, there are 3 or 4 at least in the next town over. Within a 10 mile radius I bet there's 5 or 6 easy.

What happened? I'm happy and upset all at the same time. Happy Guzzi is becoming more known, more sales, which means better stuff in the future, but I'm upset because it'll be more known and won't draw as many stares. More happy than upset tho.

How many Guzzi's are in your neighborhood? Not including all 12 in your garage.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »
I've never seen one within a 50 mile radius of me.  I rode to the DC area and back twice and never passed one.  In fact the only Guzzis I've seen anywhere near here were at the Bull City Rumble, which is a fairly large meet in Durham for Japanese and European motorcycles.  There are usually a couple Guzzis there.

Oh, and there was one in the garage of the Raleigh Guzzi owner I bought my Mille from.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:08:51 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
We just recently had a discussion about "How many Guzzis are in your area/On your street?" but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Every once in a while you can get shocked by seeing several Guzzis together.   One day Greg King and I were out riding on our Centauros, just on a random ride in Virginia, and before the day was out we met TWO other Centauros, and didn't know the owners of either of them.  

Based on that, you'd have thought that Centauros were becoming as common as Harley FXDS-whatevers, or as Chevy Malibus.  But there never were or are very many; sometimes it just seems like it.

I can name about 12 Moto Guzzis within 50 miles of me ... we see a lot of them on our 3rd Saturday lunch rides.    But if I go out on an all day ride, and I see a Moto Guzzi, I'll hit the brakes, do a U-turn, and chase him down, it's such a rare occasion!

Piaggio, with their well-known level of customer service, final build quality, and their non-support of their own dealers, will continue to assure that Moto Guzzis are rare in this country, and that you have to have a particular enthusiasm for them in order to put up with the overall owner experience, so no worries there!!

Lannis
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:09:56 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »
I was riding through town last fall on the lemans and a guy rode by on a t3, I turned around and pulled up next to him and asked if anyone was hurt in the crash. We got a good laugh and I made a new friend. Turns out he's been a guzzi owner since the late 70's.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 10:16:02 AM »
In 1998 shortly after I got my Centauro, I was with a coworker going to lunch. He ask "why Moto Guzzi?". I replied something about them being unique, and you don't see them all the time. Just as I said that, a red Centauro rode by.  :o
There could have only been a couple of hundred in the entire US at the time.    ::)

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »

I can name about 12 Moto Guzzis within 50 miles of me...

This about right for me as well.

Charlie

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »
Once in a while I see a guy on a newer Stelvio in town but other than that its mostly pirates or hipsters on HD's.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
In the last month, there has been and EV on Craigslist and an EV on Ebay only miles from where I live.

I've never seen the bikes on the road, and I've never known them to participate here.

It's like that with cars, too.  There is always something cool tucked in a garage, just under your nose, and you don't know about it until it's listed for sale somewhere.

It's a rare occasion that I see another Guzzi on the road.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »
Yep, rare to see any.

But, on our sunday morning bike gathering there is frequently another Guzzi or sometimes even two!

I think one other guy and I are the only ones in town with just one Goose each.  Seems like the rest all have 3 or 4 each (or 20 in the case of Forslund :)  ).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
Figure I'm the only guy with Moto Guzzis & Piaggio MP3s within 100 miles of my town.  If you live  in/near high density areas they are not so rare.  My nearest dealers are 150 miles away and I hardly ever need them.    Some people here are aware of MGs but most have yet to be aware of MP3s and I've lived here 5.5 years.  ALL my rides are rare because that's the way I like it.  ;-T  uh-huh   uh-huh   We live on Rte. 66  so all  manner of bikes are possibly seen go by our house.    Most are Harleys, Japanese, BMWs year round.   Packs of Harleys are most common.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
A Griso somewhere near me.  Occasionally I see an older model around town.
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

dibble

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »
I recently went to a Waitangi Day pizza party at a friends,everyone there lives within a 200 yard radius, host and guests own

'67 Bonniville
 Ducati 900SS
Ducati 900SL
Rudge
Honda RS250
V50II
VFR800
Honda CRM
Mk1 LeMans
Ducati Bevel
Triton
Velocette
Triumph Adventure
a JAP engine looking for a home

That was between 4 of us

We discussed friends within the same 200yd radius who have
4x Morinis
Laverda SF
Laverda SFC
Cafe Racered Big Block
GSXR 1100 Slabbie
Enfield 500
Stelvio
Breva

There are lots of UJMs around as well

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:08:49 PM by dibble »

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
Lots of young folks buying V7's in Portland. Norge, Stelvio and California buyers tend to be older. Hipsters are the future. Not sure why that term is used ( is it the hats?) since most seem pretty regular. Frank Sinatra wore funny hats, was he a hipster?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:00:20 PM by MMNorth »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
Lots of young folks buying V7's in Portland. Norge, Stelvio and California buyers tend to be older. Hipsters are the future. Not sure why that term is used ( is it the hats?) since most seem pretty regular. Frank Sinatra wore funny hats, was he a hipster?

Dunno , and yes  :D

Hipster

Dusty

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

Excerpt:

We just recently had a discussion about "How many Guzzis are in your area/On your street?" but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Lannis

This one?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74023.0q

;-T
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »
As long as they keep selling Moto Guzzis, there will be more Moto Guzzi riders.
Let's say the local dealer sells 20 Guzzis a year. In 5 years that is 100 people riding Guzzis.
In 10 years that number grows to 200.
In Seattle we have always had a Moto Guzzi presence. I remember seeing them in the 1970's

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »
Yeah, [Semper], I thought I'd identified the few Guzzistas within hailing distance, you being among them, but that ride brought out several that I was unaware of. I'm looking forward to the next get-together.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2015, 07:31:18 PM »
I'm new on Gail's street of about two dozen townhomes, each with a two-car garage.  In addition to my three bikes, I'm aware of a BMW 1200, a bored-out Virago and a low-mileage mint W-650, which I got to ride around the block.  I'm sure a couple of dirt bikes will appear as the weather grows warmer.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Frulk

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »
Since I started looking for them after I bought a V7 in August of 2014 I have seen a whopping ZERO Guzzis on the roads of northern Utah where I live. That's prob close to 10-12K miles of driving with 3K of that on the bike during those 7-8 months. I had the bike being serviced last week at the dealer in Salt Lake and two Guzzi's were sitting there getting ready to be worked on. A V7 Stone and a V7R (but I think the V7R was a floor model). I do know that somebody used to post on this site from south of SLC (Provo?) that owned a V7R. So there are at least three Guzzis in this general 70-100 mile north/south area.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:36:15 PM by Frulk »

lucydad

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2015, 07:36:53 PM »
I know the Houston area has a lot of Guzzis.  Rarely see them on the road.  Saw a 750 Breva, just once, at a local Shell station.

It would be interesting to organize a Houston area Guzzi rendezvous at Brazos Bend Park early summer.  See how many V-twins could be drawn in?

Good idea there.  Maybe offer prizes for oldest bike, farthest ride, bike with most miles, bike with least miles and dirtiest bike?  Maybe Italian ribboned home made medals with some sort of Latin phrase?  Guzzi banner and Italian flag waving in the breeze and the alligators wondering if we were good to eat?  Reserve some camping?

oldbike54

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
I know the Houston area has a lot of Guzzis.  Rarely see them on the road.  Saw a 750 Breva, just once, at a local Shell station.

It would be interesting to organize a Houston area Guzzi rendezvous at Brazos Bend Park early summer.  See how many V-twins could be drawn in?

Good idea there.  Maybe offer prizes for oldest bike, farthest ride, bike with most miles, bike with least miles and dirtiest bike?  Maybe Italian ribboned home made medals with some sort of Latin phrase?  Guzzi banner and Italian flag waving in the breeze and the alligators wondering if we were good to eat?  Reserve some camping?

Greg , you are the perfect point man for this thing , get on it  ;-T

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2015, 11:41:54 PM »
Just me.  :'(

Get more riders hooked while they are young! ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:52:16 PM by Penderic »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »
If you want to see a lot of Guzzis all you have to do is go to any MGNOC rally.  ;)  You won't see as many as at the Guzzi rallies in Europe but for here the most available in 1 place.  ;-T  Iowa rallies usually have about 500 riders show up.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Boulder is, of course, home to the University of Colorado, one of the nation's great party schools. The town is full of 19-year-old frat boys driving $60,000 Hummers and Porsches, and co-eds driving the latest retro-cute Euromite.  Of course there's a lot of Ducatis, Triumphs and maybe a dozen Guzzis amongst the transient undergraduate population.  Half a dozen members of WG within hailing distance.

I now reside in Gail's neighborhood of about 50 townhomes, and thus far count one W650, one BMW 1200, one bored-out Virago, and my three bikes. We'll see what shows up when snow season is well and truly done.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
Yea! It's why I have one, let's see, these cover a few nearby counties, cause that is my neighborhood.

Chet- Has two, Bassa and Cali Special
Gary- one, EV
Dean- two, Jackals
Steve - one, Bassa
Tony- one, Bassa or Cali Special, can't remember
Bernie- one, EV
Burton- one, Jackal
Louis- one, Bassa
Myself- one, Jackal
Roger- one, EV -his son, one Stone

Quite the group when we all get together at a camp-out.

2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »

Be careful...  You'll be hosting a rally, if you don't watch it!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
Be careful...  You'll be hosting a rally, if you don't watch it!

May have to be careful when you define "Houston area"
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here